Thread: Happy Birthday Escape Pod

Default Happy Birthday Escape Pod

30 years ago a nice couple who had just retired bought a new coleman canoe, they were ready to take it across the country on all sorts of adventures. But after taking it out once they realized that something not so human powered and maybe on a trailer would better suit their needs. And so the canoe languished in a garage for a year and a half after only being in the water once. And then a man heard about the canoe and picked it up from the retired couple the week after mothers day and brought the canoe to northern Colorado. The man and the canoe started to go on short trips, and tried out different lakes. Some lakes were too big and full jetskiis that would buzz the canoe and the man. Some lakes were too small and the canoe and the man got bored. And then one day a new lake opened and it was perfect if a little exposed and breezy at times. The man took women out on dates in the canoe, to find one that liked to paddle. The one that liked to paddle may have only been pretending but she had two young sons and until they discovered play station and girls the canoe and the man and the boys went out almost every week while the weather was nice. And sometimes when the weather was cold the canoe, the man and the boys would go out to play ice breaker, when there was just bit of ice on top like a pane of glass. and for many years the canoe and the man went out to the lake several times a year as the boys grew old the woman wouldn't want to go out and canoe. The canoe was a good place to relax and not think about the troubles that come with middle age, mortgages and teenagers. The canoe became know as the escape pod, since it also looks like a pea pod. The only time the canoe needed some help is when the boys piled snow on top and used it for a sled hill. But the man found someone who could weld aluminum and fixed the cracked keel tube and the canoe has been fine every since

It finally happened that the man was looking for another woman who liked to paddle and found a few women who did like to paddle. One liked to paddle so much the man decided to keep her around for a while. But the woman found a paddle board and the man liked to paddle board and the canoe sat outside again. For the last 9 years the canoe only went out once every two years. The canoe just sat in the dirt next to barn covered in snow or sun and became a mouse and snake habitat.

Last year the woman got very sick and there was no paddle boarding. This year the man vowed to get out on the water again and friend of the man wanted to go fishing. The canoe spent an early morning on the lake again, and heard laughter, saw the small mouth get released, felt the half a cold beer spill on the bottom, just like old times. And while driving to the lake the man realized that it was the canoes 30th birthday. 30 years of providing escape with no demands other than a place to keep a 15-foot long pea pod. The man and the canoe vowed to to get in more trips to the lake this year.
    2022canoe-sm.jpg

Cheers old friend,
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Default Re: Happy Birthday Escape Pod

The fiberglass canoe that I bought 51 years ago now sits in my boat shed waiting for another season.
    It rarely sees the water but when it does, fine memories return.
    Only two women have paddled with me. A college girlfriend and my wife of 42 years.
    My kids learned to paddle in that canoe, but most outings are by myself.
    Nothing finer than paddling on a quiet calm lake.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

well written
    i enjoyed that
    thanks
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I enjoyed it too. Thankyou.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

A lovely reflection. Here's to more days on the lake!

Thanks, Switters.
    That's a great read.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Enjoyed that. Our Coleman, in the family for ummm, 50 yrs? Is red and sits out back. Not often used, but has much fun under it's belt.

Nice. Our family still owns the 18’ Grumman Lightweight that our grandfather purchased new around 1955. It now sees its fifth generation of the family.