Thread: Repair to bottom of Mirror hull

Default Repair to bottom of Mirror hull

A few years back I picked up a wooden Mirror dinghy to keep at my in-laws', and use a few times a year when I'm visiting. I have no space to store it inside, and so I keep it wrapped under a cover and a tarp when I'm not there.

Over Easter, I went to take a look at it, to see how it fared over the winter. I noticed that the bottom of the hull, under the mast step was very soft, and I was easily able to push my thumb through - after a bit of clean up, I was left with the hole you can see in the picture here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...aC?usp=sharing.

I'm hoping to fix it well enough that I can use it for another couple of years, but I'm not looking to do a major repair (this was a craigslist special, with no sentimental value, etc.).

My thought was that I could get away with epoxying a plywood patch to the inside, which overlapped the hole, then flip the boat and fill the "cavity" with another plywood patch and some thickened epoxy. The patch on the outside would not offer anything structural, just reduce the amount of epoxy needed.

My main concern is that patch on the inside would not have enough overlap: the hole is very close to a fore-and-aft running bulkhead which supports the deck. If that was the case, I'd think to cover the patch on the outside with a layer of glass.

What are you thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Repair to bottom of Mirror hull

Two possible solutions. Whichever you do. Cut the hole square so that you will not need so much epoxy filler.
    The old school way:- it will not be hard to shave away the edges of the hole and scarf in a patch. Back it up to add strength.
    The Wizbang way:- there will be polyester and glass tape between the bulkhead and bottom. Scrape that back and glue your doubler in with a big fillet of thickened epoxy against the bulkhead. Then flip her and fill the hollow.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

You'll have a hard time finding 5mm ply to match the original but you could scarf in a chunk of 6mm so the thick stock is inside. Here's a good thread to look through. It ain't rocket science, so whatever you do's probably gonna work for a while. Do stick with epoxy over poly...
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-mirror-dinghy

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    You'll have a hard time finding 5mm ply to match the original...
    I have a bunch of Tubois 5mm okoume ply (mics @ 5.3), currently several scraps I could USPS over to Brooklyn if it'd help you Dan.

PM me your mailing address & an idea of how much you might need. Postage'd be enough in return.
    When the people wanted the Constitution amended, it was amended. When the elites wanted the Constitution amended, but the people did not, that is called democracy."

Thomas Sowell, JWR August 3, 2022

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

mi na scape Nick, mi ah GRIND !
    but yea you got it

Thanks for so all the advice, and the link to that thread.

Sp_clark, thanks for the offer, I'll send a pm tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sp_clark View Post
    I have a bunch of Tubois 5mm okoume ply (mics @ 5.3), currently several scraps I could USPS over to Brooklyn if it'd help you Dan.

PM me your mailing address & an idea of how much you might need. Postage'd be enough in return.
    I tried to send a PM but the app was a bit funky and I don't know if it was sent. Let me know if you don't receive one.

Yeah I got it but I'm not having much joy trying to figger out whether the reply I drafted (twice actually) ever got sent.

$10 will get it delivered on Saturday, $28 if you're hot enough to pay for delivery late Wednesday. I'll need your full mailing address, I can ship tomorrow. We can settle up later, I take USPS Forever stamps if that's OK w/you. Or Venmo, though I've never used that.

Quote Originally Posted by sp_clark View Post
    Yeah I got it but I'm not having much joy trying to figger out whether the reply I drafted (twice actually) ever got sent.

$10 will get it delivered on Saturday, $28 if you're hot enough to pay for delivery late Wednesday. I'll need your full mailing address, I can ship tomorrow. We can settle up later, I take USPS Forever stamps if that's OK w/you. Or Venmo, though I've never used that.
    Wood came today, looks perfect.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it given how little I needed and how hard it is to find 5mm.

Great! Thanks for the closure.

And yes, I find the PM feature here to be confusing at best. Doesn’t behave like how other forums, using the same software, leave me when I make use of them.

Take pics as you work your repair, post ‘em here. We all learn by what others show us.
    When the people wanted the Constitution amended, it was amended. When the elites wanted the Constitution amended, but the people did not, that is called democracy."

Thomas Sowell, JWR August 3, 2022