Thread: Andersen bailer Lubrication

Default Andersen bailer Lubrication

What's a good grease/lubricant for new Andersen Bailer? Would like to avoid silicone.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Default Re: Andersen bailer Lubrication

The chain lube that I use on the trikes is a wax lube that I made after watching a YouTube video, a mixture of melted parafin (I used a couple old pans for a double boiler out in the driveway) mixed with some parafin oil (sold as lamp oil) and some Xylene. It's nice as it doesn't pick up dirt or get your hands greasy if you touch the chain. I spilled some on the driveway in one spot when I was transferring it to a jar and that stuff is still there after two years of weather and sun. If you don't want to make your own, most decent bicycle stores will have small bottles of similar wax-based stuff for sale.

Anhydrous lanolin is another thing that doesn't lose it's lubricating properties over time. It's also good for threaded items like turnbuckles to keep them from corroding and seizing. Available at drugstores, etc. https://www.amazon.com/Lanolin-Anhyd...2812748&sr=8-5
    "So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby

I don't think they need lubrication,the water helps a lot.If you have a really sticky example it might be worth trying one of the dry PTFE spray lubes.

candle wax
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

I don't know if it's suitable for that application but I'm a huge fan of sheep tallow, it doesn't go rancid as opposed to tallow from other critters.
    I am also a fan of parafin oil, since it doesn't oxidice or solidify in other ways.

/Mats

Diagnosed with autism. Sorry, not much I can do about it.

I have never used anything.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Water.

Try Boeshield T-9. https://boeshield.com

Boeing developed it as an spray or aerosol wax to protect airframes from corrosion.

It's fundamentally a mixture of waxes dissolved volatile solvents. Apply it. The stuff creeps into any crevices or openings. Solvents evaporate, and you're left with a dry, wax coating.

I'd probably use the bicycle flavor - comes in a squeeze bottle, meant for bicycle chains and cables. But I doubt it makes much difference. Check the MSDS, but the primary difference is likely to be the wax:solvent ratio and whether it's aerosol, spray, or squeeze bottle.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)