Thread: Help finding skin-on-frame canoe plans

Default Help finding skin-on-frame canoe plans

Hello. I have looked and looked for plans on a decent tandem SOF canoe. I don't know if they're just not popular or what. Does anyone know of plans for something that will end up somewhat desirable? I've heard if you have brains you can work off of strip plank plans. I'm fairly handy with tools and wood, but I haven't a clue about boat design. I guess I'm looking for something 16' or so and not like pushing a tank through the water.

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Help finding skin-on-frame canoe plans

I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Gentry is good. Also this: https://gaboats.com/
    -Dave

Thanks. Ill look them over
    On another subject, I posted yesterday for the first time. 2 different subjects in 2 different categories at the same time. Is that frowned upon? I could've combined the posts, but figured one thing would be in the wrong category.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks. I hope to actually build something.

Also check into what Brian Schulz is up to at Cape Falcon. He's been doing a lot of open canoe work but they may be too short.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

You should also look at Cape Falcon: https://cape-falcon-kayak.thinkific....uilding-course

The canoe design is really a scalable building system. The video training content is vast and the designer, Brian Shulz, is innovative, constantly testing and refining and very helpful to a new builder. The plans and video course are combined - can't get one without the other.

I have built two of the F-1 kayaks and one solo 13'8" canoe. The biggest challenge (for me, in Alaska) is getting good quality green bending stock.

Ok. Thanks for the tips and references. I'll have to look at those in depth and see what way I'll go.

For what its worth, I consider Dave Gentry and Brian Schultz to be THE authorities on SOF boats.

If you want to build a traditional style boat (think lots of steam bent ribs), Brian at Capefalcon is the go to guy.

If you want to build a contemporary boat in fuselage style, Dave is the guy.

Either way, you can't go wrong. It just depends on what you want to build. The traditional boats are more of a project, in my opinion, but the results are visually stunning. The Gentry boats build faster, and result in a perfectly serviceable craft, albeit not quite as visually appealing as the traditional boats.

(note...no hate towards Dave nor his boats...I love what he's done for SOF builders...the above is simply a statement of my opinion on aesthetics between the two styles.)

Jeff Horton at Kudzu Craft boats has a few canoe plans for Fuselage frame boats, similar to Mr. Gentry’s methods. Mr. Horton uses lashing to secure the frames and stringers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what is fuselage construction? As opposed to other kind mentioned, which name seems to escape me right now. I think someone mentioned that Brian Schultz uses this other method. I hope someone understands my confusing message.

Edit: Ok. It was mentioned in cglynn's post. Fuselage as opposed to "traditional" construction. What's the difference?

Traditional style construction is the type Brian Shultz uses with steam bent ribs.

Non traditional style is the type Dave Gentry uses with plywood frames.

Fuselage frame construction is a term the Jeff Horton coined. It's the same as non traditional style construction.

That makes sense. I looked up Jeff Horton and I think I found a gold mine! I hope it isn't illegal and doesn't make anyone mad

I get the feeling from reading that SOF boats have been around so long, from so many regions, made with so many vastly different materials, and such different designs, that you pretty much can just pick your general size, start attaching sticks together, and make the shape you're goin for. I know that's over simplified, but I think I've possibly been overthinking the whole thing. Maybe my conclusion could help someone. I don't know.

Oops. Forgot to put the link.
    https://www.pdfdrive.com/fuselage-fr...186184384.html
    Last edited by Sunkenpunt; 05-29-2022 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garland reese View Post
    Jeff Horton at Kudzu Craft boats has a few canoe plans for Fuselage frame boats, similar to Mr. Gentry’s methods. Mr. Horton uses lashing to secure the frames and stringers.
    I can tell you that lashings, done the way Kudzucraft teaches them, are incredibly secure. Fun to have a boat with no glue or fasteners, and still be rock solid. Even fun to do, though a bit tedious after a while.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com