Thread: Hull colours to go with tanbark

Default Hull colours to go with tanbark

I am hoping by mid-summer to start work on a duckpunt. While a dead simple boat by any means, I find myself considering other hull colours besides the traditional battleship grey. I would like something that is a little easier to see by passing powerboats as the hull of a duckpunt has very little freeboard, and I want to use tankbark instead of white for the sail.

Suggestions?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Default Re: Hull colours to go with tanbark

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    I am hoping by mid-summer to start work on a duckpunt. While a dead simple boat by any means, I find myself considering other hull colours besides the traditional battleship grey. I would like something that is a little easier to see by passing powerboats as the hull of a duckpunt has very little freeboard, and I want to use tankbark instead of white for the sail.

Suggestions?
    Look at Amish Robs posts.

P.S. Powerboat drivers are curious idiots. If they see something unusual like a punt, they are just as likely to do a close pass to better see what you are.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The tanbark sail will show up very nicely in almost all conditions, but a light ochre hull colour goes well with it.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Or just an small accent of the tanbark color on the hull.
    IMG_0002.jpg

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

there is white

I do not have a tanbark sail; in fact, I don’t even have a real sail. Nobody should emulate what I do with boats.

If you are going to portage regularly, build it as lightly as possible. Mine has frames and the extra false strake, and though I only used 6mm ply, she still be heavy. Whoo! Hahaha. Which is not to say my boat’s heavy, but it ain’t the pink skiff.

My latest point job is solid with some slashy camo accent on the false strake, because I’m dumb.

688A0B1D-6D81-49B6-B839-1BABE72348DA.jpg

I think a light hull with dark trim would look sweet. Maybe a pale yellow? Whatever you do, it’s going to be a lovely boat. They’re fantastic.

Yellow was something I was considering. Going by Kirby paints' catalogue, I was thinking a very light gray like their "Aluminum gray"

aluminum gray.jpg

With a yellow of some sort on the false strake.. I don't see anything he currently has that I like, but George will mix special colours. I think something more on the orange side, but not in your face orange.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Kirbys Putty if you lean towards a tannish color.
    Green Gray is my favorite Kirbys color.
    I have used both colors with tanbark.

Kirbys Putty if you lean towards a tannish color.
    Green Gray is my favorite Kirbys color.
    I have used both colors with tanbark.

Oh! I do like that. She's lovely

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post

Suggestions?
    I suggest you play with a Color Wheel to find something pleasing. I keep a version handy that is the best I've found - 'Pocket Color Wheel' from The Color Wheel Company - available at local art supply stores or the better variety stores --

https://colorwheelco.com/product-category/color-wheels/

https://xd.adobe.com/ideas/process/u...-color-theory/

There are a variety of approaches. A 'complimentary' color, for instance, is one directly across on the color wheel. For the deep dark red hue of tanbark - that'd be some sort of green. Which is complimentary twice-over. It's a 'cool' color opposite the 'warm' red. Since tanbark is red shaded by adding Black, one approach would be green tinted by adding White. Something like a SeafoamGreen for instance.

There are other, more 'sophisticated' approaches to finding harmonious color matches. 'Split complementary', 'triad', and 'tetrad'. Check 'em out and pick something that 'floats your boat' <G> Color is very personal... go with what you love. G'luck!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

My favorite hull color with Tanbark sails is usually a very dark green, and a little varnished mahogany trim thrown into the mix is nice when possible. For Tanbark sailcloth you even have options. Most of what you'll see is the Tanbark from Challenge Sailcloth or Richard Hayward Sailcloth (on sails made before Hayward's parent company basically quit making cloth) and it will be medium reddish brown. The other option is the Tanbark from Contender sailcloth, which is a dark, deep burgundy brown. It's kind of hard to photograph, but it's also a really nice color when you see it.

barks.jpg

For higher visibility, it is also possible to go with stripes.

mix.jpg

This one has the two barks next to each other and also a backlit shot so that the glow shows.

full-mix.jpg

Epifanes "Turkish Blue" on an Oughtred designed PennyFee...
    EDD082D8-D92D-4F4F-B1AE-EBD36C5878C4.jpg

Pale green, Oyster white.
    Ral pale green.jpgral oyster white.jpgIMG-7463.jpg

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by pvg View Post
    Epifanes "Turkish Blue" on an Oughtred designed PennyFee...
    EDD082D8-D92D-4F4F-B1AE-EBD36C5878C4.jpg
    That is a very pretty boat-thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Pale green, Oyster white.
    Ral pale green.jpgral oyster white.jpgIMG-7463.jpg

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Pretty nice
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

The complimentary colour to RAL 8012 (red brown)...

is actually pale grey.

according to the RAL website:-

ral-8012-red-brown

The split complimentary colours to 8012 is actually the colour of that lovely Penny Fee and the green on the internal floor boards above (with the grey)!

Forumites are clearly intuitive geniuses.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 05-16-2022 at 03:48 PM.

I have a small lugsail made from Contender, to my eye it is more "eggplant purple" than anything close to "tan". (Aubergine for you non-US types)
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I had a motorcycle that was officially black cherry, and it was beautiful in the sun. Out of the sun it was eggplant.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

I don't believe that the "tan" in tanbark has anything to do with the name of a color. It refers to the tannic acid that is found in tree bark, which was used as a preservative on natural fiber sails in the old days. On modern Dacron the tanbark color is just done with dye and has no preservative intention or value. However, I must say that after decades of working on sails, old tanbark sails tend to still look a hell of a lot better than old, dirty white ones. They age gracefully.

Default Hull colours to go with tanbark

Orange hull. Here is Kirbys.

Would look good with tanbark and be hi-vis.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    I don't believe that the "tan" in tanbark has anything to do with the name of a color. It refers to the tannic acid that is found in tree bark, which was used as a preservative on natural fiber sails in the old days. On modern Dacron the tanbark color is just done with dye and has no preservative intention or value. However, I must say that after decades of working on sails, old tanbark sails tend to still look a hell of a lot better than old, dirty white ones. They age gracefully.
    Just so.

And it's too easy for us modern folks to skip the care natural fiber sails need in order to last. The treatment helps, and ages beautifully, to my eye.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

There’s less glare on the water when you look up with a tan sail, but i find judging sail shape and seeing indicators like tell tails etc is harder. Yeah it was the colour of oak tannins and fish oil applied to cotton sails as a preservative/ waterproofer. The rescue agency say dark reds are the easiest to spot from a helicopter in the sea. The most contrast against white/grey sea and sky.

Essex Smack Priscilla

The grey, yellow, black, white and red bottom paint could look equally good on a punt and hide the chine.

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 05-17-2022 at 07:02 AM.

seems to work for me.

IMG_4543.jpg