Thread: Take a look at this "Vertue"

Thumbs up

Take a look at this Vertue "Vega".
    Nice looking coch-house with room to store a hard dinghy on top. But I have seen pics of other Vertues with completely differnt looking almost "Boxy" and angled coach-houses with the boom so low you would have no chance of fitting a dinghy on top of the coach-house. Seems to be a lot of variants to the Vertue.

And take a look at this one. Quite pretty - but note the difference in coach-house configuration to Vertue "Vega" in the above post.

I suspect the first picture is of the modified version Giles did up for sailing in northern waters - longer cabin, shorter cockpit, "slutter" rig, and an extra strake in the topsides. Seems to me that a Dr. named Cunningham had the first one and sailed her a fair amount along the shores of Labrador. The second photo is of the standard "doghouse" version that replaced the original small low cabin (as on the original "Andrillot", similar to "Wanderer 2"). The third version, now the standard, had a slightly longer doghouse with two windows per side and a slightly shorter cockpit.

The first pic of "Vega" or "Northern Waters Version" as you say, would be my choice. Space to fit a dinghy, small cockpit for offshore sailing etc, etc.
    The extra strake doesn't seem to detract from her looks. In fact they are both beautiful boats but I think "Vega" is that teeny bit prettier.
    If Ian Wright reads this I am sure he knows something of Vega, after all I did whip the Pic from the Vertue website that he posted on here yesterday.
    Thanks

It's my understanding that on that configuration dinghys are usually lashed down ahead of the mast, with the stern at the mast step and the bow on the foredeck. Quite a large dinghy can be shipped that way and there's no boom to get in the way of manoevering it on and off.

[ 02-26-2004, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Aramas ]

Yup,,,,,
    Vega has a modified version of the "Extended Ocean Cruising " cabin top. It was drawn with four port lights per side for maximum strength. the replacement long light was not standard.
    Ice bird was one other and that had four port lights as does "Fionn" the Aus built gaffer.
    Mine, also a "EOC" cabin top has three lights per side, and the boom mounted as low as I can get it,,,,,, the dinghy gets towed.

IanW

Default Re: Take a look at this "Vertue"

L1000955.jpgHello, This is our extended ocean cruising version of the Vertue class yacht with the dinghy mounted forward of the mast. Photograph taken on the Huon Yacht Clud slipway on the Huon river Tasmania

Very nice Bruce. When you say "extended ocean cruising version” - what length is she? She needs a thread of her own (if there’s not one already that I’ve missed or forgotten about)
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

L1010161.jpgHELLO Ian, The Ocean version of the Vertue was drawn with an additional strake in the topsides which gave a little more freeboard. As the stem and stern are angled the extra strake adds a small amount of additional length. If I recall it's less than 1 inch. The government survey we had done before we launched so as to enable her to be registered as a New Zealand ship was 7.7 meters. Pictured on the Huon Yacht Club slipway at Port Huon Tasmania

Bruce

Sturdy, capable looking boat.

Yes! I too would like to see and hear more about her, in her own thread.

Mike

Is that a normal way to bring the boat up a slipway? Seems precarious.

Nice to se Ian's name pop up. He's been gone a while now.

Just came back to this thread, the slipway cradle between the port and starboard vertical arms is abour 12 feet and the beam of a Vertue is 7ft 2inches. We used ropes from the mast and from the sheet winches in the cockpit out to the arms. The width of the lead balast were it sits on the cross timbers of the slip cradle is 12 inches. It proved very stable, I do have a photograph somewhere that I will post if I can find it.

Bruce