Thread: Wayfarer measurements

Default Wayfarer measurements

I am restoring an older sailboat with dimensions very close to a wayfarer however, I need to build new floors and seats. The freeboard is 22 inches. If the floor timbers are six inches from the bilge then I have 16 inches to work with. I was thinking of placing the seats 8 inches above the floors which would leave 8 inches to the oarlocks. What I was wanting to know is the height of the wayfarer seats from the floors and also the freeboard measurement of a Wayfarer.

Default Re: Wayfarer measurements

From memory of my Wayfarer, the seats seem to be about 2/3rds to 3/4s of the distance between the floorboards and the side deck. Freeboard reduces considerably as you move aft so the seat is perhaps about 15" or so off the floorboards at the front and about 10" at the rear. Unfortunately my boat is about 2,000 miles away in the UK so I can't nip out and measure it.

The only photo I can find of the Wayfarer seats is from a camping trip from a few years ago. You can use a sleeping 9 year old to give a sense of scale!

Wayfarer.jpg

If you want to take a more scientific approach then the Wayfarer class rules may give some guidance, although many of the dimensions you are after seem to refer to the boat's plans, which of course are unavailable...

https://cdn.ussailing.org/wp-content...ClassRules.pdf
    ____

Edit - just realised that I'm above decks. Apologies if I've alarmed anyone of delicate sensibilities for posting a picture of a frozen snot-yot. Breathe deeply and perhaps focus on the seats...
    Last edited by AndanteEd; 05-09-2022 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks for the info. I do need a more scientific approach, hopefully somebody can put a tape to the wayfarer and get the seat to floor distance and the seat to deck. The picture does give me a good idea on seat placement, also the pipe for the seat support is something that I never considered.

Does this help?
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 05-09-2022 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Speeling
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by altfj View Post
    Thanks for the info. I do need a more scientific approach, hopefully somebody can put a tape to the wayfarer and get the seat to floor distance and the seat to deck. The picture does give me a good idea on seat placement, also the pipe for the seat support is something that I never considered.
    The pipe is attached to the thwart with some type of rubber flexible fitting (like you get with an Optimist tiller extension). The bottom end of the pipe locates in a hole on the floorboard. The flexi fitting means you can push the leg out of the way in any direction you want which is useful if you are bunging some bags or whatever under the seats.

There are a couple of Wayfarers in the dinghy lot at my club. I should be down there later tomorrow so will try and get some measurements for you.

OK, some measurements for you. It's a fairly crowded dinghy park so I may be out a few mm, but I think they are by and large correct.

The seats on the fibreglass Wayfarers are a little higher on the inside than they are on the outside (see the photo I posted yesterday). I've therefore given the inner and outer heights from the sole to the top of the seats together with the corresponding height from the sole to the side deck.

There are three places that I measured which were at the front of the cockpit (section 1), just aft of the thwart (section 2) and about 6" from the aft end of the seats (section 3).

The seats are 1/2" thick. They extend inboard to about 10" from the face of the inner deck moulding along their entire length.

The four colours on the table should correspond to the four measurements shown on the photo below. I hope I've not overcomplicated this and it makes a degree of sense...

Wayfarer seat heights.jpg

Wayfarer seat heights 2.JPG
    Last edited by AndanteEd; 05-10-2022 at 04:50 PM.