Thread: Oarlock socket for 1928 Rangeley. Top mount, 3/4" Bore

Default Oarlock socket for 1928 Rangeley. Top mount, 3/4" Bore

Posting for a friend who is having the family 1928 Rangeley guide boat restored: It's missing one (of four) of its oarlock sockets. They're a little fancier looking than standard top-mount modern sockets, but the main difference is that the bore for the oarlock shaft is 3/4" instead of modern standard 1/2".
    oarlock and socket.jpg
    Anyone got any leads?

-Leif
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Oarlock socket for 1928 Rangeley. Top mount, 3/4" Bore

If you are not able to find them you could make replacements. I made a set from stock bronze bushings pressed into brass plate.

Oilite bushings are nice as they are self lubing. This one looks like the right size: https://www.mcmaster.com/6391K872/

-Rick

The original oarlock shank might be tapered...
    Which poses an additional complication, but not really a problem

Thanks gents.
    Rick, you just pressed your oilite in, eh? I presume that, being impregnated with oil, those bushing can't be soldered or brazed in, right?

-Leif

Quote Originally Posted by Torna View Post
    Thanks gents.
    Rick, you just pressed your oilite in, eh? I presume that, being impregnated with oil, those bushing can't be soldered or brazed in, right?

-Leif
    I'm sure that's right for the oil impregnated ones. You could use plain bronze bearings. On mine there is a long Oilite pressed into a shorter plain bearing, creating a step for the plate to sit. The hole in my riser also has a step to prevent the bushings pressing down. You do need to make sure Oilite is not contacting unsealed wood, that will wick out the oil. There are also bronze bushings made with embedded graphite or teflon, or all plastic nylon or teflon bushings. Many ways to tackle this.

If your friend is only missing one, for aesthetics I'd make a pair of bushing based sockets, keep the old one as a spare. That said it might be possible to grind and file the plate for a bushing based socket to match the old one.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."