Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need effective / efficient method to sort / store fastener hardware - what works?

Default Re: I need effective / efficient method to sort / store fastener hardware - what work

Another trick I used when doing my initial sort was to use a magnet to transfer the fasteners from the old bulk container into the sorting tray. This not only saved my fingers from sharp points, but also automatically separated out the non-ferrous stuff for use on boaty things.

Default Re: I need effective / efficient method to sort / store fastener hardware - what work

When I need to pour stuff like (fasteners) into a container I use a big PVC reducer

DF4E8642-7D14-4F59-BA28-7C42432BF67C.jpeg

I like these bins from Harbor Freight:
    HarborFreightBins.jpg

They charge $11.99 for 20 bins (5 in. x 4 in. x 3 in.), and cleats for hanging them from a wall are included. I have 80 of them in my shop with plans to get more.
    Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    Just ask Thom.

He knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomRose View Post
    I like these bins from Harbor Freight:

They charge $11.99 for 20 bins (5 in. x 4 in. x 3 in.), and cleats for hanging them from a wall are included. I have 80 of them in my shop with plans to get more.
    Nice! I'm gonna check those out. Thank you.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    When I need to pour stuff like (fasteners) into a container I use a big PVC reducer

DF4E8642-7D14-4F59-BA28-7C42432BF67C.jpeg
    This is a great idea - one that I had not considered - - Thanks
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

The (unfortunately past away) father of my best friend had a nice old style workshop with a beautiful old wood carpenter's bench, display boards with all his small tools directly available and a single shelving board running around 50cm (1,6ft) under the ceiling along all the main wall. So above the carpenter's bench, above a door in the middle of the wall, and above a second workbenches cabinet on the next side. That long long shelve was made with strong an thick plank and serve for all the big tools usually in their box (drilling, jigsaw,...)

And now the old style trick for storing all the nails, screws, nuts,... A huge collection of empty jam jars!
    They are fixed UNDER the shelving board with 2 screws in the cover.
    When you search for something, look into the clear far (just a little bit higher than your head so in clear view), find the right one, and with your hand unscrew the jar from the cover that is fixed under the shelving.
    Easy, fast, low tech.
    Only drawbacks are:
    - you need plenty of jars!
    - you need a long long shelving with thick plank where to fix all these jars covers.

^^ Great idea - thanks for the suggestion ( my late uncle used similar storage in his 'under the staircase ' tiny workshop, with baby food jars attached to the underside of the stair treads )

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "