Thread: Fuselage adaptation

Default Fuselage adaptation

I have an old set of paper patterns for an Adirondack guideboat in cedar strip/glass sheathed construction. I would like to finally get around to using these plans. But, I have lately been pondering using these station mold patterns as the basis to develop a fuselage type frame for a nylon skin on frame version. Do you think this could work, given the shape of a guideboat. I am thinking along the lines of a Dave Gentry or Kudzu Craft type of skin on frame construction. Any thoughts would
    Be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Fuselage adaptation

I donít see any reason why your idea canít be executed. A number of designs have been converted to skin-on-frame. I always thought the McInnis Bateau was a great design to adapt to SOF and the Adirondack Guideboat would also be a great choice.

Iím almost certain Iíve seen an example online. Speaking of which: https://www.capefalconkayaks.com/adi...uide-boat.html

Some Adirondack designs have concave areas which a skin on frame construction would not achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley Baggins View Post
    I don’t see any reason why your idea can’t be executed. A number of designs have been converted to skin-on-frame. I always thought the McInnis Bateau was a great design to adapt to SOF and the Adirondack Guideboat would also be a great choice.

I’m almost certain I’ve seen an example online. Speaking of which: https://www.capefalconkayaks.com/adi...uide-boat.html
    That's a lovely SOF guideboat, but it's not fuselage frame style as the OP is thinking. Lots of ribs with that one.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Default Fuselage adaptation

Yes, Cape Falcon guideboats are spectacular, but like you mentioned, I want to take a little bit simpler approach on the frames. I imagine that the shape would need a bit of adjustment to coax the skin to better follow those tight reverse curves. I may reduce the curve of the stems just a bit as well. It can get crazy windy here.

Why not ask Dave Gentry about your idea?

Getting advice and thoughts from David would definitely be a wise option.

Dave has always been generous with his replies to me.

Don't think too much, just do it.

Although reverse curvature is really not doable.

Yeah, those reverse curves near the bottom board would have to be faired out I think.