On a roll...

Wordle 522 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜��
    ⬜��������
    ����������
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Wordle is blowing my mind.

Heh heh. Two again.

Wordle 522 2/6

⬛⬛����⬛
    ����������

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Heh heh. Two again.

Wordle 522 2/6

⬛⬛����⬛
    ����������
    Now that is impressive. In almost 300 games played, I've only solved it in 2 a dozen times.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Wife got it in 2 again (Wed), second day in a row. One son says to call her "cinnamon" because she's on a roll.

Wordle 527 2/6

Well now!
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Wordle 527 2/6

Well now!

Impressive!

Took me 3 --

Wordle 527 3/6

⬜⬜⬜����
    ����⬜��⬜
    ����������
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

My week with Wordle. Iíve been on a roll.
    527 2/6
    528 4/6
    529 3/6
    530 3/6
    531 3/6
    532 3/6
    533 3/6
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

We never use the BOT. Do use hints occasionally. Unfortunately, my FIL's oft-repeated observation doesn't apply; "it's a small mind that cannot figure out more than one way to spell a word". Actually, it's my wife's game. I'm just a sidekick.
    Last edited by Nicholas Scheuer; 12-04-2022 at 08:26 AM.

The fewer lines it takes, more luck than skill. The more lines, less luck more skill.
    That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Wordle 533 2/6

⬜������⬜
    ����������

I actually got it on the first try today, 100% luck. That just happens to be my standard first word; three of the vowels and two common consonants.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I still haven’t managed that! I thought I did good with two.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I actually got it on the first try today, 100% luck. That just happens to be my standard first word; three of the vowels and two common consonants.
    One of the old h.s. buddies I regularly share results with claims that any time one solves it in 1 or 2... it's luck. I mostly agree. My usual starter worked well today, only leaving me with 37 possibles. But choosing the RIGHT one of those 37? Mighty lucky!!

Wordle 533 2/6

⬜⬜��⬜��
    ����������
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer
    We never use the BOT. Do use hints occasionally.
    The NYT Wordle Bot does not offer hints. It merely analyses one's play AFTER one solves the puzzle. I've yet to use a hint although they are rife daily on the internet.

The NYT Wordle Bot does not offer hints. It merely analyses one's play AFTER one solves the puzzle. I've yet to use a hint although they are rife daily on the internet.
    ^^^^
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    I have adopted new rules in which taking six guesses is to be admired, the "Whew" that Wordle posts well-earned.

The first word must be off the top of one's head, and always novel. My first word today was 'CROWD.'

Any guessed letters must be used in subsequent guesses; including the position, if that is guessed.

The puzzle must be attempted as fast as possible, Speed Wordle, and slowed down only by being stumped on a guess.

There must be FEAR that one isn't going to get it in six.
    If you like adding complexity... you might like 'Hardle'
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I've only guessed it in one... once. When I was trying out opening words.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

There are bots and hints? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I don't know about hints... but the bot is quite useful. Why? For the same reason the military does 'after action' analysis --

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ordle-bot.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll
    I enjoy outperforming the bot. The bot also shows statistics regarding which words are being selected first, second, third, etc. by all those who have submitted their play.

I do not grok hints.

Looked at the NYT bot site. Didn't interest me. Looked into cryptography years ago and recall the frequency of English letters, which helps. I use the same starter word each time.

Lately I've been getting it in two or three rows: Wordle Interruptus. I actually enjoy having it last a bit longer, 'til I finish my mug of coffee.

I can usually nail the NY Times Mini crossword under two minutes, but still get skunked now and then, usually on sports or TV stuff.

I just ran Ccleaner on my computer to get rid of trackers etc. An unintended consequence was that my Wordle stats were erased. Bugger!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

I did that once too. Create an account, then Wordle remembers your stats for you. Doug

Thanks Doug, I'll do that.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

If you started playing Wordle before the NY Times bought it, and continue playing on the original browser tab, you can cheat by doing it on the original tab, then repeating it on the NY Times account with the right solution. I like figuring sneaky stuff out, but am not tempted.

A quite difficult quordle today. The perfect example of "I've lost but that only makes me want to play more" that quordle gives me

quordle-daily-315.jpg
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

Had to brag. Solved it in 1 today.

Sheer dumb luck, of course. I simply started with my normal starter.

But I'll take it. I solved it in 1 once before, and figured that would be it for that level of luck. But, out of 305 attempts, that's 2 now. And 13 solved with guess #2.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Because I subscribe to the online version of the New York Times I have free access to their Wordle Bot. I check out its analysis of my play every morning after completing the puzzle. 90% of the time I begin with the word TRAIN. Then my second word depends on the number of letters I guessed correctly with that first play. if I get only one or no letters I will play the word CLOSE. That second word very often narrows the possible answers to three or less. And when that happens Wordle Bot invariably comments that my choice of CLOSE was a lucky guess!

Um... no. It is good strategy. With two words I covered the 10 most commonly appearing letters in the English language (the 6 most common consonants and the 4 most common vowels). The Wordle Bot ain't all that smart. And since its recent re-design I notice it has become extremely lucky itself.

Because I subscribe to the online version of the New York Times I have free access to their Wordle Bot. I check out its analysis of my play every morning after completing the puzzle. 90% of the time I begin with the word TRAIN. Then my second word depends on the number of letters I guessed correctly with that first play. if I get only one or no letters I will play the word CLOSE. That second word very often narrows the possible answers to three or less. And when that happens Wordle Bot invariably comments that my choice of CLOSE was a lucky guess!

Um... no. It is good strategy. With two words I covered the 10 most commonly appearing letters in the English language (the 6 most common consonants and the 4 most common vowels). The Wordle Bot ain't all that smart. And since its recent re-design I notice it has become extremely lucky itself.
    I do the same with SLATE and CORNY. Today the NYT avg. was 3.7 --

Wordle 550 3/6

⬜����⬜⬜
    ����⬜⬜��
    ����������
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I always try and start with a different word. I've got it in two about five times, generally off the back of a fortuitous first word choice - so dumb luck more than anything. My bell curve is centered on four attempts, today went all the way to phew!

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.