Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Victorville, Ca then Kavala, Greece

Default Re: Victorville, Ca then Kavala, Greece

That‘s the place I referred to Tom! It‘s a great experience. Happy to hear that they are still open. Kavala used to have quite a fleet of wooden fishing and coastal trading vessels. There were 5 or six yards when I was a teenager, I think those guys are the last ones with a full service facility. If I remember well, the owner is from Crete, another trading destination from Kavala.
    I will be back to the North East May 28 - June 2 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Yannis Xanthakis View Post
    Thats the place I referred to Tom! Its a great experience. Happy to hear that they are still open. Kavala used to have quite a fleet of wooden fishing and coastal trading vessels. There were 5 or six yards when I was a teenager, I think those guys are the last ones with a full service facility. If I remember well, the owner is from Crete, another trading destination from Kavala.
    I will be back to the North East May 28 - June 2 or 3.
    It was great! The guys were very friendly and the food was fantastic. Many of the crew are planning to go there next weds evening.
    Tom

Absolutely wonderful thread. Beautiful pics. I keep checking back every couple of days.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Some fishing boats leaving port.
    C4292E14-CE52-4DB5-ADEA-C43D928E8F89.jpg
    Tom

A cool abandoned house near the hotel.
    11EFB452-DC93-4E5C-88E8-87A2E8247AE5.jpg
    An old olive oil can sitting at an abandoned junkyard.
    8C15AAA2-DD59-4846-AEB2-ED1DB6187331.jpg
    Tom

It’s my last work day in Kavala, Greece. On my last day off I hiked to the cross that overlooks the city.
    9A0C0F3C-F53B-4178-8555-0683F565DBF2.jpg
    I did get a 10 day vacation early in June and my girlfriend flew over and we went to Naxos and Santorini so it hasn’t been all work. I’ve been here since late April and the people have been great but I’m about ready to be back home with family for a bit.
    The job is nearly complete but a tooling delay from Airbus has pushed back the NLG installation a week and I just can’t stay longer. The structural work is all don’t and that is what I was here for anyway.

Glad I took the job and I learned a lot about how I would manage the next one.
    Tom

Tom, I just saw in PPRUNE and other sources that an A380 landed in Brisbane with a large hole in the wing root - another possible job for your team ? It was an Emirates flight from Dubai, AFAIK.

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Tom, I just saw in PPRUNE and other sources that an A380 landed in Brisbane with a large hole in the wing root - another possible job for your team ? It was an Emirates flight from Dubai, AFAIK.

Rick

I saw that. Looked like a fillet panel to me. Likely not a very big job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

It IS a wonderful thread.

I read an article yesterday that mentioned Greece as a place where they are not overfond of American tourists. The reason? A propensity for public drunkenness. That's a shame, really. I remember touring the Rhein in Germany and it seemed like everywhere we stopped there were busloads of Brits all drunk as lords being loud and obnoxious. Tourists do seem to cut loose a little more than they should, wherever they go, but to get a reputation of just being a bunch of rude, noisy drunks? That's not very nice, is it?

Enjoy your work assignment, Tom. Thank you for sharing the photos.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Rather unfortunate that a few handfulls of rowdy and unruly nationals of whatever nationality are responsible for giving their fellow countrymen a bad name in a foreign destination, but this phenomenon is widespread (Similarly, dudes from the Persian Gulf visiting Pakistan and India).

During my studenthood in London (mid-late 60s), most of my friends were Greeks, including some from Cyprus. To arrive in Greece till this day, be it with or without my family, their hospitality has no bounds, no match anywhere and a serious effort has to be made to appease all, for fear of someone feeling sidelined.

So what Tom has experienced in Greece comes as no surprise, at least to me !