Thread: Haven 12 1/2 boom sheeting

Default Haven 12 1/2 boom sheeting

I'm curious why Joel White changed the sheeting of the Herreshoff 12 1/2 boom from the aft deck to the center board. Any thoughts on the advantages or disadvantages of either design?

Default Re: Haven 12 1/2 boom sheeting

For one thing, it reduces the length of the mainsheet and how much line you need to ease out or sheet in when tacking and jibing. It does however tend to increase boom bend, which can be undesirable at times, depending on the sail's foot type and construction.

I have a Somes Sound which is Brooks' derivation of the H12. Very similar to the Haven. Both of these boats have a centerboard trunk where a mainsheet block and cleat can be fitted. This location allows the person on the helm to, more or less, face forward with the sheet in their lap. The H12 has no CB so confining the mainsheet to the aft deck makes more sense.

I had a sailboat on which the mainsheet sheeted aft like on an H 12 1/2. Others of the same class had the sheet lead from the middle of the boom. I preferred the aft sheeting. I could pull and release the sheet across my body while looking up at the sail, which I found easier. The mid-boom sheeting on the boats I tried helming would often be in the way of others sitting in the cockpit on one or both tacks. Jibing was something passengers or crew would have to be very careful about, too. Not so much when the end boom sheeting on the aft deck was out of everyone's way. Just a preference.
    "So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    For one thing, it reduces the length of the mainsheet and how much line you need to ease out or sheet in when tacking and jibing.
    This is often defeated by the fact that you need more parts in your sheet.

Marianita's main is sheeted aft, it took a bit of getting used too after sailing smaller dinghies with their mains coming from the middle of the boom. On the smaller boats mid-boom felt very "natural": aft hand on the tiller, forward sheet in hand playing the main. On the bigger, more stable boat there is less concern about having to react immediately to changes in wind conditions (puffs/gusts/lulls) so switching hands or reaching across isn't as big a deal. It is nice not having the sheet in the middle of the cockpit too.

Swapping one for the other just takes a little adjustment period, kind of like going from a norwegian to "standard" style tiller.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan