Thread: Torqeedo OB maintenance

Default Torqeedo OB maintenance

I've got a Torqeedo 1003 outboard. The manual says that the shaft sealing ring on the motor unit should be replaced. Of course they say that only an authorized Torqeedo repair facility can do this. Well, it seems like it would be a simple thing for anyone handy to do. But I can find no parts diagram nor the required parts listed on the Torqeedo site. Not surprising, I suppose. So my questions here are simple: Has anyone done this themself? And where did you get the parts?

The closest place I can send the motor is in Vancouver Canada and the second closest is in Lakewood, California. Neither place is exactly close. Then there's the expense of shipping and packing.

I'd appreciate any help.

Jeff

Default Re: Torqeedo OB maintenance

So much for the claim of zero maintenance. How did you know the need and how many hours use?

Don't own a Torqueedo.

Have changed plenty of outboard shaft seals.

In a pro shop, one uses a seal puller.

For DIY, here are two methods of removal.

1. Use drywall screws. With the gearcase horizontal, prop shaft up, drive two drywall screws down into the rubber of the seal, 180 degrees apart. Get just enough threads to engage; don't need to drive the screw down to its head. Be careful not to scratch the prop shaft!!!. Once the screws are driven, use a couple of pry bars on each screw simultaneously to lift the seal out.

2. Insert a small flathead screwdriver between the carrier and the metal outer ring of the seal.( Between carrier and seal NOT SHAFT AND SEAL. DO NOT SCRATCH SHAFT) Bend twist to crimp the seal at that spot. Do that at 3, 6, 9 and 12 O'Clock and the seal should be loose. Now fab, or find, some kind of hook to pull out the seal. Prise it out one edge at a time, going around 3, 6, 9, 12...

To replace the seal, find a piece of pipe or PVC tube of a diameter that will fit over the propshaft and make contact with the seal's circumference. Press down firmly after applying whatever seal goop Torqeedo recommends.

Good Luck

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    So much for the claim of zero maintenance. How did you know the need and how many hours use?
    The owner's manual says to do this after five years. They mention nothing about hours of use so maybe it's a time decay of the seal rather than usage. This info was brought to my attention (or lack of attention since I don't read owner's manuals all that close) through a recent article about electric propulsion in the WoodenBoat mag.

I've not noticed anything amiss with my OB's seals.

Breakaway: Torqeedo doesn't seem to want to sell the seal nor do they say what goop to pack in there.

Jeff

^ They sell them for other models. Give them a call, maybe the can give you an aftermarket seal model.

https://www.torqeedo.com/us/en-us/pr...009-00118.html

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 4.27.46 PM.jpg

For goop you can use generic gasket sealing compound.Just paint it on around the seal's circumerence.

Kevin

Edit: Also, a dealer may be able to special order parts for you.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Good idea. I'll call them. Better to be sure rather than just assume the part isn't available just because they don't have it on the website.

Jeff

A followup and possible closure to the parts quest: I phoned the service department at Torqeedo. Got hold of a fellow who told me they didn't advise folks to do their own work, but he also told me what to order and walked me through finding the parts on their website. It seems that the seal is actually sold as part of an assembly. This isn't clear on the site, but OK. He then told me to wait a couple of days to order because the price of said assembly was going down about $10. So, I waited and the price did drop. Bonus! Got the parts that he said I'd need, ordered. Then later in the day he called and told me that I'd made a mistake and ordered something I don't need and another part that's for a different model motor. (I'm sure that I'd misunderstood his original instructions. My hearing is next to useless, especially over the telephone.) Anyway, he modified my order and is sending only the parts that I need. Double bonus!!

So this interaction with Torqeedo has been nothing but positive. No complaints here.

I just hope I don't botch the seal installation!

Jeff

^ Jeff, be sure to note down his name . . Knowledgeable people are a definite asset in maintaining anything electrical, or mechanical !

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Yes, shop staff who are proctively helpful are rare nowadays - note his/her name and keep for future reference. Manufacturers seem to be trying to enhance their profits through excessive maintenance prices to the public. I kept my Subaru Outback going for another 8 years by servicing by myself & it cost me AU$65 a time - and sold her when she had done 480k kilometres.

Regards Neil

p.s. a bit 'ranty' this morning :-)

I found Torqeedo USA's technical support to be excellent, even when working on an obsolete motor. (Travel 801) I understand there are shop manuals for their service partners that may be able to help with things like o-ring sizes, even when the parts are no longer directly available from Torqeedo. They were also able to advise replacement planetary grease specifications, and were generally very helpful overall. One trick I will share here is a method to pressure test the pylon I devised after finding and repairing a leak in mine. On the 801, a single M6 threaded hole attaches the pod to the tension cable, and this is the only opening to the submerged section accessible after re-assembly. I threaded a bicycle tire valve to suit. Applying 5-6 PSI air pressue to the pod, I was able to successfuly locate and seal the leak. The pod now holds this pressure indefinitely. If you have replaced your seals, run the motor without a propeller in a tank and watch for bubbles for a period of at least 30 minutes. The pod will heat up as the motor runs and the air inside will expand, creating pressure on the seals. Any bubbles should be cause for concern. (disclaimer - I came up with this on my own, and am in no way / shape / or form a professional. YMMV)

I've received the parts I need from Torqeedo. So I took the aft motor cover off and found this:

Torqeedo prop shaft.jpg

The photo was taken after I began to clean it up. There is a small amount of corrosion where salt water has intruded. I found no evidence of water having gotten into the interior of the motor hub. Good thing because there's a lot of electronics. It's an electric motor, after all.

I have a new hub assembly that covers this end that includes the prop shaft seal. I don't believe that these seals are meant to be removed and replaced as in other outboards. Simply for my own interest, I tried to press out the seal from the old hub. The plastic hub broke and the seal didn't budge. So I think that one has no choice but to purchase the entire hub assembly rather than a simple seal that might cost just a few dollars. Oh well...

Before I reassemble things I'd like to do all that I can to assure there will be no leaks. I have new O-rings that fit. It has been suggested by a pal that I could use either some Vaseline or water proof grease on the O-ring that might fill in any micro-gaps. So my question to you all is: Will Vaseline or grease do some good... or could it create some problem?

Thanks for your help and interest.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I've received the parts I need from Torqeedo. So I took the aft motor cover off and found this:

Torqeedo prop shaft.jpg

The photo was taken after I began to clean it up. There is a small amount of corrosion where salt water has intruded. I found no evidence of water having gotten into the interior of the motor hub. Good thing because there's a lot of electronics. It's an electric motor, after all.

I have a new hub assembly that covers this end that includes the prop shaft seal. I don't believe that these seals are meant to be removed and replaced as in other outboards. Simply for my own interest, I tried to press out the seal from the old hub. The plastic hub broke and the seal didn't budge. So I think that one has no choice but to purchase the entire hub assembly rather than a simple seal that might cost just a few dollars. Oh well...

Before I reassemble things I'd like to do all that I can to assure there will be no leaks. I have new O-rings that fit. It has been suggested by a pal that I could use either some Vaseline or water proof grease on the O-ring that might fill in any micro-gaps. So my question to you all is: Will Vaseline or grease do some good... or could it create some problem?

Thanks for your help and interest.

Jeff
    Rather than ask here, I think I'd be inclined to go to your contact at the factory.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Jeff from my rather vague memory I recall something about not using Vaseline on rubber motor bits. Could be wrong though, best check. Perhaps in a real motor manual??

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    So I think that one has no choice but to purchase the entire hub assembly rather than a simple seal that might cost just a few dollars. Oh well...

Jeff

There's a line in the Torqueedo manual that states, and I'm paraphrasing here... , "if you intend using this motor in salt water you will need to install an anode to protect the aluminum". The anode, in this case, is a long nut of about 5/8" diameter, made of zinc, which screws onto the propeller hub. They charge thirty bucks for this and want to charge an additional twenty for shipping.

For comparison, I just bought a new chainsaw carb off Ebay, which comes with a spark plug, gas filter, fuel lines, fuel bulb, and a screwdriver...for eighteen bucks and free shipping.

Go figure.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    There's a line in the Torqueedo manual that states, and I'm paraphrasing here... , "if you intend using this motor in salt water you will need to install an anode to protect the aluminum". The anode, in this case, is a long nut of about 5/8" diameter, made of zinc, which screws onto the propeller hub. They charge thirty bucks for this and want to charge an additional twenty for shipping.

For comparison, I just bought a new chainsaw carb off Ebay, which comes with a spark plug, gas filter, fuel lines, fuel bulb, and a screwdriver...for eighteen bucks and free shipping.

Go figure.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. The fine reading of manuals has never been one of my strong points. I will check this out.

Jeff

FYI:

IMG_4310.jpg

So, no anode required. At least on this version of their motor. But they are wrong about their high quality aluminum not needing any protection. I've repainted several areas on the upper housing where the exposure to salt air has caused the paint to fail. Still... I believe this is mostly unrelated to my present concern. I do carry extra water onboard to use in rinsing the motor's lower unit after use. And, btw: my use of the motor is slight. It is on my boat mostly to get me back to my mooring in time for dinner on those (frequently) light air evenings.

Jeff

Definitely don't use petroleum-based lubricants on petroleum-based components. Your gasket will deteriorate. You should be able to use a silicone-based lubricant, however.

Thank you.

Jeff