Thread: Professional Small Boat Builders in Seattle

Default Professional Small Boat Builders in Seattle

I'm considering building an ~9 foot dinghy in glued lapstrake - I'm specifically thinking of Sea Hen designed by Iain Oughtred. Although I'd like to do this myself I'm aware that due to work and family my time is frequently not my own. With that in mind, I think it's sensible to consider what options are available for have a boat built instead of building myself.

I know that the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding will take commissions on their standard designs, and I know that Eric Hvalsoe - a WBF member - will sometimes build boats on commission. Does anyone have any other suggestions for boatbuilders who might be willing to take on such a project?

I did a cursory internet search, but most of what I came up with appeared to be commercial builders, commercial repair shops, and restorers of large wooden boats. I'm hoping that WBF members might have some other helpful suggestions.

Default Re: Professional Small Boat Builders in Seattle

No one will build a nicer small boat for you than Eric Hvalsoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I also have a high regard for Eric. You can likely get some more recommendations by asking at the NW School of Wooden Boatbuilding for a list of their grads who are nearby. Also, NW Maritime in Port Townsend likely keeps a list of boat builders.

Jeff

Paul Schweiss in La Conner is incredibly skilled, has his own shop and is eager to build small boats again after years managing production and then caring for individual San Juan yachts. He is a Forum member and a very special guy. Best of luck! He's built boats similar to this one as well as traditional Scandinavian types: https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/...-boat-kit.html
    "So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby

Thank you Dave, the part about getting my shop set up and wanting to re-start building small craft is certainly true.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schweiss View Post
    Thank you Dave, the part about getting my shop set up and wanting to re-start building small craft is certainly true.
    And a very Lovely shop it is, too!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. If I find any others, or if I go forward with any of those suggested, I'll update the thread.

You might also check in with Clint Chase, who cuts and ships CNC kits. He has multiple solid designs. Building a kit versus from scratch might be the compromise you're seeking.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Can anyone confirm Eric Hvalsoe's contact information? I emailed the address on the following page, but a week has gone by without response so I'm wondering if it's defunct.

https://sites.google.com/site/erichvalsoe/contact

Try sending him a PM from this forum.

Jeff

Just an update on Eric Hvalsoe: the contact information on that page is correct. My initial email apparently went to his junk mail folder, but he subsequently replied.

What Yeadon said. Eric's work is outstanding.