Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: A gentleman's pocket knife

Default Re: A gentleman's pocket knife

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Okay, maybe my original use of the word 'gentleman' was inapt and has been misconstrued. I simply meant a handy everyday walking around pocket knife, no matter what you wear or what your occupation, sitting at a desk, or whatever—as opposed to the sort of knife one might carry in some sort of professional capacity, like for ranching or something else requiring regular serious knife work. I have zero interest in wearing a sheath on my belt, but I have been in the habit of having a pocket knife, in the front pocket of my pants, no matter what kind of pants, since I was old enough to use a knife without hurting myself. Even in an office setting, I had an occasional use for a pocket knife, for opening packages or what-not. I really wouldn't call myself either a gentleman or a man of the world.
    See I truly do believe that a true gentleman should have "A gentleman's pocket knife" A gentleman will gladly cut the tags and those little hanging straps on his wife’s new dress. A gentleman will always be prepared with a pocket knife should a piece of fruit or cheese need to be paired at any function. Throw in a cork screw like Nicholas's rather nice Laguiole that his wife bought him, now thats class. Just like a proper gentleman should have a proper watch, a proper belt, proper leather dress shoes, know how to tie a bowtie, a four in hand and a Windsor knot as well as a boyland and carry a proper gentleman's pocket knife.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

That's a whole can of worms you're opening Joe, wooden boats versus GRP or Alu etc. Not really relavent here.

I maintain that

1. a gentleman does not need a knife, more a credit card.

2. A 'non-gentleman' does not need an expensive fandango cutting collectors item to show off to his friends.

There are good and bad tools, and cheap and expensive good and bad tools.

A shame you did not grok my reason to buy good while cheap tools 153 posts ago.

I have performed sewing of a wedding dress at the important moment with an Opinel BTW. I always carry one. Everywhere.

She did not care how much my knife cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Okay, maybe my original use of the word 'gentleman' was inapt and has been misconstrued. I simply meant a handy everyday walking around pocket knife, no matter what you wear or what your occupation, sitting at a desk, or whatever—as opposed to the sort of knife one might carry in some sort of professional capacity, like for ranching or something else requiring regular serious knife work. I have zero interest in wearing a sheath on my belt, but I have been in the habit of having a pocket knife, in the front pocket of my pants, no matter what kind of pants, since I was old enough to use a knife without hurting myself. Even in an office setting, I had an occasional use for a pocket knife, for opening packages or what-not. I really wouldn't call myself either a gentleman or a man of the world.
    Your original use was fine.

Regardless of the quibblers. There are times when being fastidious and punctilious about the meanings of words is appropriate. When the distinctions being insisted upon are both germane and important to a full understanding.

When such is not the case... it's mostly just people being pedantic. Remember your Plato: A Wise Man Speaks...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I’m just a man of the ridge. Got these for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    See I truly do believe that a true gentleman should have "A gentleman's pocket knife" A gentleman will gladly cut the tags and those little hanging straps on his wife’s new dress. A gentleman will always be prepared with a pocket knife should a piece of fruit or cheese need to be paired at any function. Throw in a cork screw like Nicholas's rather nice Laguiole that his wife bought him, now thats class. Just like a proper gentleman should have a proper watch, a proper belt, proper leather dress shoes, know how to tie a bowtie, a four in hand and a Windsor knot as well as a boyland and carry a proper gentleman's pocket knife.

I guess the clothes do not make the man.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    That's a whole can of worms you're opening Joe, wooden boats versus GRP or Alu etc. Not really relavent here.

I maintain that

1. a gentleman does not need a knife, more a credit card.

2. A 'non-gentleman' does not need an expensive fandango cutting collectors item to show off to his friends.

There are good and bad tools, and cheap and expensive good and bad tools.

A shame you did not grok my reason to buy good while cheap tools 153 posts ago.
    I tend to agree. Scores of posts ago I said:

......gentlemen's pocket knives are for slicks.
    I prefer pocket knives for rubes. I have several.... They all were purchased cheap, on sale, meet all of my needs, and I have no grief when I lose them.

I was down inside 4 ft well tiles, installing plastic pipe. I had to cut the tape on the pipe & said "Hey - could one of you guys toss down a knife?". The somewhat redneck kid up top said (as he tossed down a knife) "How come you tree-huggers never carry a knife?" I replied "That's what we keep rednecks around for." His uncle - the backhoe operator - cracked up & said "I told you not to mess with him!"
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I love how easy it is to get Lupu psychobabaling, just quote him and watch him spin
    Living Rent Free

I guess the clothes do not make the man.
    Manners Maketh man.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I was down inside 4 ft well tiles, installing plastic pipe. I had to cut the tape on the pipe & said "Hey - could one of you guys toss down a knife?". The somewhat redneck kid up top said (as he tossed down a knife) "How come you tree-huggers never carry a knife?" I replied "That's what we keep rednecks around for." His uncle - the backhoe operator - cracked up & said "I told you not to mess with him!"
    Indeed.

These days, I often am working alone. In the shop. Aboard a client's boat... maybe down in the bilge somewhere. If I need a knife... I'd best have one on me. Which is why I carry that stoutish Kershaw 1060 on a lanyard. It's nobodies idea of 'fancy', but it's effective. Heaviest knife I can handle carrying in my pocket. Been lots of times I was glad it wasn't any daintier.

But even if I'm dressed up, I've got a little CRKT 'Pazoda' in my pocket. Small, light, and stylish... and has come in handy dozens of times.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Every Man Should Carry a Pocket Knife

The gentleman’s knife is best suited for trimming off the edge of your cigars, spreading caviar on toast, and doing such seemingly random tasks. Whipping out your knife with style in such settings surely adds to the class and appeal that you bring to the table – both literally and figuratively.

https://cutsandcarves.com/what-is-a-gentlemans-knife/

Do you carry a gentlemans pocket knife when you push in line Joe? Or crash through security barriers? How eminently suave of you old boy!

You are a savage masquerading as a gentleman. You have proved this to be true many many times, no matter how many c+p statements you post.

Isn't Bobbys rent due any time now? Please stop with your cretinous intellectual pygmyisms.

Although I admire highly crafted knives, I do not wish to own one, as they are a small and easy item to lose, and I have lost too many. The best compromise for me is a well made yet inexpensive knife, and for me an Opinel fits the bill. Your mileage may vary and it probably does, to each their own. A fact that was lost on you when you suggested that owning 9 of them could have bought me one high cost knife. Perhaps you still will not understand due to you inability to do basic maths, and understand my premise.

But you dont GAF what I think anyway. So there's that.

Do you carry a gentlemans pocket knife when you push in line Joe? Or crash through security barriers? How eminently suave of you old boy!

You are a savage masquerading as a gentleman. You have proved this to be true many many times, no matter how many c+p statements you post.

Isn't Bobbys rent due any time now? Please stop with your cretinous intellectual pygmyisms.

Although I admire highly crafted knives, I do not wish to own one, as they are a small and easy item to lose, and I have lost too many. The best compromise for me is a well made yet inexpensive knife, and for me an Opinel fits the bill. Your mileage may vary and it probably does, to each their own. A fact that was lost on you when you suggested that owning 9 of them could have bought me one high cost knife. Perhaps you still will not understand due to you inability to do basic maths, and understand my premise.

But you dont GAF what I think anyway. So there's that.
    Living Rent Free in your mind, and I love it

I had to laugh at this one. What is a "camping man" anyway? Clearly it's for a slick with 200 bucks to blow.

TRIVISA Pocket Folding Knife for Camping Men,3.58" Bohler M390 Steel Wire Drawing Blade,TC4 Handle & Frame Lock, Japanese EDC Hunting Outdoor Utility Knives Gift, Cen-06BC. $199.99

I wear this one on my wrist so I'm always ready fer dinner.

20220730_113907.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    I had to laugh at this one. What is a "camping man" anyway? Clearly it's for a slick with 200 bucks to blow.

TRIVISA Pocket Folding Knife for Camping Men,3.58" Bohler M390 Steel Wire Drawing Blade,TC4 Handle & Frame Lock, Japanese EDC Hunting Outdoor Utility Knives Gift, Cen-06BC. $199.99

That's quite lovely.

Not my style, particularly, but nicely done.

And $200 for a 'dress' knife is not on my radar either.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I wear this one on my wrist so I'm always ready fer dinner.
    I had one of those as a kid. It doesn't fit in a pocket real well....
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I've got bunches of pocket knives, some nice ones, but the problem is that I can't really carry them for everyday use because I'm always going through metal detectors at courthouses and other public buildings. The TSA lists lots of various types of pocket knives they take from hapless travelers at airport metal detectors for sale on eBay. Search for "TSA pocket knives." The prices are dirt cheap. 25 small Swiss Army knives for $25 is a real bargain... if you need 25 of them.

IMG_1937.jpg

No gentleman.
    Above is my former everyday Boker,(incredible steel)now with a broken mainspring��
    Below is current everyday,$14Cdn on sale,chinese Buck.
    Steel is thick and soft
    The copper coil is to minimize EMP and aid thumb flick opening(much chagrin from the office workers)
    The line is hang out from my pocket for easier and cleaner draw.
    Also closes one handed
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

This whole thread is a non-pareille.

A gentleman does not need a knife.

A man of the world does.

And he does not buy a fancy-poo 500 dollar 'looks nice' knife, he buys a cheap yet functional cutting device.

To cut with, you know?
    I like Swedish Mora knives. Sold mostly by fishing supply stores. Not sporting goods stores, but stores that sell gear to professional fishermen. Good carbon steel, simple wooden handle, cheap plastic sheath. No tears shed when I lose one and buy another for around $10. I donít look or dress like a gentleman but I do my best to be one.

Fellow Pubster Fredz bought this CRKT Lake111 recently, and didn't love it. So he kindly passed it along to me. It was designed by a fellow I've never met, but who is a friend of a friend... so I might meet him one day (if the pandemic ever slackens enough to allow more traveling). I was going to keep in in the truck center console - replacing a smaller Pazoda. The blade is just over 3".

My darling DIL saw it when I was showing it off to my sweetie, and loved the 'double lock' feature, and needed a EDC. So now it travels with her. Sweet little blade --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

As I've mentioned on other knife threads - Portland is a good place to find a knife --

https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...rtland-oregon/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    Hmmm, I thought that Lake 111 was smaller than the Pazoda - certainly smaller than mine (come on, I mean my knife).

Anyway, it does seem an appropriate size for a ladies' knife.
    You could be right on the size, I was just going from memory. OTOH... neither can we trust some Polish kid who has a habit of claiming 5 = 11 <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Fellow Pubster Fredz bought this CRKT Lake111 recently, and didn't love it. So he kindly passed it along to me. It was designed by a fellow I've never met, but who is a friend of a friend... so I might meet him one day (if the pandemic ever slackens enough to allow more traveling). I was going to keep in in the truck center console - replacing a smaller Pazoda. The blade is just over 3".

My darling DIL saw it when I was showing it off to my sweetie, and loved the 'double lock' feature, and needed a EDC. So now it travels with her. Sweet little blade --

That is the best pocket knife around and they don’t make it anymore. It is The One.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    Trust me or not. I sent you a gen 1 Lake 111, not the Z model (ironic) you posted. The gen 1 has a 2.5" blade, and only one screw in the scales:

Attachment 115670
    Gotcha. It's a sweet knife, and the redhead really likes it. Thanks again.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks