Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: A gentleman's pocket knife

Default A gentleman's pocket knife

I've been carrying the same pocket knife, now, for about eighteen years, the one my Wife bought me for a birthday present a couple of years after we'd gotten together. I got to pick it out at a local cutlery store. I don't remember if I'd done any 'research' online back then, but the one I picked out is a Kershaw Indian Ford. Single blade lock-back, with bolster-less steel frame and rosewood inset in the handle. I think it was right about fifty bucks back then. Maybe a little more. This is an internet pic of one in new condition.

You can still see the model on knife websites but it's listed as discontinued and unavailable. I like mine, and keep it sharp and avoid using it for a prybar or screwdriver. I've learned to open it one-handed, and close it safely one-handed. I would feel naked without it. All of my jeans have a tell-tale wear silhouette where it rests.

The blade has gotten narrower over time by my keeping it sharp and to the degree that the blade has been shortened somewhat and the point exposed when closed. So to keep from getting jabbed by it when putting my hand in my pocket, I had to grind down the point to a modified sheep's foot blunted point. It's still sharp and useful, but I am thinking I've been a good boy and maybe, my cutting out a fifty dollar per month habit will allow me to justify splurging for a new knife. This is mine with the blade, shrunken from use over time.

I am ready for a slight change, but I still want a wood-handled, single blade lock-back. I wouldn't mind it being a half inch longer than my current one. And I am absolutely uninterested in plastic or carbon fiber or camo or rambo or box cutters or multi-tools.

Default Re: A gentleman's pocket knife

How about an Opinel? They come in a variety of sizes, and in either carbon or stainless steel. The locking mechanism is different; it's a rotating ferrule.

Hard to beat an Opinel.

https://www.opinel-usa.com/pages/folding-knife

Choose your poison. Reasonably price. Great steel. No springs. Black locks open via its virobloc, a simple rotating metal collar. And if you don't like the stock models, you can carve your own.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by pandelume View Post
    How about an Opinel? They come in a variety of sizes, and in either carbon or stainless steel. The locking mechanism is different; it's a rotating ferrule.
    Great minds think alike
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I need the thin point on mine for beginning cuts when I'm skinning. You put the point of the knife through the skin and then open the start of the cut rather than having to slice into the hide and cut up hair which sticks to the meat. I bought a similar looking knife to yours many years ago. It was a Titan G96. Good knife. Fell out of the broken pouch on my belt when I leaned over to squeeze under some low lying branches while driving a hundred and twenty horsepower tractor and pulling a big heavy offset plough. I knew where it happened but despite many visits to the site I could never dig it up.
    Titan G96. They're still available on line as far as I know. JayInOz

I have a few Opinel knives kicking around and have mixed reviews. The lock mechanism can be quite stiff and isn't particularly "positive", it is really a two-handed operation and I have the scar to prove it. They do feel good in the hand though and the blade is a nice utilitarian shape.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

The lock mechanism on the G96 pictured is one of it's bestest features- strong, precise and bullet proof.

I know it's blasphemous to say but I've never liked Opinel's the stock seems like cheep wood, the cheep stamped metal on the virobloc always seemed flimsy and the blade would always rock a bit and made me uneasy. Trust me I've tried to like them, I wanted so much to keep one on me while smoking a Gauloises and using it to cut some soft brie and use it to peal back the foil on a nice bottle of Bordeaux, but it just seemed to cheep to even keep in a pick-nick basket.

I've kept a Ken Onion Kershaw Leek in my front pocket on and off for about 10 years now and I love it. The spring assist is perfect, as is the combination of serrated and strait blade. The switchblade like opening is satisfying and best of all if you are ever in an emergency situation and need to cut a piece of line its quick one handed action.

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

The other way to keep the pint in the handle when folded id to grind away the pat by the hinge on the sharp side of the knife

Untitled.jpg
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

My father always carried a small folding knife in his pocket. I never felt the need.
    When at home, I've got a few Stanley utility knives in my shop and keep one in my car.
    My fishing tacklebox has a couple of fixed blade knives.

Of course, now that you guys are talking about it, I want one!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

That's a pretty nice knife, Kershaw will put a new blade in it for you

https://kershaw.kaiusa.com/warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    cheep
    That is exactly why I like them, I do not want to spend 50 or 100 bucks on something that inevitably will fall out of my pocket when I least expect it. Opinels have high carbon steel blade (which the knife in the OP does not, it's stainless) which can cut far better because it is made thinner (being stronger) so you can then hone a much finer edge. Stainless blades suck.

Opinels are 8 bucks for a superb knife at that price point. I have around 8/9 at the moment, including a ~9 which is a kitchen favourite. I have had a number 4 or 5 in my right jeans pocket for over 25 years, along with a 2 inch sharpening stone in my man bag of choice. Never had any issues with the locking mechanism; one thing I think is really great is that they lock closed as well. I found out why that might be important when I deeply sliced three fingers reaching for some change in my pocket that had a non-locking (supposedly closed) knife in there too. I would not say that it is a gentlemans knife however, but it is the thinking mans knife hands down.

Knives are for cutting, not sawing. Saws do that much better.

..and it is spelled Cheap.

Unless you are Tweety Bird.

When in Jr. high school classmates and I would often compare our pocket knives. Now it would be cause for suspension (not that there's anything wrong with that).

A. G. Russel has a nice selection, might help you with your search.

As a kid, it was a Boy Scout knife.

Then, for years, a smaller Victorinox.

For many years now, I've kept a Kershaw 1960 in my front pocket, on a lanyard so it doesn't go swimming. Discontinued now, methinks, but I've sure been impressed with it. Holds an edge nicely, and has held up to a lot of 'shouldn't' uses --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Buck Prince

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    As a kid, it was a Boy Scout knife.

Then, for years, a smaller Victorinox.

For many years now, I've kept a Kershaw 1960 in my front pocket, on a lanyard so it doesn't go swimming. Discontinued now, methinks, but I've sure been impressed with it. Holds an edge nicely, and has held up to a lot of 'shouldn't' uses --

I used to tote something similar around, it was named "Dough Slayer" after all the donuts it dismembered.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Some of the Chinese knockoffs of those Buck knives are very good steel and a fraction of the price, but Chinese leather is garbage- the sheaths don't last long at all. JayInOz

Note to all, the first Opinels were meant to be throwaway utility knives. Never need sharpening, just get a new one at your local quincaillerie.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Kershaw Sinkevich Concierge Liner Lock Knife Wood (3.25" Gray) 4020WOOD

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Some of the Chinese knockoffs of those Buck knives are very good steel and a fraction of the price, but Chinese leather is garbage- the sheaths don't last long at all. JayInOz
    My Kershaw 1960 is Chinese steel. And it's very good. Way back when, some people I knew who were beginning to import woodworking tools from China told me, 'It's not all junk. They can supply almost any quality level you want.' Apparently, though, one has to be very careful about the specifications, because if there's room to wiggle out of some 'though we agreed to it' aspect... they will. And QC means constant vigilance. More than once they approved prototypes, then saw actual product shipped that was nowhere close. And hiring local folks for QC contracting means that the QC staff gets paid off to approve shoddy work. It wasn't until they got big enough to have their own full-time QC staff - and pay them enough so that they could be firm on the standards and incorruptible - that they were able to get consistency.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Note to all, the first Opinels were meant to be throwaway utility knives. Never need sharpening, just get a new one at your local quincaillerie.
    I think that compared to a lot of the knives mentioned, Opinels are still "throwaway" knives - they're certainly in the 'no-frills' category. But you can sharpen them, they'll hold an edge, and in general they're well made.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    That is exactly why I like them, I do not want to spend 50 or 100 bucks on something that inevitably will fall out of my pocket when I least expect it. Opinels have high carbon steel blade (which the knife in the OP does not, it's stainless) which can cut far better because it is made thinner (being stronger) so you can then hone a much finer edge. Stainless blades suck.

Opinels are 8 bucks for a superb knife at that price point. I have around 8/9 at the moment, including a ~9 which is a kitchen favourite. I have had a number 4 or 5 in my right jeans pocket for over 25 years, along with a 2 inch sharpening stone in my man bag of choice. Never had any issues with the locking mechanism; one thing I think is really great is that they lock closed as well. I found out why that might be important when I deeply sliced three fingers reaching for some change in my pocket that had a non-locking (supposedly closed) knife in there too. I would not say that it is a gentlemans knife however, but it is the thinking mans knife hands down.

Knives are for cutting, not sawing. Saws do that much better.

..and it is spelled Cheap.

Unless you are Tweety Bird.
    8 or 9 Opinels @ $10 on amazon = $80 - $90 for that price you could get a really nice pocket nife ( let's see if he pick up the typo ) Anyone else miss Don[n] ?

Anyway my Ken Onion Leek is $50 on amazon. I got this one on sale for about $28 over 10 years ago at a sporting goods store, haven't lost it no matter how hard I try. I only need one pocket knife. Never had mine open up in my pocket ever, thank God because I'm not ready for a vasectomy yet

Everyone has what they like, I like the combination of serrated and strait blade it suits my needs, it doesn't suit yours, thats cool . Hell I only use one good quality but "cheep" Global 8" chefs knife about $100 for just about everything in the kitchen.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    i find this hard to believe. the first opinels were produced in the 19th century. and would not have been thrown away when dulled. no effing way.

but, i don't carry my opinel (a nice old number 8 for genetlemanly pursuits, like quartering fruit in the hand, etc), or any other sharpen-able pocket knife. i am no gentle man, i am a 21st century barbarian. it is a box cu- err, "folding utility knife" for my everyday use, disposable blades (serrated!)

I'm not a gentleman, I guess. I've carried one of these for decades, and the other tools get more use than the knife blades.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Hard to beat an Opinel.

https://www.opinel-usa.com/pages/folding-knife

Choose your poison. Reasonably price. Great steel. No springs. Black locks open via its virobloc, a simple rotating metal collar. And if you don't like the stock models, you can carve your own.
    I have several Opinels. They make great knives that nobody ever seems to have heard about.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Jeez Fred! Move over Edward Scissorhands

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I own one small carbon steel Opinel, have never been very impressed with it. The steel is nowhere near as good as that in my Kersaw. It works for slicing cheese for crackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    What do you mean by 'nobody'? I own 18 Opinels - 9 No 08s, 4 No 09s, a pair of No 10s, one No 12, and a No 07 chestnut and a No 08 Garden.
    Plus, a set of Opinel steak knives, and 4 paring knives.
    My twin, Thorne The Magnificent, has had one as his EDC for decades.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I have a Swedish made wooden handled pruning knife. Had it for years and don't know it's manufacture other than 'made in sweden'. Keeps a very good edge and gets hard use in our garden.

My daily besides the Gerber Artifact is a Kershaw Speedfordm II #3550.
    Kershaw Speedform II Knife 3550 (kershaw-knives.net)

Tom

Spares but there more.
    DSCN0073 (1).jpg These are just a few of the ones I have used and parked until needed.

Tom

well, tom, if you are ever chased into your den by a pack of hyenas, you will not lack things to throw at them.

Case Knives, made in Bradford, PA, the town I grew up in.

Sycamore Handle

If you're a real gentleman, you can get one with an Ebony Handle for a few bucks more

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I'm not a gentleman, I guess. I've carried one of these for decades, and the other tools get more use than the knife blades.

Yup that's the best knife on the planet, officers version is a bit smaller and doesn't wear a hole in my pocket.