Thread: Roger C. Taylor (author and founder of International Marine Publishing)

Default Roger C. Taylor (author and founder of International Marine Publishing)

I've seen two posts on Facebook about the recent passing of Roger C. Taylor. Roger's books include the iconic "Elements of Seamanship", the four volumes of "Good Boats", and a two volume biography of L. Francis Herreshoff. Roger was the founder and leader of International Marine Publishing Company in the 1970's and 1980's. During Roger's watch International Marine published John Gardner's first books, Phil Bolger's first books, Pete Culler's books and other about wooden boats and traditional boats which are now standard references. Anyone reading this forum should be grateful for the books Roger wrote and the books he published.

Default Re: Roger C. Taylor (author and founder of International Marine Publishing)

My head must be in the sand! Unfortunate and I am grateful for his work publishing the books that inspired me to start a new career.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

RIP

I am sure many of us have enjoyed and benefitted from his work.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Default Re: Roger C. Taylor (author and founder of International Marine Publishing)

IM also published all seven of The Mariner's Catalogs from 1973 to 1979, anthologies of book chapters, articles, illustrations and resources. For some of us they were the nautical equivalent of the Whole Earth Catalogs of the late 60s and early 70s which were, according to Steve Jobs, somewhat of an inspiration for online search engines. https://www.maidenvoyagebooksellers....riners-catalog
    To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
    To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
    To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner.
    To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
    To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
    And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.
    - Attributed to E.B. White

I have many of their books, and his. Great writer. I think I remember some kind of subscription, or book of the month, or buy two get one deal in the eighties.
    Fair winds.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

books...pffft
    all i need to know is on The View

RIP Roger. I benefited from and appreciated his work. I may have some books left but have donated most of them.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

I have read many books written or published by Roger C. Taylor. The "Good Boat" series is one I read from the library and then bought copies for my own bookshelf
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

I am sorry to hear about Roger's passing. I too have enjoyed a lot of books that he either wrote or published over the years. He also appeared in several videos over at Off Center Harbor.

He did the boating world a huge favour by publishing some very memorable books,without which a lot of unique information may have been lost.I did actually write a letter to him querying why a book he was promoting was taking so long to appear in the UK and he was generous enough to reply and provide the details of the delay.

I missed notice of his death. A great loss. Sail on.

I join in what others have posted, above. I have several of the books that he wrote and edited and several more that he published.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Sorry to hear of this. Roger was a Great Man to the Traditional Cruising boat world. I became aware of Roger when he was writing for his publications of National Fisheman (Maine Coast Fisherman and Pacific Fisherman) He contributed many things but he caught my attention way back in the 1960's writing about various cruising boats he had known, some he owned, some he sailed. These later developed into the Good Boat Book series. But more recently his Master Work is/was the two volume biography of L.Francis Herreshoff. I spoke with Louis Howland at his unveiling of his work on Starling Burgess and while he was signing my copy I said: "Someone's got to do a book on L.Francis" He replied that it was underway with Roger Taylor so I knew it was in good hands. Sometime a year or two later Roger was unveiling his L.Francis Vol I and I was at the presentation. Speaking to Roger about this massive undertaking he told me that his research material filled a room in his house and he had been at it for 30 years! A crowning achievement to a life of writing about the boats we love. RIP Roger and thank you.