Page 160 of 299 FirstFirst ... 60110150159160161170210260 ... LastLast
Results 5,566 to 5,600 of 10446

Thread: Ukraine

  1. #5566
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Clackmannanshire, Scotland
    Posts
    131

    Default Re: Ukraine

    The Beeb is showing a picture of what could be the bow if a boat under the bridge a moment before the explosion.....
    Dwedais "Gwirion", nid "Twp"

  2. #5567
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    60,027

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    The trestles appear to be intact. The deck has been bounced, displaced sideways and fallen. So whatever happened was not what was tried on those failed examples of yours.
    Any charges on the top of the trestles powerful enough to do that would have probably displayed lots of tarmac, which has not happened
    Attachment 120997


    Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    I'm not sure what you're saying here but I have offered no explanation as to what series of events caused this result other than to suggest blowing it from atop the roadway would be the least efficient (although not least likely) way to achieve definitive results. I would expect tons of explosive regardless if truck borne or delivered by a missile to dislocate plenty of structure but not be a killing blow. We have never disagreed there but again, neither you nor I can be entirely sure what delivery system or systems were definitively used here. The use of a truck makes sense in the context we have been provided but at my limited capacity to understand the event, there's no way to be sure how this was accomplished except to say the railway is clearly damaged but still standing.
    And I have given engineering based arguments indicating that the evidence does not indicate explosives below the road way.

    I speculated earlier that shoddy build or poor oversight during construction makes the bridge more vulnerable but I can't prove that either. In fact at this time I don't think it's within anyone's purview to do more than speculate on delivery mechanisms. What I have advocated is that it's very hard to take a bridge down from the top of the roadway and I believe the videos I linked show how charges are typically set and they always start at the foundation and attachment points when that option is open. I don't argue that it wasn't a truck although as others have said, the idea that the driver leaped from the vehicle prior to detonation seems at least a bit fanciful.

    Honestly, I don't know why you've argued against the notion that the best way to demolish a bridge is to start at the supporting structure rather than doing it top down. It seems to me using a truck, which I never ruled out and think quite likely, was an expedient employed because it was the most practical way to deliver the charge as opposed to the most efficient way to actually destroy the bridge. It seems to me that if Ukrainian sappers were given free hands to blow the thing, they would have set charges where they would be most efficient. This being impractical, they did the next best thing, whatever that was, but just as likely, they used a truck, and not just any truck, rather a full sized semi. It did the trick.

    The results achieved do seem to have been quite suited to purpose whatever the method was. I don't think we'll know the details until such time as history clarifies them for us. On the other hand, the notion that someone jumped from a rolling vehicle seems much less likely than using either a volunteer prepared for the sacrifice or an unwitting driver being detonated along with the truck. I don't think it's really that complicated conceptually although the number of moving parts required to get this done was surely not easy to organize.

    Could a truck have achieved these results? Yes. Could a large missile have achieved these results? Yes. Could more than one device have been employed? Yes. Would set charges have been preferable to all the previous approaches? Yes, but there is no way they could have accomplished that in this situation. Where is the argument?
    Where is the argument?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Jesus Nick donít be thick. This is exactly how itís done in the real world. I will post some more for you.


    I am not arguing about the best way, I am analyzing the evidence to determine what actually happened. Which you do agree was quite effective, all things considered.
    P.S. where did I say jumped from a rolling vehicle? You assume too much.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  3. #5568
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Gulf Islands B.C.
    Posts
    4,553

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Potatoes patatoes….who cares how it was blown up, let’s all just celebrate that it was blown up!

  4. #5569
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    28,924

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Gen. Wesley Clark on, among other things, why nuclear weapons don't win battles:


  5. #5570
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norwich,United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,601

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    Potatoes patatoes….who cares how it was blown up, let’s all just celebrate that it was blown up!
    Agreed.On another forum I saw the pic from the road bridge side and a comment in the style of the Fat Controller telling Thomas the Tank Engine that the replacement bus service wouldn't be all that great either.The actual words were a bit earthier.....

  6. #5571
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    29,381

    Default Re: Ukraine

    I fear that the temperatures reached on the rail bridge may not have been high enough. But a very commendable effort.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

  7. #5572
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    26,325

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Russia annexed Donbass etc.

    So I guess it's a war on Russian territory now.

    NATO is reluctant to admit a member already at war.

    NATO has not been confronted with such a situation before. So they should stand still, crossing their legs and squeezing hard until they finally P themselves.
    Long live the rights of man.

  8. #5573
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Russia annexed Donbass etc.

    So I guess it's a war on Russian territory now.

    NATO is reluctant to admit a member already at war.

    NATO has not been confronted with such a situation before. So they should stand still, crossing their legs and squeezing hard until they finally P themselves.
    Since NATO and the US aren't recognizing Russia's 'annexation' the fight, to everybody but Russia, is on Ukrainian land. So the west keeps on supplying Ukraine with high tech goodies, training, etc. etc. until they drive the Russians out. Once the fighting stops, NATO admits Ukraine. No need for excessive leg squeezing.

  9. #5574
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Posts
    35,060

    Default Re: Ukraine

    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

  10. #5575
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    30,592

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Garth Jones View Post
    Since NATO and the US aren't recognizing Russia's 'annexation' the fight, to everybody but Russia, is on Ukrainian land. So the west keeps on supplying Ukraine with high tech goodies, training, etc. etc. until they drive the Russians out. Once the fighting stops, NATO admits Ukraine. No need for excessive leg squeezing.
    Butbutbut... some of us needs the exercise!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  11. #5576
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Posts
    35,060

    Default Re: Ukraine

    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

  12. #5577
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    26,325

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Some say the concept of a tactical nuke is bogus. They're smaller -- so what?

    Blast radius of "heavy damage and casualties" is 2.5 miles for a tactical; 5 for a Hiroshima-size strategic. Tactical is 5 kilotons; Hiroshima was 16.

    Why should anyone consider a two-mile radius not strategic? Why was the target chosen? Even a fairly far gone nut case wouldn't drop two kilotons on cabbage fields. Two kilos on Kiev would be strategic.

    A state threatening such must be neutralized because the threat needs to be neutralized. Russia's nuclear capability needs to be put under NATO supervision indefinitely.

    In 2017, then-Air Force Gen. John E. Hyten took exception to the idea that tactical nuclear weapons are really in a different category than strategic nuclear weapons. Hyten, who was at that point overseeing U.S. nuclear weapons as the chief of U.S. Strategic Command, described how the United States could respond if another country used them.

    ďItís not a tactical effect, and if somebody employs what is a nonstrategic or tactical nuclear weapon, the United States will respond strategically, not tactically, because they have now crossed a line, a line that has not been crossed since 1945,Ē Hyten said.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...clear-weapons/
    Long live the rights of man.

  13. #5578
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    26,325

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Garth Jones View Post
    Since NATO and the US aren't recognizing Russia's 'annexation' the fight, to everybody but Russia, is on Ukrainian land.
    The war is about Russia's claims. If they are defeated, they will renounce those claims, to Ukraine, Belarus, NATO and each member nation individually. Non-negotiable. The forced renunciation will be enforced by collective force, including Ukraine's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garth Jones View Post
    So the west keeps on supplying Ukraine with high tech goodies, training, etc. etc. until they drive the Russians out. Once the fighting stops, NATO admits Ukraine. No need for excessive leg squeezing.
    Why end the war quickly and decisively when you can let Ukraine suffer on to certain victory, and then make them our strategic Russia-countering pledged to mutual defense ally?

    Quote Originally Posted by Garth Jones View Post
    No need for excessive leg squeezing.
    It's the very thing. Fingers crossed, legs crossed, needing to pee really bad, must wait for Ukraine to win alone.
    Long live the rights of man.

  14. #5579
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Posts
    35,060

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell
    A state threatening such must be neutralized because the threat needs to be neutralized. Russia's nuclear capability needs to be put under NATO supervision indefinitely.
    Wait a few more months. I believe the threat will be neutralized internally. I do not believe Putin will be President of Russia 12 months from now. Putin has unnecessarily exposed the Russian military as a paper tiger. All due to his ambition and hubris. That will likely be fatal for him.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 10-09-2022 at 08:32 PM.
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

  15. #5580
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    71,061

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    This from people I don’t usually agree with:

    A Moment of Strategic Clarity


    https://www.rand.org/blog/2022/10/a-...c-clarity.html



    by Raphael S. Cohen and Gian Gentile
    October 3, 2022

    Russia's “partial mobilization” and its sham referendums to justify the annexation of four provinces in Eastern Ukraine create new sources of uncertainty about the future course of the war. Yet Russia's actions should also produce a rare moment of strategic clarity for Ukraine's partners: No viable path to negotiated peace remains, and any result short of Ukrainian victory will be, in the long run, a worse outcome for the rules-based international order…..
    I've been talking about the Phony War for some time, i think it is coming to its conclusion.

  16. #5581
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    26,325

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Beau says, everything outside of Russia's borders would be destroyed by conventional weapons. Clear on out to their mercenaries in Africa. That means

    1. All of the exclaves.
    2. Abkhazia, South Ossetia and Armenia.
    3. All their stuff in Syria.
    4. Whatever, wherever.

    Even without NATO, Beau says, America rules the skies. What use will Russia's tactical nukes be in Syria? Kazakhstan? He's going to tactically nuke the S out of Ukraine? How would it save Transnistria? US Air Force bases in Germany, Turkey and Italy? Then NATO is on his case with a quickness.

    He daren't launch just one, so he might as well launch them all, and go down in the bunker with his family and a pistol. We're going to call his bluff, or not, and let him go on conquering and annexing.

    A foundational premise of both the UN and NATO.
    Long live the rights of man.

  17. #5582
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    26,325

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Wait a few more months.
    Why? For want of a horseshoe, the war was lost. Putin is firing missiles at apartment buildings in a town with a nuclear reactor.. We should give . . . somebody . . . more time . . . why?

    In war, if you're in position to press an advantage, you press it hard.

    People speak of The West not helping the Russians "enough" after the breakup of the Soviet Union. Now they speak of helping Ukraine "too much".
    Long live the rights of man.

  18. #5583
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    71,061

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Beau says, everything outside of Russia's borders would be destroyed by conventional weapons. Clear on out to their mercenaries in Africa. That means

    1. All of the exclaves.
    2. Abkhazia, South Ossetia and Armenia.
    3. All their stuff in Syria.
    4. Whatever, wherever.

    Even without NATO, Beau says, America rules the skies. What use will Russia's tactical nukes be in Syria? Kazakhstan? He's going to tactically nuke the S out of Ukraine? How would it save Transnistria? US Air Force bases in Germany, Turkey and Italy? Then NATO is on his case with a quickness.

    He daren't launch just one, so he might as well launch them all, and go down in the bunker with his family and a pistol. We're going to call his bluff, or not, and let him go on conquering and annexing.

    A foundational premise of both the UN and NATO.
    I agree unfortunately it'll be all or nothing. The world might end up a very different place. In Aus Pine Gap and associated sites and maybe a city or 3

  19. #5584
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Farmington, Oregon
    Posts
    21,647

    Default Re: Ukraine

    anybody else get this ad at the bottom of this page? rufkm.

    8D5A2374-DC1A-466E-B52E-BA60AB1A43BC.jpg

    free shipping...worldwide

  20. #5585
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Posts
    35,060

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell
    Why? For want of a horseshoe, the war was lost. Putin is firing missiles at apartment buildings in a town with a nuclear reactor.. We should give . . . somebody . . . more time . . . why?
    Ukrainian forces were shelling around that nuclear reactor as well. Wasn't it occupied by Russian forces? I accept that Russia is the unlawful aggressor and my sympathies are with the Ukrainians. But I also recognize that both sides are engaging in propaganda.

    I suspect not everyone in the upper reaches of the Kremlin has a death wish. Many of them wish to survive to continue making millions off their countrymen.
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

  21. #5586
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,532

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I agree unfortunately it'll be all or nothing.
    Some of us are not OK with that . . .

    This voyage of peace is dedicated to all of you . . . that you may find peace, and/or it find you.

    https://www.facebook.com/watch/GoldenRulePeaceBoat/

    Last edited by sandtown; 10-09-2022 at 10:35 PM.

  22. #5587
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    17,359

    Default Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Some say the concept of a tactical nuke is bogus. They're smaller -- so what?

    Blast radius of "heavy damage and casualties" is 2.5 miles for a tactical; 5 for a Hiroshima-size strategic. Tactical is 5 kilotons; Hiroshima was 16.

    Why should anyone consider a two-mile radius not strategic? Why was the target chosen? Even a fairly far gone nut case wouldn't drop two kilotons on cabbage fields. Two kilos on Kiev would be strategic.

    A state threatening such must be neutralized because the threat needs to be neutralized. Russia's nuclear capability needs to be put under NATO supervision indefinitely.

    The difference between "tactical" and "strategic" isn't so much much yield as it is reach.

    Being able to reach out touch a random target halfway around the world in 15 or 30 minutes is vastly different than being able to touch an in-theater target a few miles away.

    And yield in a tactical nuke is limited by a couple of factors: for instance, we had a nuclear-capable 203mm howitzer (the M110). It had a range of c. 25 km. It's yield was limited by (1) physical size and mass, and (2) effective range -- you don't want to kill (at least, not immediately) your own guys.

    I had a friend, ex-Marine, who served in Bush War I in Kuwait. He was an infantryman (got the combat infantry badge to prove it). I was visiting him on his liveaboard, and he had his Marine infantry manual sitting on the shelf. Which I started perusing.

    What scared me was this: there was an entire chapter devoted to how one requests deployment of a tactical nuclear package.

    The fact that a low level grunt is expected to know that should scare you beyond belief.
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 10-09-2022 at 10:55 PM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  23. #5588
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,532

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    The difference between "tactical" and "strategic" isn't so much much yield as it is reach.
    The fact that a low level grunt is expected to know that should scare you beyond belief.
    Sane people are indeed scared beyond belief.

    But there do not seem to be many of them here floating around the Blige.

  24. #5589
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,532

    Default Re: Ukraine

    O R wrote, sigh, . . . "A state threatening such must be neutralized because the threat needs to be neutralized."

    Including the numerous nuke threats issued by the hyper-power . . . ??

    Once again, your jingoism is showing !!

  25. #5590
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    29,381

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Russia seems to be using some of its large stock of “dumb” missiles in attacks on Ukrainian cities.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

  26. #5591
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,326

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Waisting military resources on terrorising civilians is a way to lose a war. I hope the Ukrainians don't answer in kind; they need to use their resources where it has the greatest effect, which primarily is to defeat RF air force assets, artillery or logistics whether the targets are in Ukraine, Russia or Belarus.
    /Erik

  27. #5592
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cant„o - Brazil
    Posts
    17,447

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    The difference between "tactical" and "strategic" isn't so much much yield as it is reach.
    The difference is in the intended effects. Tactical is when the aim is to change the situation in the battlefield. Strategic is when the aim is to terrorize the enemy into giving up.

    A Hiroshima-size bomb on a Ukrainian troop concentration would be tactical. A 5-kt bomb detonated over, say, Kharkiv would be strategic.

  28. #5593
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    71,061

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Dozens of Russian missiles hit multiple Ukrainian cities

    Ukraine’s capital, Kyiv, and several other major cities have been hit in a barrage of missile attacks, hours after Russian President Vladimir Putin accused Ukrainian forces of “terrorism” over an explosion on a bridge connecting Russia to its annexed territory of Crimea.

    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...issile-strikes

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5i-HCrEhGM&t=1s

    So the ego of one man may destroy us all yet.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 10-10-2022 at 05:53 AM.

  29. #5594
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    N 78 13 E 15 39
    Posts
    1,236

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Russia is retaliating by bombing civilian targets of no military or tactical value. Because that is all they are capable of. Aim a missile at a big urban center and you're bound to hit something.
    Bundin er bŠtleysur maūur

  30. #5595
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    35,063

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    Sane people are indeed scared beyond belief.

    But there do not seem to be many of them here floating around the Blige.
    That is because you are reading into what they post what you expect to see and not what is actually written. Empathy and respect for how Ukraine is dealing with the invasion is not a love of war or violence.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

  31. #5596
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    7,480

    Default Re: Ukraine

    "On a scale of 1 to 10, the Pentagon rated the Ukrainian defence forces at 12".

    It's tough, but hopeful

    Last edited by gypsie; 10-10-2022 at 06:17 AM.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  32. #5597
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Poznań, Poland
    Posts
    3,620

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    Sane people are indeed scared beyond belief.
    But there do not seem to be many of them here floating around the Blige.
    Being scared does not automatically mean being submissive, being submissive does not automatically mean being scared.
    You claim to have military experience, you should know that.
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

  33. #5598
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    7,480

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    That is because you are reading into what they post what you expect to see and not what is actually written. Empathy and respect for how Ukraine is dealing with the invasion is not a love of war or violence.
    Well said.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  34. #5599
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    71,061

    Default Re: Ukraine

    One can only die Sandy, and no one get's out of here alive. But there are worse things than death I'll allow. The religious should probably be the most scared I reckon…….

  35. #5600
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cant„o - Brazil
    Posts
    17,447

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Sorry, Nick:


    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63192757


    "I've seen plenty of large vehicle-borne IEDs [improvised explosive devices] in my time," a former British army explosives expert told me. "This does not look like one."


    A more plausible explanation, he said, is a massive explosion below the bridge - probably delivered using some kind of clandestine maritime drone.


    "Bridges are generally designed to resist downwards loads on the deck and a certain amount of side loading from the wind," he said. "They are not generally engineered to resist upward loads. I think this fact was exploited in the Ukrainian attack."



    Some observers have noted that in one of the other security camera videos, something that looks like the bow wave of a small boat appears next to one of the bridge supports, a split second before the explosion.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •