Page 210 of 359 FirstFirst ... 110160200209210211220260310 ... LastLast
Results 7,316 to 7,350 of 12553

Thread: Ukraine

  1. #7316
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    41,477

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by ERGR View Post
    I've not yet physically met anyone who supports the Russian side, or tries to sidetrack discussions about the war in Ukraine with whatabouts. Living close to Russia might have some bearing on that. I've only met Russian appologists on the internet where it's impossible to know if they are who they say they are.
    /Erik
    I have a student (American) with strong Russian heritage who has visited relatives there, studied the language, etc. She is afraid to visit there now and condemns Russian actions. I have not even heard of a person saying face-to-face to anyone that Russia is getting a raw deal in the press.

    Like they say, "On the internet, nobody knows you are a dog (or is it Russian?)."
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

    "Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

  2. #7317
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    20,851

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    My point is that a less war mongering place would be hard to find, and yet sandtown seems to think it’s inhabited by pro war hawks. He’s been blinded by his own biases. And sometimes when 99 out of 100 people that think the same way you do, for the most part, say you’re wrong, it may be worth reflecting.
    Definitely worth reflection.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  3. #7318
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    46,659

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    If you don’t think this place is extremely liberal, with almost exclusively liberal thinking members, you don’t get out much. There are perhaps 3 or 4 members who aren’t liberal thinking. You might get more liberal on a vegan forum but I doubt it.


    My point is that a less war mongering place would be hard to find, and yet sandtown seems to think it’s inhabited by pro war hawks. He’s been blinded by his own biases. And sometimes when 99 out of 100 people that think the same way you do, for the most part, say you’re wrong, it may be worth reflecting.
    Maybe it's because I live in a pretty liberal state (though the liberalism is modified by some libertarian tendencies) but I don't see the forum as much more liberal than the folks I deal with on a day-to-day basis. One thing I do see is that today's liberals are quieter than today's right-wingers. It's a bit like the silent majority is more liberal nowadays than when the phrase was coined.

    Visit Reddit if you want to see a bunch of liberals...

    I do agree that we have few truly conservative members here, though there are a number of former Republicans who have turned more liberal, at least partially because of interactions here. I wish we had some more conservative members, but that doesn't seem likely. I would say most here are fairly moderate - though leaning towards the left.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  4. #7319
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    29,773

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Perun on war in the winter:

    https://youtu.be/PI3PpsM3NOI
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

  5. #7320
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,216

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    I
    My point is that a less war mongering place would be hard to find, and yet sandtown seems to think it’s inhabited by pro war hawks. He’s been blinded by his own biases. And sometimes when 99 out of 100 people that think the same way you do, for the most part, say you’re wrong, it may be worth reflecting.
    There is such a thing as liberal interventionism - as in John Kerry and HRC's disastrous backing of the Iraq invasion. And lots of liberals supported the Vietnam War as well.

    Most of us in Vets For Peace have seen war, and oppose it as best we are able.

    We warned you very specifically EIGHT YEARS AGO about this conflict. You did not listen - too busy being librul I guess.

    Veterans For Peace resolution in 2015. We saw this war coming.


    Resolution 2015-04: Withdraw All NATO Forces from the Russian Borders


    Passed (Yes: 696, No: 61)


    Whereas, the recent conflict in Ukraine, provoked by NATO’s and the European Union’s
    aggressive expansion into Eastern Europe, has escalated into a dangerous confrontation
    between the U.S. and its NATO allies on the one hand and, and Russia, on the other, and


    Whereas, the tensions engendered by this confrontation have been intensified vastly by the
    brandishing of nuclear arms by both sides, and


    Whereas, the U.S. and NATO are step by step regressing back to their Cold War policy toward
    Russia, and


    Whereas, the escalating confrontation between the two major nuclear states seriously
    endangers world peace, with the potential of ending in a catastrophic nuclear confrontation.


    Therefore Be It Resolved that Veterans For Peace calls for:


    No further US/NATO military assistance to Ukraine, whether arms, advisors, or “nonlethal”
    aid;


    • Removal of all NATO forces from the Russian borders and reversal of NATO decisions
    to expand rapid reaction forces and supporting infrastructure in Eastern Europe, and
    particularly in states bordering Russia;


    • A moratorium on military exercises by all parties in and around Ukraine and European
    states bordering Russia;


    • A moratorium on exercises and tests of nuclear-armed forces world-wide in order to
    reduce tensions and risks of accidental nuclear war;


    • Termination of all plans for NATO expansion and deployment of ballistic missile
    defenses in Europe;


    • Intensive diplomatic efforts by the U.S. Government to reverse the deteriorating U.S.
    relationship with Russia, and, to this end, withdrawal of its nuclear weapons from
    Europe.

  6. #7321
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Farmington, Oregon
    Posts
    22,297

    Default Re: Ukraine

    well, it's easy to sound the alarm.

    lots of people are and have been alarmed about lots of stuff.

    that completely abandoning ukraine to its own devices would have made putin's invasion less likely is an extraordinary claim.

    in hindsight, holding ukraine closer might have been better. let them into nato in 2008. work on their institutions after their security is assured.

    the idea that ukraine could become a full-fledged western democracy while being constantly ****ed with by russia is, in retrospect, simple nonsense. hell, even american democracy damn near can't stand up to russian meddling, and we are oceans away.

  7. #7322
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Gulf Islands B.C.
    Posts
    4,553

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Once more failing to deal with the here and now, and what is happening.

  8. #7323
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    35,827

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    There is such a thing as liberal interventionism - as in John Kerry and HRC's disastrous backing of the Iraq invasion. And lots of liberals supported the Vietnam War as well.

    Most of us in Vets For Peace have seen war, and oppose it as best we are able.

    We warned you very specifically EIGHT YEARS AGO about this conflict. You did not listen - too busy being librul I guess.

    Veterans For Peace resolution in 2015. We saw this war coming.


    Resolution 2015-04: Withdraw All NATO Forces from the Russian Borders


    Passed (Yes: 696, No: 61)


    Whereas, the recent conflict in Ukraine, provoked by NATO’s and the European Union’s
    aggressive expansion into Eastern Europe, has escalated into a dangerous confrontation
    between the U.S. and its NATO allies on the one hand and, and Russia, on the other, and


    Whereas, the tensions engendered by this confrontation have been intensified vastly by the
    brandishing of nuclear arms by both sides, and


    Whereas, the U.S. and NATO are step by step regressing back to their Cold War policy toward
    Russia, and


    Whereas, the escalating confrontation between the two major nuclear states seriously
    endangers world peace, with the potential of ending in a catastrophic nuclear confrontation.


    Therefore Be It Resolved that Veterans For Peace calls for:


    No further US/NATO military assistance to Ukraine, whether arms, advisors, or “nonlethal”
    aid;


    • Removal of all NATO forces from the Russian borders and reversal of NATO decisions
    to expand rapid reaction forces and supporting infrastructure in Eastern Europe, and
    particularly in states bordering Russia;


    • A moratorium on military exercises by all parties in and around Ukraine and European
    states bordering Russia;


    • A moratorium on exercises and tests of nuclear-armed forces world-wide in order to
    reduce tensions and risks of accidental nuclear war;


    • Termination of all plans for NATO expansion and deployment of ballistic missile
    defenses in Europe;


    • Intensive diplomatic efforts by the U.S. Government to reverse the deteriorating U.S.
    relationship with Russia, and, to this end, withdrawal of its nuclear weapons from
    Europe.
    And what was Russia expected to do, respect Ukrainian sovereignty? You know that was not going to happen.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

  9. #7324
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,216

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    Once more failing to deal with the here and now, and what is happening.
    Contrary to the propaganda of the NYT, this is what is happening.

    Many of us do not defend Russia, but are not that wild about Ukraine either.

    https://fair.org/home/action-alert-n...ze-in-ukraine/

    You likely do not know this, but there was a time when the de-militarization of Eastern Europe seemed like a real possibility . . .

  10. #7325
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Farmington, Oregon
    Posts
    22,297

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    Once more failing to deal with the here and now, and what is happening.
    and separating his faction from the crowd, between those who were WARNED and those who did the WARNING. those who are AGAINST war and those who LOVE it.

  11. #7326
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    69,700

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Perun on war in the winter:

    https://youtu.be/PI3PpsM3NOI
    I don’t think there’s enough gear to keep me warm sitting in a frozen ditch for hours.

  12. #7327
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,216

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    And what was Russia expected to do, respect Ukrainian sovereignty? You know that was not going to happen.
    So you think war was inevitable ?? If that is the case, why pursue peace at all ??

    Or maybe there should not have been an avalanche of arms sent to the region . . .

    Did that, in part, make the war a self-fulfilling prophesy??

    Does VFP trust Russia ?? No. But we do not trust the hyper-power either.

  13. #7328
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    29,773

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    So you think war was inevitable ?? If that is the case, why pursue peace at all ??

    Or maybe there should not have been an avalanche of arms sent to the region . . .

    Did that, in part, make the war a self-fulfilling prophesy??

    Does VFP trust Russia ?? No. But we do not trust the hyper-power either.
    I try not to comment on this nonsense but the « avalanche of arms sent to the region » was some modern hand held anti tank missiles, sent by Britain, so the Russian invasion was our fault.

    Only once it was clear that the Ukrainian Armed Forces had seen off the initial Russian assault was any attempt made to seriously supply arms to Ukraine.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

  14. #7329
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Zealand's Far North
    Posts
    10,969

    Default Re: Ukraine

    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

  15. #7330
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
    Posts
    29,773

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Who is that jerk?
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

  16. #7331
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    7,850

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Putin will not comply with the oil cap that kicks in on Monday according to The Kremlin.

    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/12...e=articleShare

    On Tuesday it will be their idea no doubt, crafted to increase demand and make the Russian economy stronger.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  17. #7332
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,216

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I try not to comment on this nonsense but the « avalanche of arms sent to the region » was some modern hand held anti tank missiles, sent by Britain, so the Russian invasion was our fault. .
    That earns you the Fractal Wrongness Award of the week . . .

    In fact, per Neo-Con Nuland, "We have invested over $5 billion to assist Ukraine in these and other goals that will ensure a secure and prosperous and democratic Ukraine."

    And all that was BEFORE 2014.
    Last edited by sandtown; 12-05-2022 at 12:17 AM.

  18. #7333
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2
    Posts
    14,214

    Default Re: Ukraine

    In 2014 Russia invaded Crimea.

    In 2015 the Vets for Peace group blamed it all on the U.S. and NATO.

    So I looked up their position on Syria. Yup, in 2012 the whole problem was caused by America. http://antiwarcommittee.org/2012/12/...tion-in-syria/

    Why would anyone take this group seriously?

  19. #7334
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    72,005

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Sandy doesn't post much that is factual, but this is in the field "Whereas, the tensions engendered by this confrontation have been intensified vastly by thebrandishing of nuclear arms by both sides, and"
    I don't think that anyone in the west has proposed a nuke option, but authoritarian regimes always need an outside bogey, real or imagined. RW political parties in the west also use fear of 'the other' as an election tactic and of course America has done just that since probablyly the loss of the Maine, and before that it was the ex slaves and the sucessive waves of immigrants that have made the country what it is. That process still continues from the right whilst their industries rely on the labour.
    America has needed an outside threat, or if necessary created one, as long as I have been alive. But they can be very selective…...

  20. #7335
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    17,817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Who is that jerk?

    Wile E.Coyote, [Successful/Stable] Genius?

    https://youtu.be/h2Mwz9zeu7w

    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  21. #7336
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,216

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    So I looked up their position on Syria. Yup, in 2012 the whole problem was caused by America. http://antiwarcommittee.org/2012/12/...tion-in-syria/ Why would anyone take this group seriously?
    Vets For Peace was correct about Syria, not to mention Libya, not to mention Iraq, not to mention Afghanistan, not to mention Central America, not to mention Vietnam, not to mention Venezuela and Cuba and Bolivia . . .

    (Syria's suffering is actually a facet of a larger Sunni-Shia conflict - the Assad regime is Shia. The civil war there was mostly a project of the Sunni Saudis. The US NEVER should have gotten involved. And don't get me started on selling out the Kurds again . . . )

    Seriously, what was accomplished by the US intervention in Syria - or any of the others mentioned ???????

    I really don't think you know very much.

  22. #7337
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    72,005

    Default Re: Ukraine

    That's the risible nature of American foreign policy Sandy, only 4-8 years long and weathervanes wildly admin. to admin. Its mostly about internal matters, not so much external, and I'm not sure it has a big priority.

  23. #7338
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,061

    Default Re: Ukraine

    The ISW Russian offensive campaign assessment, December 4.
    https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...ent-december-4

    The Russian federation is implementing public Nazi style executions in her modus operandi

    Key Takeaways

    • Ukrainian officials have indicated that Ukrainian forces will continue counteroffensive operations over the upcoming winter.
    • Ukraine’s ability to maintain the military initiative depends on Ukrainian forces continuing counteroffensive operations in the winter of 2022-2023.
    • Russian sources reported that Ukrainian forces continued counteroffensive operations in the directions of Kreminna and Svatove.
    • Russian forces continued to conduct offensive operations around Bakhmut and Avdiivka.
    • Groups of mobilized Russian soldiers continue to disrupt Russian force generation efforts with refusals to fight, insubordination, and defiance.
    • Russian forces likely publicly executed residents in occupied Luhansk Oblast on accusations of partisan activity.
    Last edited by dutchpp; 12-05-2022 at 03:19 AM.

  24. #7339
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    72,005

    Default Re: Ukraine

    "Russian forces likely publicly executed residents in occupied Luhansk Oblast on accusations of partisan activity."

    Liddice anyone? We know whose manual they are using

  25. #7340
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cantão - Brazil
    Posts
    17,646

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post

    Therefore Be It Resolved that Veterans For Peace calls for:


    No further US/NATO military assistance to Ukraine, whether arms, advisors, or “nonlethal”
    aid;


    • Removal of all NATO forces from the Russian borders and reversal of NATO decisions
    to expand rapid reaction forces and supporting infrastructure in Eastern Europe, and
    particularly in states bordering Russia;


    • A moratorium on military exercises by all parties in and around Ukraine and European
    states bordering Russia;
    But Sandtown, if Ukraine gets no further assistance, it will lose and be turned into part of Russia.

    Then Poland and Romania will border Russia, so withdraw NATO support from them too?

  26. #7341
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    35,827

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    So you think war was inevitable ?? If that is the case, why pursue peace at all ??

    Or maybe there should not have been an avalanche of arms sent to the region . . .

    Did that, in part, make the war a self-fulfilling prophesy??

    Does VFP trust Russia ?? No. But we do not trust the hyper-power either.
    I think given Russian inroads into Ukrainian territory, starting with Crimea, this war was inevitable.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

  27. #7342
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    72,005

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Ask the Finns, Russia is not to be trusted having retained it's Czarist territorial ambitions and affection for imperial rule. Only the names have changed.

  28. #7343
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,216

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Ask the Finns, Russia is not to be trusted having retained it's Czarist territorial ambitions and affection for imperial rule. Only the names have changed.
    As I have pointed out previously, with evidence, Russia/USSR has a substantially better record of respecting treaties and agreements than the US.

    Someone must have given you a good, vigorous brain scrub.
    Last edited by sandtown; 12-05-2022 at 08:43 AM.

  29. #7344
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Gulf Islands B.C.
    Posts
    4,553

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    As I have pointed out previously, with evidence, Russia/USSR has a substantially better record of respecting treaties and agreements than the US.

    Someone must have given you a good, vigorous brain scrub.
    You keep saying this crap, but wtf does US inability to follow treaties have to do with what’s going on? So what if Russia breaks less treaties? It’s broken enough that the countries bordering it or being occupied don’t trust them. And that has sfa to do with the US. And your anti-US opinion on the matter carries zero weight.

  30. #7345
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    26,605

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    But Sandtown, if Ukraine gets no further assistance, it will lose and be turned into part of Russia.

    Then Poland and Romania will border Russia, so withdraw NATO support from them too?
    Dissolve NATO altogether, logically.

    To open negotiations, we could discuss establishing an area of protected Russian rule, east of a line running through Germany to the top of the Adriatic.
    Long live the rights of man.

  31. #7346
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    30,935

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Can't you, now? And as well-read as you and sandy claim to be.

    Surprising, isn't it?

    *We need a lil' Ruskie troll emoji.....
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  32. #7347
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    26,605

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    So you think war was inevitable ?? If that is the case, why pursue peace at all ??
    Why doesn't Russia pursue peace?

    Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    Does VFP trust Russia ?? No. But we do not trust the hyper-power either.
    OK, VFP doesn't trust either side. How does VFP propose to achieve peace, without some confidence that the two sides would make commitments and honor them? It could only be done by the certainty of massive force in reprisal for breaches. Who's going to provide that?
    Long live the rights of man.

  33. #7348
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    20,851

    Default Re: Ukraine

    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Can't you, now? And as well-read as you and sandy claim to be.

    Surprising, isn't it?

    *We need a lil' Ruskie troll emoji.....
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  34. #7349
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    30,935

    Default Re: Ukraine

    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  35. #7350
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Farmington, Oregon
    Posts
    22,297

    Default Re: Ukraine

    north atlantic treaty organization

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •