Page 132 of 213 FirstFirst ... 3282122131132133142182 ... LastLast
Results 4,586 to 4,620 of 7442

Thread: Ukraine

Default Re: Ukraine

Vlad is reported to be in his palace in Sochi.

Armenia has called on Russia for assistance against Azerbaijan under the terms of the CSTO alliance, and has not got any; some Armenian factions are now calling on their Government to abandon their Russian alliance and invite Iran to assist them. Death toll on the Armenian side now over 100.

Krgyz and Tajik border guards exchanged fire last night.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Sounds like the wheels are coming off. One one hand, these would appear to keep putin sufficiently busy - perhaps no time to interfere here, in November. OTOH - looks like that area of the world is imploding a bit. And I doubt the rest will be unscathed. It can get 'interesting' when the stuff hits the fan.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Looks like a Russain judge is calling to dissolve the council calling for Putin to step down/get out of Ukraine. The ruse is that they held "illegal meetings" and they're fining one of the members for calling out the "special operation".
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Looks like a Russain judge is calling to dissolve the council calling for Putin to step down/get out of Ukraine. The ruse is that they held "illegal meetings" and they're fining one of the members for calling out the "special operation".
    How long before he has a dodgy time with a window?

Another energy oligarch died in suspicious conditions by falling off his yacht in the Sea of Japan.

I wonder if what is behind it all is early dementia. One of the symptoms can be something like unwarranted aggression. The proverbial cranky old man. What do the people of a nation do when their autocrat becomes unreasonable?

A large number of the people meeting an early and suspicious end were those who put Putin in power originally. I think he's consolidating his position and sending a message to those who feel that if the put him there, they can remove him.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I found a whole lot more lectures!

https://youtu.be/bJczLlwp-d8

Well, two so far, and that’s the first one, which is quite simple, but it’s the place to start because the second one is less simple and I think that Professor Snyder is soon going to get very complicated indeed!
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

From Korshak's latest:

what does the Ukraine Armed Forces (UAF) have to do, in order to defeat the Russian Army?
    A: Well, the first thing you have to do is catch them!

https://www.facebook.com/stefan.korshak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_iRIcxsz0

A few changes in geography, names and language…...

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Henning 4148 View Post
    What do the people of a nation do when their autocrat becomes unreasonable?
    They humor him - “What harm could it do?” Then they pump him up with conspiracy theories and bad legal advice. Then they rally for him and launch a clown show insurrection in his name at the national Capitol.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

War is evident inside Russia.
    Belgorod, just inside the border near Kharkiv, watches the movement of soldiers in and the wounded out of Ukraine.
    On their way through soldiers buy military clothes, like thermal underwear and camouflaged jackets, from the local shops.

Residents express fear about what will come next, with some even speculating that Ukrainian troops could take a step they have avoided for nearly seven months and enter Russian territory. “It is as if they are already here,” an ashen-faced woman told a merchant at the city’s central market, after the boom of an explosion. President Vladimir V. Putin has tried to keep life as normal as possible for most Russians as he conducts his war in Ukraine, and to make the hostilities a distant concept. But with Ukrainian forces now on the offensive, residents of Belgorod feel as if the war has come to their doorstep. “There are so many rumors, people are afraid,” said Maksim, 21, a merchant at the market. He was selling thermal underwear, camouflage jackets and other sporting goods that once went to hunters and fishermen but are now being bought up by soldiers and their relatives.

many people felt shocked and effectively betrayed by a Russian army they saw as liberators, but that was now on the run in the face of a sweeping Ukrainian offensive.
    “They were promised: Russia is here forever,” Ms. Nemchinova said.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/14/w...-belgorod.html
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

President Zelensky was involved in a car crash, he's ok, no serious injuries.
    https://www.nu.nl/spanningen-oekrain...wondingen.html
    Last edited by dutchpp; 09-15-2022 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    From Korshak's latest:

what does the Ukraine Armed Forces (UAF) have to do, in order to defeat the Russian Army?
    A: Well, the first thing you have to do is catch them!

https://www.facebook.com/stefan.korshak
    Same thing but opens here:

https://medium.com/@Stefan.Korshak/d...n-123ddc4c5030
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Following usual procedures, if Russia is fought to a point where they go home, there will be resistance from the rest of Europe and the US to pursuing all but the most blatant of war crimes for political and economic reasons. Russian oil and gas etc. Of course Ukraine will have other ideas…….

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Following usual procedures, if Russia is fought to a point where they go home, there will be resistance from the rest of Europe and the US to pursuing all but the most blatant of war crimes for political and economic reasons. Russian oil and gas etc. Of course Ukraine will have other ideas…….
    I think the International Criminal Court at Den Haag will be involved. Indeed I think the ICC already are involved.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Great links! thanks, AC-B!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I think the International Criminal Court at Den Haag will be involved. Indeed I think the ICC already are involved.
    A team of the Dutch military police specialized in forensic investigations is operating in Ukraine to assist the Ukrainian officials, you can be sure there's legal coordination with the appropriate institutions.

And by the way the Dutch do still want to prosecute those Russians criminals higher up in the command chain for the warcrime of shooting down civilian Malasian Flight 17 in the Donetsk area in 2014. So every opportunity to investigate, hunt them down and prosecute them is used.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malays...ines_Flight_17
    Last edited by dutchpp; 09-15-2022 at 11:18 AM.

The backlog on cargo to and from Kaliningrad has now exceeded three months.
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

Quote Originally Posted by WszystekPoTrochu View Post
    The backlog on cargo to and from Kaliningrad has now exceeded three months.
    That is news and it’s interesting news.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

More background reading or listening from Snyder, an interview at Davos on July 29:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/...raine-history/
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Henning 4148 View Post
    I wonder if what is behind it all is early dementia. One of the symptoms can be something like unwarranted aggression. The proverbial cranky old man. What do the people of a nation do when their autocrat becomes unreasonable?
    pretend it’s not happening.

Snyder’s Yale lecture #3: deep geography

https://youtu.be/Om_A5TTQMm0
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Perhaps thinking that the bloodshed and destruction was not yet sufficient,

it looks very much as if the US/UK in April blew up a peace deal between Ukraine and Russia.

https://responsiblestatecraft.org/20...al-in-ukraine/

. . . the West wants to fight to the last Ukrainian . .

I will confidently wager that you will see ZERO mention of this on the MSM
    Last edited by sandtown; 09-16-2022 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post

it looks very much as if the US/UK in April blew up a peace deal between Ukraine and Russia.

^ That is a bunch of malarky. The Ukrainians have lost territory and have had Russians at their throat for a very long time. Giving an inch over this decade has not served the Ukrainians much accept giving them time to organize.

Intelligence reports suggest the Russians still may use tactical nukes to achieve their objectives making calls for diplomacy worthless.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

The Ukrainians want to fight and ask the rest of us to help them with the means. The decision to fight or not belongs to Ukraine.
    Every time the Russians are forced back, more war crimes are revealed in cities they abandon. The Swedish news are currently filled with evidence of Russian war crimes when mass graves in liberated towns are examined; tortured bodies and executed Ukrainian soldiers.
    If I were Ukrainian, I would also fight the Russians to end. They've seen the consequences of losing.
    /Erik

That deal was news when it was happening. And it was Putin that scuttled the deal, not Boris.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by ERGR View Post
    The Ukrainians want to fight and ask the rest of us to help them with the means. The decision to fight or not belongs to Ukraine.
    Every time the Russians are forced back, more war crimes are revealed in cities they abandon. The Swedish news are currently filled with evidence of Russian war crimes when mass graves in liberated towns are examined; tortured bodies and executed Ukrainian soldiers.
    If I were Ukrainian, I would also fight the Russians to end. They've seen the consequences of losing.
    /Erik
    Many people forget that the Ukrainians have been fighting Russia since 2014. (And before!). This isn't new.
    -William A. Ward

I followed the link to see the original source of the information. It was Pravda, a Russian publication used to issue propaganda.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/05/5/7344206/

Follow the links in the text. From the article you linked to:

The decision to scuttle the deal coincided with Johnson’s April visit to Kyiv, during which he reportedly urged Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to break off talks with Russia for two key reasons: Putin cannot be negotiated with, and the West isn’t ready for the war to end.
    When I saw 'reportedly,' I naturally though, 'by whom?"

I followed the link to see the original source of the information. It was Pravda, a Russian publication used to issue propaganda.

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2022/05/5/7344206/

Quote Originally Posted by ERGR View Post
    /Erik
    I agree. I hope Putin doesn't use bio, chem or nukes. And if he does, I how the US and NATO has the balls to make sure they don't do it again.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I followed the link to see the original source of the information. It was Pravda, a Russian publication used to issue propaganda./
    Bull Pucky sir - My source(s) were US diplomat Fiona Hill, Responsible Statecraft, and Foreign Affairs . . . all of which are solid.

Just because Pravda reports something does not mean that it is false.

Rather than check out the veracity of the report, you immediately turn to attacking the messengers.

Shame on you.

Do you even have a clue as to who Fiona Hill is ??????????

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...he-white-house

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    I agree. I hope Putin doesn't use bio, chem or nukes. And if he does, I how the US and NATO has the balls to make sure they don't do it again.
    And I hope they are sane enough to abjure your nutsoness.

Bull Pucky sir - My source(s) were US diplomat Fiona Hill, Responsible Statecraft, and Foreign Affairs . . . all of which are solid.

Just because Pravda reports something does not mean that it is false.

Rather than check out the veracity of the report, you immediately turn to attacking the messengers.

Shame on you.

Do you even have a clue as to who Fiona Hill is ??????????

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...he-white-house

Yes, I have a clue who Fiona Hill is. Do you have a clue who Pravda is?

Shame on you. Do you honestly think Ukraine would miss a chance at peace because Boris told them to? Do you honestly think Zelensky needed Boris to tell him the Russians couldn't be trusted? Russia was a signatory to the Budapest Memorandum, yet here we are.

Do you even know what Pravda is?

Have you actually read what Fiona Hill has to say about Ukraine? As it happens, I've been following what she has to say. For example:
    https://www.foreignaffairs.com/russi...ntent=20220917

According to multiple former senior U.S. officials we spoke with, in April 2022, Russian and Ukrainian negotiators appeared to have tentatively agreed on the outlines of a negotiated interim settlement: Russia would withdraw to its position on February 23, when it controlled part of the Donbas region and all of Crimea, and in exchange, Ukraine would promise not to seek NATO membership and instead receive security guarantees from a number of countries. But as Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov stated in a July interview with his country’s state media, this compromise is no longer an option. Even giving Russia all of the Donbas is not enough. “Now the geography is different,” Lavrov asserted, in describing Russia’s short-term military aims. “It’s also Kherson and the Zaporizhzhya regions and a number of other territories.” The goal is not negotiation, but Ukrainian capitulation.
    At any point, negotiations with Russia—if not handled carefully and with continued strong Western support for Ukraine’s defense and security—would merely facilitate an operational pause for Moscow. After a time, Russia would continue to try to undermine the Ukrainian government. Moscow would likely first attempt to take Odessa and other Black Sea ports with the goal of leaving Ukraine an economically inviable, landlocked country. If he succeeds in that, Putin would launch a renewed assault on Kyiv as well, with the aim of unseating the present government and installing a pro-Moscow puppet government. Putin’s war in Ukraine, then, will likely grind on for a long time. The main challenge for the West will be maintaining resolve and unity, as well as expanding international support for Ukraine and preventing sanctions evasion.
    Sure, your source was Responsible Statecraft, which, it turns out, relied on 'facts' from Pravda, which has be notorious for my entire lifetime as a propaganda source.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Snyder’s Yale lecture #3: deep geography

https://youtu.be/Om_A5TTQMm0
    and #4: pre- European history, with a bit of philology and of course Vikings.

https://youtu.be/zhCK5uGJ3Tw
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT