Thread: R2ak 2022

Default R2ak 2022

Bios are coming in, the usual hilarious style. Tracker junkies unite
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Default Re: R2ak 2022

Hope he finishes building the boat in time!

https://r2ak.com/2022-teams-full-race/team-dark-star/
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.

I started this one early and am going to keep my comments to this one.

Comments about whether or not there should be a race can be addressed in the other thread in boat related or the bilge. Thank you.

Of interest to me today is team Dont Tell Mom is in the lead for the rowers. I am cheering these young ladies on. With the new rule I dont have a bet on the first place team or a favorite this year, but closely watching Pure and Wild on the outside. To be honest I think the bigger boats are going to make the competition on the inside go away, and I'm going to miss that. Then again every year is different and one of these races may be very low on wind and a light row cruiser could win, part of the fun. To me the most interesting part of the race are the small boats/small crews and the decisions that have to be made with those restraints.

Cheers,
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.

Looks like "Don't Tell Mom" has withdrawn? Bummer! Although they're still continuing on course so maybe the tracker just dims their display if they don't show movement??? Haven't figured out this year's tracker completely.

The guys going outside look to be moving well. They could be in good position for "Line Honors".

Hoping it is a tracker thing, but yea, the new tracker is so cool/complex I am still learning how to use it.

It looks to me like the tracker grays out if the boat hasn't moved for more than an hour. Gray with a bar indicates withdrawal from the race.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Looks like wild and pure will be in Ketchikan tonight. The steak knife contenders will hit Bella Bella today. 4 rowers past Seymore including
    Dont Tell Mom so that's cool.

So...looks like we'll be seeing big multis going outside next year, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    So...looks like we'll be seeing big multis going outside next year, maybe.
    Fewer logs would be a blessing to them.

I'm afraid they've ruined the spirit of the race by opening up the outside route. Big fast foilers will rule from now on. Got money? You can win.
    -Dave

Money will always benefit racers. What do we do, have income brackets?
    The event is about the event. Yes, there is a winner but the R2AK is much more than that.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    Money will always benefit racers. What do we do, have income brackets?
    The event is about the event. Yes, there is a winner but the R2AK is much more than that.
    Agreed. The race is about the people. The money nailed to a log is a gimmick, but the contest is people and 850 miles of water.

Money is always a factor, of course – no use bemoaning that. But with the outside route, R2AK is just another sailboat race.

Pure and Wild is in, 36 minutes short of the monohull record. Ketchikan celebrated by not getting rained on for four hours

The front of the race has been pretty ho hum but the paddlers are keeping it interesting IMHO anyway. I dont remember when the sweeper comes out but hopefully the human powered race can play out some more.

Fashionably Late makes an interesting move to the west for the steak knives, is it the only gamble they have or do they know something Elsewhere doesn't?

Looks like Elsewhere has the steak knives locked. 7nm to finish and moving with 5.8 VMG. Seeing Goldfinch passing Bella Bella is pretty cool

Watching Goldfinch with great interest. They are moving very well for a swing keel day sailor.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Dark Star has retired after battling headwinds while double reefed. He plans on taking a couple of weeks to find his way back to Port Townsend. Sad, DS was one of the few boats in the race I felt like cheering on.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I agree, but he accomplished a lot that I would be proud to claim. He built a beautiful Pathfinder with a Gunter Yawl sailing rig and made it across to Victoria and beyond under tough conditions.

A really long day with favorable wind/no wind could see Dont Tell Mom and Lets Row Maybe in Bella Bella tonight. decisions decisions.