Thread: Ice skating

Default Ice skating

The city of Stockholm and the suburbs around it prepare ice skating tracks on some lakes around Stockholm whenever the ice is thick enough for vehicles to do the job. The time slot between freezing and snowing is usually too short, so it's very much appreciated that the cities clear the ice skating tracks from snow.
    My favourite track is on the lake Norrviken, 14 km long. There were hundreds of skaters on it any time of the day between Christmas and New Years Eve.
    20211226_113037.jpg
    The night before yesterday was cloudy and a few degrees above freezing, so the thin layer of snow on the surface had melted. Although covered with water, all of the 14 km track was OK for skating. The layer of water is thin if the wind only produces ripples on the water. If it looks more like proper waves you might want to avoid skating exactly there.
    20220124_102008.jpg
    /Erik
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Ice skating

Erik, I envy you. We had no ice this winter and it a long time ago we could skate. Last winter we skated one time and the ice was thin. In 1997 we had a great winter, the Boat we lived on was lifted a bit in the ice berth and I completed a tour in the countryside. 160 km in a perfect Day. Frank

Frank,
    There are quite a few long distance skating competitions every winter, mostly intended for amateurs who are satisfied to just finish the race. The elite starts first and then they let the rest of us lose. We have many Dutch participants on every level to those occasions, probably more Dutch than all other non-swedes combined.
    /Erik

A bucket-list trip for me would be a week someplace with that type of distance skating opportunity. I know there are some skating-trails near Montreal, I just haven't made it there yet.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Each year around Christmas time, the city of Sacramento closes off a city block downtown, and builds a temporary outdoor ice skating rink. The kids love it. The ten year old tried it for the first time this past year.

The only time I've ever been ice skating was at an inside rink in Taipei, of all places. It was crowded, reminiscent of the roller skating rinks I remember from my distant youth, folks all bundled up and slowly moving around the place in a circle, while in the middle were a few lithe athletes in glittery spandex doing pirhouettes. The ice was bumpy and covered in shavings.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    A bucket-list trip for me would be a week someplace with that type of distance skating opportunity. I know there are some skating-trails near Montreal, I just haven't made it there yet.
    Why am I imagining the chase scene in Blades Of Glory?

That scene is totally unrealistic.
    figure skaters ALWAYS have their blade guards handy. I don't know how they do it, those outfits don't seem to have pockets, and then POOF! they have the blade guards in hand.

I used to track those people with a follow spot. Iíve seen the blade guard trick first hand.

I was thinking more of the drag race down the frozen canal. That is SUCH a stupid movieÖ

Erik, I think I will do that,next winter. Have permission already, but will train first a couple of weeks indoor . A good way to fight the winter blues. Frank

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Erik, hereís your third cousins skating and cross country skiing on the lakes in Minneapolis.

Thereís hockey rinks and long distance trail skating.

A2328418-9005-413B-AB9D-01CB6C01B94B.jpg
    4086520C-2A52-4C27-A840-44E854A06EAF.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Erik, here’s your third cousins skating and cross country skiing on the lakes in Minneapolis.
    Also some 17th and 25th cousins. Zoe's pretty good at it, and I saw some Somali kids learning to ice skate last week.

Pretty much every lake here has a patch cleared for skating, at least a hockey rink.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 01-27-2022 at 10:30 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

That brings back memories. When I lived in Edmonton the city used to clear an entire lake for skating. They had a changing pavilion with overhead radiant heaters where you could put your skates on or gear up for a bit of hockey. There was also a skate sharpening setup there where you could skate up and get new edges on your skates while you stood there with the skate they were sharpening off the ground. You could always find a pickup hockey game or just skate a few Km around the lake. There were also lots of neighborhood hockey rinks with lights you could turn on for night skating. Sometimes you had to clear the snow off the rink though, but that was a good warm up for a little hockey.

Erik, here’s your third cousins skating and cross country skiing on the lakes in Minneapolis
    Wonderful winter pictures. Third cousins would mean the same great great grandparents. I know that one of my great great grandfathers was born in 1827. That makes the timing right with respect to the emigration wave from Sweden to the US that ended at WW1. It's unlikely that I wouldn't have third cousins in Minnesota, and I hope they take the opportunity to skate if there's a lake like the one in the picture.
    /Erik

If this thread is about the love of skating then count me in! I got back on skates after a number of years away this past winter. Enjoyed the hell out of it! Mind you, I need to carry a ‘twig’ around for balance. / Jim

Our harbor is starting to freeze over. In the 1920s there was a winter when it froze over all the way to the main part of town a mile distant. My m-i-l skated to school and in the late afternoons carried special delivery mail to those who lived along the shoreline. Her father was the local postmaster so she earned a dime 'from the guvmint' for every successful delivery. She was eight years old.
    "Be curious, not judgmental." - (Misattributed to Walt Whitman as recalled by) Ted Lasso

Cool Re: Ice skating

At one time in my life, I was a pretty good skater.
    Now it's like this....

Enjoy it while you're young and can still do it.
    Last edited by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All; 01-27-2022 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Ow!
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

The idea of skating a long distance, down a river, and stopping periodically for some Mulled Wine (Glurg?) sounds wonderful!

I used to ice skate on our local pond every year. Our town also flooded part of a park between my home and my school. I'd bring my skates to school. After school I'd walk to that park and ice skate till dark. My mom skated on those ponds all of her younger life.

They stopped flooding the one park, and the other pond hasn't supported skating, except rarely, in several decades.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All View Post
    At one time in my life, I was a pretty good skater.
    Now it's like this....

Enjoy it while you're young and can still do it.
    I bought some skates and went out on a pond for the first time since I was a kid (I am almost 60) and that is what I looked like at first.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    They make skates differently now than they did 'back in the day'. When I lived in Ottawa I wanted to embrace living in one of the coldest national capitols in the world and go skating on the Rideau Canal, despite not having been on skates for at least twenty years. I knew that buying new skates would be a challenge (broad feet with high arches), but damn the torpedoes, and to hell with the cost! So I set about to find a pair of skates that would be comfortable and not put my feet asleep within ten minutes of strapping them on. I started out at Canadian Tire and Walmart and finally found myself sitting in a high-end sports store trying on a very expensive pair of semi-custom skates, but still no joy in mudville. It turned out that the most comfortable pair I had tried was the least expensive - Canadian Tire specials, made by a ski boot manufacturer (Lange) that was just breaking into the skate market. They even had Velcro straps instead of laces. I felt like a little kid - all I was missing was a pair of home-knit mittens with a 'dummy string' connecting them so I wouldn't lose them. So I bought the skates, thinking that I would get used to them. Nope. Tried several times and never lasted more than a half-hour before my feet hurt like hell. So I gave up on the idea of skating on the canal, or anyplace else. It sucks, because I really liked skating when I was a kid in my leather, lace-up CCM and Bauer skates.
    Hey I had a set of those plastic-boot lange skates back in the mid-80's!

These days there are skates to comfortably fit nonstandard feet, they just might not be on the shelf at your local chandlery. I don't normally spend big-money on hockey gear but I splurged on my easton makos because I decided to finally get skates made for wide feet and WOW I don't know why I hadn't done that for the previous 20 years!

I came to this thread to ask if anyone makes "cruiser" skates.... warmer, cushier, maybe easier on-and-off than the performance oriented hockey skates I know. My makos are great for an hour and a half of hockey, but I don't know that I'd want to skate them for an entire afternoon.

My (humorous) problem with skating was that I could only turn to the left.
    "Be curious, not judgmental." - (Misattributed to Walt Whitman as recalled by) Ted Lasso

Though I firmly detest cold, that does look like fun. Skated on a frozen lake growing up on Long Island. Lot more fun than a rink.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

We use special skates for long distance skating. I have a pair of hockey skates as well but only use those when I do my duty and train my grand children to skate.
    Long distance skates have much longer blades and a different gliding surface, flat and not concave like on hockey skates. My favourite skates are simple and low cost skates that essentially are blades strapped to extra stiff hiking boots.
    skridsko.jpg
    The trick for relaxed skating is to adjust the bindings correctly, as far back as possible and with the boot in a location so you get the forces through the skates to the ice without creating a bending moment on the foot. The boot doesn't have to fit as tight as hockey skates. Sturdy and comfortable hiking boots would probably work; I'd try that if my skating boots weren't comfortable.

Skates with a free heel like on cross country skis became popular a few decades ago. I bought a pair of such but don't like them as much. I thought that more modern and expensive skates would make me a better skater. The boot is almost a slalom boot and gives more support to the ankles. The salesman told me that it is the same boot as is used for telemark skiing (our Norwegian friends know what that is).
    klappskridsko.jpg
    /Erik

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I love the long distance skates!

Last winter we had a few rare periods of some really good ice conditions at a local lake. Herself loves to skate and was able to get out and enjoy it. I havenít skated since I was a kid but seeing her photos and videos (which I canít seem to find) inspired me to look for some skates for myself. I decided to go for buckle-on ďNordicĒ skates, similar to what Erik mentions, so I could use hiking or x-country ski boots. Couldnít find any in stock anywhere last year and now this year too. Iím looking for these, or similar:

lundhags-fleet-ice-blades.jpg

Last year when the ice conditions where like glass at the lake, I told one of my employees about it knowing he and his fourteen year old son are both avid skaters and hockey players. They got on the ice and were having a great time. The kid skated out to the middle of the lake and went through the ice. Dad, a level-headed guy, but no doubt must have been getting an adrenaline boost about then, skated out towards the kid. Kid says, "Stop dad, stay there, I got this", and proceeds to self-rescue. Good training and preparedness, and apparently the kid has some of his dad's level-headedness.

^ Nice story, JP!

Figment: try a set of figure skates. The blades are longer, though not as long as speed or distance skates, and don't have the rocker of hockey skates. You don't have to work as hard just to be in them

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Unfortunately I never learned as a kid in New Jersey. I've attempted it a couple of times as an adult, and even when I was young I looked pretty much like the guy in #18. Nope, not any more. I'll stand at the side and watch my granddaughter zip around.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    ^ Nice story, JP!

Figment: try a set of figure skates. The blades are longer, though not as long as speed or distance skates, and don't have the rocker of hockey skates. You don't have to work as hard just to be in them

Kevin
    After a lifetime in hockey skates, I'm absolutely certain that I'd trip over the toe picks. Nothing a file couldn't fix, of course.

The skates in #25 look fantastic!

Growing up in California in the fifties and sixties, we didn't do no ice skating, but we sure as you're born did some roller skating. Before we invented skateboarding by scavenging old roller skate wheels to make our own 'sidewalk surf boards.' The cool thing about the roller skates back then, the cheap, strap-on, steel-wheeled kind, is that we could roller skate anywhere there was pavement, sidewalks, the streets of the neighborhood, the playgrounds.

When my family moved to northern California we lived in the rounded hills of northern Marin County, not yet cheek by jowl with suburban sprawl. One of our favorite things to do, since we lived in a court on a short block at the top of one of those hills, was to do downhill slalom on skates or skateboard. Unlike on snow, when you get going faster than the cars on the downhill and your steel wheel hits a bit of gravel and instantly stops, you get the tumble, torn blue jeans, and the asphalt raspberry. Good training for later on when we graduated to riding dirt bikes on the trails on the hilltops behind the houses.

Thumbs up Re: Ice skating

It's close to zero tonight.
    A great night for ice skating.

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.