Thread: As a non-pilot I found this 20 minute video fascinating.

Default As a non-pilot I found this 20 minute video fascinating.

Also, knowing my limitations, I don’t think I could absorb and respond to, and execute, all the data that comes through the headphones.
    Hope some pilots comment on these two pilots.
    https://youtu.be/8r9WLEb2OUs

“Don’t worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon!”

Default Re: As a non-pilot I found this 20 minute video fascinating.

That's an older version Bonanza with that V tail.
    Yeah, I could never make heads or tails of all the seemingly gibberish either.
    But, if you're going to be a pilot, you have to learn the language.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

No prob, she can talk faster than the tower so she likely never has to ask for a repeat. I always thought anyone who flies a Bonanza had the World by the ass. I thought the T-tail Bonanzas were built concurrently with the V's, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    No prob, she can talk faster than the tower so she likely never has to ask for a repeat. I always thought anyone who flies a Bonanza had the World by the ass. I thought the T-tail Bonanzas were built concurrently with the V's, but maybe I'm mistaken.
    The two types were built side by side but the V-tail version was discontinued in 1982.
    A friend of mine owned a conventional tail Bonanza and I enjoyed flying with him several times.
    Sadly, he had a blacking out episode (while at the gym) and he could no longer pass the flight physical.
    That ended his flying.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

As an old person I have a problem understanding this young chicks. They talk sooo fast.

A friend of mine had a tape from the tower at Oshkosh '79. At the height of the incoming crowd they were landing a plane every ten seconds.

I didn’t enjoy the tape. Why do people always add annoying muzak? The idea that I started watching it with was to listen to the radio exchanges, because people here said they were an example of good technique. All I got was an impression of two giggly girls going on a picnic, because I couldn’t hear what was going on.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 01-22-2022 at 11:20 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

No too bad. Yes, the muzak is annoying and the giggly part, too, but otherwise it's just Air Traffic Control Coms. Fairly normal VFR flight with Flight Following (advisories from ground radar for other traffic, etc)
    However, for you non-pilots, the Oskosh arrival is quite the deal. The VFR (their) approach is a well described route through/over certain checkpoints at a proscribed altitude and speed. On a busy arrival day you can have airplanes in line all within sight of each other. All listen (but do not respond) to the approach controller who tells each airplane which runway approach to head for. The response to instructions is for pilot to "Rock your wings" rather than answer on radio. Their approach was a downwind to runway 27. Oshkosh is an event for all/any airplanes in late July for 10 days. On any given day their can be 10,000 airplanes on the ground there. People camp under their wings for the week! On busy arrival days when the wind cooperates they can have 3 runways functioning and 3 airplanes landing at the same time on each runway. It is amazing and challenging. Approach, land on your dot, and turn off into grass as soon as able. These girls did pretty well. Most all the early radio chatter was Flight Following. 1/2 of it was their own chit/chat but they actually did pretty well- both girls seemed knowlegeable. The right seater had been into OSH for this Event before.

The booklet outlining the procedures is 32 pages long! NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) (eaa.org) My wife did it once, solo, in her RV6a, which impressed the heck out of me.

I can tell you that it's a lot easier if you're a warbird or heavy aircraft. Orbit an island in the lake until they tell you to come in, then join on a right base for 36.

I was an EAA'r for over 35 years, and attended the Oshkosh fly-in almost every year, usually driving with a friend or two, and camping on the grounds. On three occasions, however, I flew in. First time was in my 1946 Aeronca Champ. Next was in my Bower's Flybaby homebuilt - took me over 10 years to build! Neither of those planes were radio equipped, so had to follow the NOTAM procedures mentioned above by Dave. For the final trip there some years later, my son & I were in our Cessna 182 - upon our arrival, the weather conditions had fallen to IFR. Fortunately, both the 182 and I were instrument rated, so we able to land, and enjoyed what turned out to be my last visit to Oshkosh.

I've seen a few of her other videos. She is a very smart lady. In one of her videos she talked about doing app development for smartphones as she flew from Michigan to San Diego for her new job.

Perhaps the American accent is as challenging to a Brit as the British accent is to me sometimes.
    Will

Professor Wiki Von Google says that the first two new post war all metal general av aircraft were the Bonanza and the Cessna 195. This woman has the Beech, and Xyla Foxlin has the Cessna. Is this a “thing”? Two under 30 women, both engineers and pilots, with 70 year old planes. Next thing you know, they’re going to take over!

Ooops, Xyla has a 140. Fabric??

I remember making a balsa model of the fork tailed doctor killer with my father around 1962. That’s as much as I know, but is owning and flying a plane from an earlier era of general aviation a “thing”?

I have now wasted forty minutes on listening to bad muzak and two young women discussing sunglasses and hair straighteners, twice, and that is enough.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 01-23-2022 at 04:40 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I thought they did a great job. I’m not sure I have it in me to fly to OSH. They were well prepared and worked together like pros. They made it look easy. The future (of aviation anyways) is in good hands. I hope they continue on and I get to fly with them some day.

I have now wasted forty minutes on listening to bad muzak and two young women discussing sunglasses and hair straighteners, twice, and that is enough.
    Really? seriously?
    Last edited by CK 17; 01-23-2022 at 06:12 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Owning older aircraft is definitely a "Thing". Old aircraft can still be very serviceable, and modern aircraft are VERY expensive.

OSH has it all: the newest stuff, the oldest stuff, the high-performance WWII fighters, every kind of homebuilt, and modern jets. But most of all -- and the cracker-jack prize -- is people. They're airplane-crazy, friendly as can be, happy to be there, and possessed of an understanding that during this week all the normal social conventions are suspended; and you can strike up a conversation with anyone, at any time, no problem; and talk engines/airframes/tools/projects to your heart's-content; and no one will ever give you a funny look.

And the scale of the thing is Vast. Enormous spreading Parks of airplanes. Just walking through the Transient area is like a pilot's wet-dream.

There is very little pretension at OSH. Mostly it's honest pleasure in good conversation about things that like-minded people care about. And ordinary folks with ordinary incomes and ordinary jobs and families are still, in the USA, usually able to fund some kind of airplane. Aviation is in no way elitist there, and that's the glory of it.

This is our airplane-tent-camp from 2013, with Robin in her newly-purchased RV6a.

osh 2013.jpg

Zara Rutherford 19. Just completed a round the world flight . News called her plane a Shark Ultralight.

I had great difficulty with the high pitched voices chattering away sixteen to the dozen over the muzak with American accents. I’m sure it’s wonderful if you speak the language. With James Cairn’s and Dave Hadfield’s explanations, I could follow what was going on, just. Sorry.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 01-23-2022 at 07:52 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I don't understand everything those two pilots say to each other either.

Truthfully that arrival wasn't very busy, for OSH; but they sure seemed to have a good handle on it.

Maria Langer is a commercial heli pilot in Wenatchee WA. She’s been doing videos for years. She is a heli nut!

https://youtu.be/28B-xBuINJw

I, too, had a lot of difficulty keeping up with the chatter although, to be honest, I didn't even notice that there was music playing. None the less, I enjoyed the video and watched the whole thing, as did my wife. We don't watch many 20 minute videos due to our pathetic internet connection.
    I thought James Caird's explanation of things was excellent. Thanks James.

You are welcome, guys. I'm with Dave- OSH is an AMAZing event full of every aspect of aviation and enthusiam largely supported by all volunteers. For OSHKOH the girls approach and landing was not a busy time. You can find some other OSH (Air Adventure) videos on You Tube. I understand the Air Traffic Control guys even bid to get to work it. (Maybe on their vacation time?) I was camped with a "Type group" for Helios. Answering the question about old airplanes? Yes, it is a "thing' , alot like the odd woodenboat guys!. But to be fair I think the old, even antique airplanes get more scrutiny than our old boats but that's mostly because our boats are less likely to fall out of the sky. Just sayin.

This turned up on my phone just now:

https://www.flyingmag.com/new-owner-joy-beechcraft/
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT