Thread: Name this 20 ft boat

Default Name this 15 1/2 ft boat

Requesting ID of this 20 ft * it is 15 ' 6" long boat from the Brain Trust . ( not sure where I got the idea it was 20 ft )

fast 20 ft.jpg
    Last edited by Three Cedars; 02-11-2022 at 06:02 AM.

Default Re: Name this 20 ft boat

ArRow

Is what I want to call it by it’s looks and how you make it go.
    It is lovely.
    Last edited by Matt young; 01-21-2022 at 08:47 AM.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    ArRow

Is what I want to call it by it’s looks and how you make it go.
    It is lovely.
    Good one

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

it looks unreal
    one rowing station married to a full length trim seat

"Slider"
    "So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby

I might be wrong, but I think WBF member John B posted a picture of that boat in the epic "first boating weekend of the season" thread:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-of-the-season

When I have some time I'll skim through and see if I can find it, but a PM might get a swift answer.

Yep, its John B's "Stripper". Thread on it somewhere, think it was a garage sale find or some such.

took some looking to find the history of John B's "new stripper "

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...y-new-stripper

My first thought from the thread title was Esmeralda. That was before I even opened the thread.

great thread on this boat - thanks for posting. Great history and pictorial log by John B. 2009-? boat still working hard?

Late to the party. A wb effer started referring to it as 'The fabulous stripper' and so it was named. It's not 20 ft, maybe 15, I forget.
    I haven't floated it this year, usually I do.
    I have met the guy who designed it, he said it was inspired by a Garden he saw in the magazine at some stage, interpreted and converted it to strip. They were teaching hulls at the local tech/ boatbuilding school which is why there's some redundancy in the build, the ribs aren't really needed but considering the miles and hard use, they help. Typically a class would build one and at the end one of the students would win the boat in a lottery.
    Example: 30 knot gusts at Great Barrier island, we're walking on the beach, look behind and there's the stripper including outboard being rolled 360 down the sand by the wind. Happy about the ribs.
    Happened another day too. No particular evidence of the event showing on the hull.
    And there was that time we did 15 knots down a wave in Riada in a whiteout gale and rainstorm. Coincidentally, the stripper did also, roughly 20 ft behind.
    Where it nearly went wrong was when the 100 odd kg of rainwater that had acummulated in her free surfaced forward on the surf, she dug her chin in and tried to catch up and sheer into our transom. Could have lost her that day, a memorable and difficult enough sail as it was. Having to get creative , look behind and steer the transom away from our wannabe guest just added to it. That was a genuine ,documented 40 knot plus day, shredding down the coast of Great Barrier island.

Anyway, a hard used little boat, been a good purchase and a lot of fun.

A snap from 2018, we'd just towed it 120 miles up the coast and settled in for the evening. .
    20181216_205652.jpg
    More rowlocks (Bruce), centre case and 3 mast steps added since that first pic up the top.
    Last edited by John B; 02-10-2022 at 02:51 PM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Wow it's amazing that you can tow her around !
    All i can imagine is a torpedo chasing the vessel !

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Wow it's amazing that you can tow her around !
    All i can imagine is a torpedo chasing the vessel !
    In all the years and thousands of miles towing there were only two close calls. One I related above and that was caused by torrential rain the self bailer couldn't keep up with.
    The other was in big cross seas and 25 or 30 knots. We'd just left Great Barrier Island for a 40 mile trip heading towards home , Riada was in her groove and doing 9. I looked behind and noticed that as we crested waves, the breeze would hit the stripper side on and caused her to lift a side. I started to imagine her rolling.
    We turned around and hopped into shelter to re configure the tow to major risk mode. I always tow with 2 painters (which mitigates yaw) we added all our solar showers to her for weight and tied a bight of old mizzen sheet to the stern painter for a drogue. That settled her down and it was an uneventful trip.
    I would have set the painter length long too, often did that depending on conditions.
    For years we also had a set up with funnels threaded on the painters. If the boat surfed up the painter would go slack and pull the funnel around to cause it to catch water instead of shed it. That worked too.
    Last edited by John B; 02-10-2022 at 02:54 PM.