Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Review of our new 2022 Tesla Model 3 AWD Long Range

Default Re: My Review of our new 2022 Tesla Model 3 AWD Long Range

Lee, after the first week I went back to driving like a grandma like I always do The only time I punch it now is if I have someone whoís never been in a Tesla and let them experience the instant torque The reaction and giggle is priceless. Iíve been getting pretty good range. Oh and hills are basically almost flat when you factor in the regenerative braking.

Iíve had two over the air upgrades and I have no idea what they did I do know if I pay $2,000 over the app on the phone I can increase my 0-60 time by 0.5 second without ever touching the car. I obviously did not click that button
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I am envious. It sounds like a spaceship. Today I drove my sil ‘97 F250 7.3 l turbodiesel dinosaur about 90 miles. It has two tanks. My EV for the last few months is an electric motor attached to a bicycle. Haven’t tried it out for a ride to town yet which is only ten miles but it’s been great on the hills here.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I am envious. It sounds like a spaceship. Today I drove my sil ‘97 F250 7.3 l turbodiesel dinosaur about 90 miles. It has two tanks. My EV for the last few months is an electric motor attached to a bicycle. Haven’t tried it out for a ride to town yet which is only ten miles but it’s been great on the hills here.
    Totally, I had to drive up county and then back on the the 405 in stop and go rush our traffic and even though I don't have the full $10K autonomous driving upgrade ( again another little button on the phone app ) I do have the lane keeping auto steering adaptive cruise controle. Lee, let me tell you DUDE !!! Thats a game changer in stop & go bumper to bumper traffic. It auto steers and keeps you in the lane a few car lengths away from the car in front of you. When, like in SoCal for no reason the traffic speeds up to 60 mph and then down to 5mph crawl it just does it all seamlessly while you rest your hand on the wheel and listen to podcasts or hands free calls. It's a freaking spaceship.

​o,o,o.

Joe, I'm curious about the Tesla supercharger technology. Knowing nothing about it, I'm tempted to think it's harder on the batteries than the slower charging technology and may lead to shorter battery life. Is there any information on that?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I think thats a great question for sonofswen. I would be interested to know myself

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Joe, I'm curious about the Tesla supercharger technology. Knowing nothing about it, I'm tempted to think it's harder on the batteries than the slower charging technology and may lead to shorter battery life. Is there any information on that?
    Lots of questions about that: I believe that fast charging in combination with preheating the battery ( automatically happens when you use the map and schedule a stop at a Supercharger )is fine. Abuse, meaning multiple charging without almost imediate use may/will cause degredation. I personally know people who have Supercharged for years without problems. Also, if your battery is bellow %70 usable battery within 8 years, Tesla will replace it. ( I don't know anything about this personally, only that it is the original warranty)
    Note: any charging at %100 will be detrimental to the battery if not used in a short period of time. Usually, and recommended max rate to charge to is %80. Some people go to %90, I have not seen long term studies on that.
    Also, letting the battery drop under %20 percent before charging on a constatant basis may lead to some loss of battery capicaty. Lots of discussions on this topic on the Tesla Motors Club site as well as Tesla Owners Online. Tesla recommends keeping battery between %20 and %80 .

https://www.greencarfuture.com/elect...a-battery-life

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...3#post-5390610
    Last edited by sonofswen; 01-20-2022 at 11:57 AM.

So, for daily use and slower home charging, keep the battery between 20% and 80%, but on less-frequent long-distance drives you can supercharge to 100% and hit the road?

That sounds quite practical.

Can you set the charge to 80%, or do you need to time it?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Is this the schlubby, blue Tesla that hasnít even had a portrait drawn of it?

Sounds pedestrian in the extreme.

Smiley?

"Can you set the charge to 80%, or do you need to time it?" Set it on the screen in the car or on your phone to any amount you want.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofswen View Post
    "Can you set the charge to 80%, or do you need to time it?" Set it on the screen in the car or on your phone to any amount you want.
    This is pretty cool!

To be clear, when I said scheduling for Superchargers, you first go to navigation and find the Supercharger you want. Once that is done, the pre-heating for the battery pack is started and takes maybe 15 to 20 minutes to warm the battery up. So its' up to the driver to guesstimate how long it will take to get there. If it's a warm day or a not so warm day, the system in the car will figure out how much heat is need for the best charge.( it's schocking to the batteries to not pre heat, pun intended ) In bold letters it says Battery is now preheating.(see below)
    I haven't Supercharged much...3 times in 5 months, and I have about 700 miles of free charging left. Came with my car..but Tesla does not, to my best of knowledge, give free charging miles out...unless you get someone to buy one of their Solar Packages for a house.

And then, just to confuse the driver??...Tesla says..The battery heater will be on whenever your battery is not at a suitable temperature, then turn off after a while. If your trips are short or the battery is very cold, the battery will be heating whenever you drive.

In cold weather it will heat the battery all the time...does this cut down on range? I have heard maybe %5. All heating is done with a heatpump, HVAC...extracting heat from the air.

Last edited by sonofswen; 01-20-2022 at 04:47 PM.

And then, just to confuse the driver??...Tesla says..The battery heater will be on whenever your battery is not at a suitable temperature, then turn off after a while. If your trips are short or the battery is very cold, the battery will be heating whenever you drive.
    This raises the question of whether one should "warm up the engine" like we used to do with ICE cars? Should we turn it on for 10 min in the garage before going off for a short drive?
    Last edited by CWSmith; 01-20-2022 at 06:13 PM.

To be clear, when I said scheduling for Superchargers, you first go to navigation and find the Supercharger you want. Once that is done, the pre-heating for the battery pack is started and takes maybe 15 to 20 minutes to warm the battery up.
    Almost right.

There is a utube video about a fellow trying to charge his Tesla at a supercharger at 37 below. None of the charges appeared to work. Turns out they were pre-heating the battery while indicating zero charging. The pre-heating does not start when the battery is below 20%.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Almost right.

There is a utube video about a fellow trying to charge his Tesla at a supercharger at 37 below. None of the charges appeared to work. Turns out they were pre-heating the battery while indicating zero charging. The pre-heating does not start when the battery is below 20%.
    You do realize that is an infinitesimally small sample of Tesla owners added to those that let their cars dip below 20% ? I would imagine many ICE vehicles would have the same percentage of problems at that temperature albeit less YouTube videos

I always find it odd whenever I tell any EV or Tesla haters in particular they are so eager to point out all the YouTube videos of them blowing their Tesla’s up, or catching fire, or self driving accident. It’s amazing to me that for a car company that produces such a small amount of cars compared to the big auto companies who obviously have far more recalls, fires and accidents If a Tesla has an issue its all major news. Even my mother-in-law when Renee told her about our new car, the first thing she said is oh they have so many problems, did you hear about the guy that blew his up?

In the end it’s just a car, a kinda cool car but one with 4 wheels a steering wheel and a seat, just like every other car.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    You do realize that is an infinitesimally small sample of Tesla owners added to those that let their cars dip below 20% ? I would imagine many ICE vehicles would have the same percentage of problems at that temperature albeit less YouTube videos

I always find it odd whenever I tell any EV or Tesla haters in particular they are so eager to point out all the YouTube videos of them blowing their Tesla’s up, or catching fire, or self driving accident. It’s amazing to me that for a car company that produces such a small amount of cars compared to the big auto companies who obviously have far more recalls, fires and accidents If a Tesla has an issue its all major news. Even my mother-in-law when Renee told her about our new car, the first thing she said is oh they have so many problems, did you hear about the guy that blew his up?

In the end it’s just a car, a kinda cool car but one with 4 wheels a steering wheel and a seat, just like every other car.
    But for many, it'll never get rid of the musk odor...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    But for many, it'll never get rid of the musk odor...
    Hey I get it, not a huge fan. Brilliant visionary and able to leap tall ideas in a single thought, and makes a really innovative car. But as a person he’s a bit of a douche and I fully admit that. I hear Ford and Edison were the same kind of douche. Yet you don’t hear people talking about how bad their Ford F-150 or bitch and post a YouTube video when a lightbulb burns out.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 01-20-2022 at 06:12 PM.

Hey I get it, not a huge fan. Brilliant visionary and able to leap tall ideas in a single thought, and makes a really innovative car. But as a person he’s a bit of a douche and I fully admit that.
    He is able to poke fun at himself very effectively. His appearances on Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon have been very funny.

"The pre-heating does not start when the battery is below 20%." Well, that is strange...my car was at %14 this morning and the preheating was working as I was on my way to a Supercharger....

as far as Musk odor...been thinking about a bumper sticker along the lines "love the car, not the CEO" or?? but I don't need any damn virtuesignaling!
    ( "I don't need no stinking badges") thing...

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery

Healthhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/master-thread-range-loss-over-time-what-can-be-expected-efficiency-how-to-maintain-battery-health.166549/

Last edited by sonofswen; 01-20-2022 at 06:41 PM.

Hey I get it, not a huge fan. Brilliant visionary and able to leap tall ideas in a single thought, and makes a really innovative car. But as a person he’s a bit of a douche and I fully admit that. I hear Ford and Edison were the same kind of douche. Yet you don’t hear people talking about how bad their Ford F-150 or bitch and post a YouTube video when a lightbulb burns out.
    Sorry - I was making a joke - intending it to make fun of the haters. While I'm not a fan of how he acts, I am truly impressed with what he's done. I am not one of the Musk haters by any means!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Michigan usually has the highest insurance rates in the country. Lawyers and insurance companies wrote the insurance bill.
    When Auto Owners refused to insure our Michigan registered car domiciled in Florida I found out Florida actually a bit more expensive for comparable coverage. Also over $400 in fees to register and get a Florida title. That did not include sales tax as we already owned the car.
    If you don't know where you're going, you might not end up there.-Yogi Berra

I realize that. I was simply relating a possible issue. One that might be considered user caused. One that might be solved by a software update.
    Life is complex.

I realize that. I was simply relating a possible issue. One that might be considered user caused. One that might be solved by a software update.
    Agreed, that said I've already had 2 over the air updates and I have no idea what they did. I don't see any difference. I think they had to do with the fully self driving software, which I don't have. I can't see paying $10,000 ( now I think its $12,000 extra ). If I want to try it I can subscribe for $199 a month to month.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    When you can get good ol motorhead boys to whoop and laugh at instant torque you know you're on to something.

Paying $800 a year for full insurance and $320 for 2 years auto registration, Oregon.
    The gate is now closed coming into the state. ( no sales tax here, but that may change as the population has and is growing )
    Last edited by sonofswen; 01-23-2022 at 12:24 PM.

Agreed, that said I've already had 2 over the air updates and I have no idea what they did. I don't see any difference. I think they had to do with the fully self driving software, which I don't have. I can't see paying $10,000 ( now I think its $12,000 extra ). If I want to try it I can subscribe for $199 a month to month.
    Differences from last OTA and a lot of people don't like it. It's not bothering me.
    >a whole lot of discussion here https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre.../#post-6334625

P.S. Not ever doing FSD and why on earth would I pay $2K to go faster? Right now it's 4.2 to 60
    Last edited by sonofswen; 01-23-2022 at 12:29 PM.

Paying $800 a year for full insurance and $320 for 2 years auto registration, Oregon.
    The gate is now closed coming into the state.
    I take it Oregon doesn't mandate unlimited P&I coverage.

I always find it odd whenever I tell any EV or Tesla haters in particular they are so eager to point out all the YouTube videos of them blowing their Teslaís up, or catching fire, or self driving accident. Itís amazing to me that for a car company that produces such a small amount of cars compared to the big auto companies who obviously have far more recalls, fires and accidents If a Tesla has an issue its all major news. Even my mother-in-law when Renee told her about our new car, the first thing she said is oh they have so many problems, did you hear about the guy that blew his up?

In the end itís just a car, a kinda cool car but one with 4 wheels a steering wheel and a seat, just like every other car.
    Car systems are routinely tested at temperatures ranging from -20 F to +120 F. That's the range of temperatures routinely encountered in the U.S. in various parts of the country. It will be about -7F. next week around here, -15 F in Wisconsin. Self-driving is something that is starting to look as if it will never happen; will likely become a major liability problem, worse than the gas tank issues in the 1990s.

Self-driving is something that is starting to look as if it will never happen; will likely become a major liability problem, worse than the gas tank issues in the 1990s.
    I’d be surprised if this is true. Any kind of functional failure in an automobile is a liability concern—and at some point it doesn’t matter if it’s a bad brake caliper, a sticky throttle, or an airbag going off for no reason. All of those things have happened, and have caused injuries, fatalities and property damage in the past.

Jeff C

All the videos I've seen with real world extreme cold test on newer Tesla's show about a 28% loss of range no where near the sky is falling 60% Tesla's haters site.

This guy gives a pretty comprehensive long extreme cold road trip

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    I’d be surprised if this is true. Any kind of functional failure in an automobile is a liability concern—and at some point it doesn’t matter if it’s a bad brake caliper, a sticky throttle, or an airbag going off for no reason. All of those things have happened, and have caused injuries, fatalities and property damage in the past.

Jeff C
    So I don't have FSD ( Full Self Driving ) But it does come with full lane assist self steering, and adaptive cruise controle. So essentially you click the right stalk down once and it's active cruise controle, it will keep your speed and if a car is in front of you you can set the distance and it will keep that. If the car slows down or sudden stops it will keep that same distance and slow down and stop. Which is great in stop and go traffic. If you pull the right stalk down twice it will take over steering and keep you in your lane as well as all the other adaptive cruse controle. It does add slowing down into an apex of curve which is frightening f you don't believe it's gonna slow down. Oh and of course you have to keep you have to keep you hands on the wheel and squeeze every 30 sec to show you are alive and paying attention. Interesting they sell devises that put a little weight on the steering wheel so you can be 100% hands off. Needless to say I will NEVER be getting one of them.

That said I've had several computer glitches with running this semi self driving. On new roads like the brand new extension to the 245 toll road it hasn't gotten the speed limit data so you are cruising at 70 ( posted 65 mph ) and you pass the line where the new section begins and it slows way down to 45 mph which can be very scary. Another time they were doing construction so there were multiple old white lines intersecting with new painted white lines and it got confused and started to drift into lanes. Lastly sometimes it just acts weird for no reason which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

All that said in stop and go traffic or on long stretches of proper highway it is flawless and makes long trips way less work. I won't be getting FSD anytime soon. Active cruise controle works flawlessly 100% of the time and you get to maintain full controle of steering.

Oh and I forgot to add the extra Easter Egg. If you pull the right stalk down tree times it goes into rainbow road mode. The road you are driving on the screen turns into a rainbow and this is the best part, SNL's Blue Oyster Cult parody starts playing complete with Christopher Walken's more Cowbell skit. I mean come on there is a lot of fun in this car.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 01-23-2022 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post

Jeff C
    Components failures are basically warranty issues. The problem with self-driving is that it introduces a new issue--who is responsible for the control of a vehicle on the road? Today, it is the driver. If the car is self-driving, is it the company that sells it? And if so, for how long? This is a new legal landscape.

I take it Oregon doesn't mandate unlimited P&I coverage.
    Minimum Insurance Requirements

In Oregon, it is illegal to drive without liability coverage. See ORS 806.010.
    The minimum insurance a driver must have is:

• Bodily injury and property damage liability
      • $25,000 per person;
      • $50,000 per crash for bodily injury to others; and
      • $20,000 per crash for damage to others’ property.

• Personal injury protection
      • $15,000 per person.

• Uninsured motorist
      • $25,000 per person; and
      • $50,000 per crash for bodily injury.

I have Bodily Injury&Property Damage Liability:$1000/$300,000 each accident/$1000,each accident
    Peersonal Injury Protection: $15000
    Uninsured Motorist Proberty Damage: $25000 each accident or $300 deductible for hit and run
    Comprehensive:$1000 deductible
    Collision: $1000 deductible
    Rental reimbursemant $40 ech day, max 30 days

Full year cost> $862
    Last edited by sonofswen; 01-23-2022 at 03:37 PM.

Almost right.

No, it does start:
    Battery pre-heat/conditioning (Coolant heater) only now starts after you engage the car in Drive
    Use Navigation in Your Car
    Prepare your car for Supercharging by navigating to your destination, even if you know your route. When you enter a destination into your navigation in cold weather conditions and Supercharging is needed, your car will automatically begin to preheat your battery before arriving at a Supercharger to reduce charging time. Depending on the ambient temperature, and whether Preconditioning was used prior to departure, pre-heating the battery may take 45 minutes, or more.

Sometimes people pull into a Supercharger with a state of charge under %20, which may be detrimental to long term battery health..but debatable. If under that SOC, the battery will still heat up as part of preconditioning.
    Last edited by sonofswen; 01-23-2022 at 04:20 PM.