Thread: Round thimbles

Default Round thimbles

Anybody know of a source of small round thimbles for making rope stropped blocks ?
    The smaller sizes 1/4" or 3/8"
    Brass or galvanized

Preferably in Canada/Vancouver BC but anywhere where buying a dozen doesn't cost twice as much due to shipping

Thought I'd see if anyone knew of a source

Default Re: Round thimbles

https://www.tylaska.com/product-cate...ware/ferrules/

There are lots of ‘em in aluminum.

Hmm I've seen those in a local marine store, besides the modern anodized look, they also were very pricey, I think $8-15 each. somewhere in that range.

The brass thimbles I found in the US (and I'd rather find somewhere local and skip shipping if possible) were about $2 each but would double in price with shipping which I guess one should expect but somehow it irks me.
    I tired making copper ones with a pair of ball pean hammers and I have produced 4 lumpy but serviceable ones, but I also produced easily twice that number of mangled monstrosities.. Maybe i'll just cough it up for the brass ones, or buy teardrop ones locally and truncated them a little. i don't like how 'long' they make the block

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

this may be a case of, i saw a picture of big boat gear in a book and think i need to duplicate it on my small boat cuz it looks cool

I've bought them from Sailrite in the smaller sizes. Nowadays I just make them out of copper pipe. After having the same limited success (similar to what you describe) I discovered the secret of tempering the pipe to make it softer. Heat your cut ring cherry red then immediately quench in water. This allows it to be easily formed into thimbles. Forming the thimble will work-harden it a bit.

https://www.sailrite.com/All-Hardwar.../Sail-Thimbles
    - Anything you can't have fun with is not worth taking seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by gazzer View Post
    …I discovered the secret of tempering the pipe to make it softer. Heat your cut ring cherry red then immediately quench in water. This allows it to be easily formed into thimbles. Forming the thimble will work-harden it a bit.
    Copper & its alloys don’t need quenching after annealing unless you want to avoid having to wait ‘till workpieces cool before continuing work. And they will work-harden as you form new shapes so repeated annealing might be worthwhile to avoid cracking if you’re really pushing the stuff around with tools.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    this may be a case of, i saw a picture of big boat gear in a book and think i need to duplicate it on my small boat cuz it looks cool
    Well not exactly, I have seen little wooden blocks on small boats, they're beautiful. Besides I love to make new things, which I think is a perfectly good use of time, better than TV, which I don't watch or have anyway, it's a nice hands on break from the nebulous world of songwriting, but otherwise, yes indeed, because it looks &#$##$& cool. why not!

I really like the thimble idea using ball bearings. more control than a pair of ball pean hammers and looks like it works well. Now to source ball bearings!

Quote Originally Posted by Toxophilite View Post
    Now to source ball bearings!
    https://www.mcmaster.com/Balls

First place I look for stuff like this!
    We must understand that we are borrowed stardust, bound to be returned to the universe that made it.

This could be done with SS tube as well.
    Bronze pipe....
    Anything really?
    West VA Ivory..?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxophilite View Post
    Anybody know of a source of small round thimbles for making rope stropped blocks ?
    The smaller sizes 1/4" or 3/8"
    Brass or galvanized

Preferably in Canada/Vancouver BC but anywhere where buying a dozen doesn't cost twice as much due to shipping

Thought I'd see if anyone knew of a source
    I don't know about Canada?
    But we (USA) have a source called on-line metals, they have brass tube by the foot.
    If you're fond of the ball bearing idea sported earlier, you could make a bucket full.
    If I were to attempt this...(and I may just for ****z & Giggles) I'd think about squeezing them in a press, or vise?
    Things of this nature are usually manufactured in bulk at a high rate of speed.
    So, if your blanks are cut, annealed and debured ahead of time, smashing them between 2 bearings (aka forming dies) should be an easy task.
    Previous comments on work hardening ring true with my experience....
    With one exception, quenching your red hot rings will make them softer than not quenching.
    The "Depth" of anneal (or softening) is directly related to the quench.
    Not quenching (air cooling) will still anneal but not as soft as quenching in water.

Downingtown Pa (S/V NIrvana down in Rock Hall, Md)

These are very easy to make in copper. I also made a thimble die years ago for a gentleman in North Carolina who rebuilt an engineless Cape Dory 36. He used the die to make thimbles out of red brass pipe nipples.
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche