Thread: Ideas for sun shades for open boats?

Default Ideas for sun shades for open boats?

I'm wondering if people can post things they have done as sun coverings for small, open boats. The one I'm building is just a hair under 16ft -- I had vague ideas of rigging a collapsible cuddy-like construction out of tarp and other materials that would go across the front bit of the boat -- from the mast back a few feet, under the boom. The boat in question (some parts still under construction) is here:

Here's a closer look -- thinking mostly of covering the couple feet between the frame that supports the centerboard case and the bow tank:

The main purpose would be to provide somewhere to get out of the sun for people (in particular, small children) who are not actively involved in sailing the boat!
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.

Default Re: Ideas for sun shades for open boats?

look at cheap biminis on ebay
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

https://www.boatcoversdirect.com/pro...at%20Tops-SKAG

if you go to this web site enter a boat manufacturer and model name that is similar to your boat you can see what that specific top is like

I used to carry an umbrella when racing in Florida during the summer. I think there is an old seafaring superstition about this causing bad luck however :-)
    When the last tree is cut
    When the last river is dry
    When the last fish is caught
    Only then will Man realize that he cannot eat money.

A hat? (Simple can be best).

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

"A man cannot be said to succeed in this life who does not satisfy one friend."Henry David Thoreau: Journal, 19 February 1857

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post

Tom
    This is probably the right answer, but for some time invested and not much cost I have been making biminis, dodgers and tents using bows laminated from thin wood, standard bimini fittings and rods made from dowels and canvas/phenolic tubes. Some pictures in Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ricks_...57654556257852

Small Boats Monthly Editor Chris Cunningham shared some great ideas in the Dec 2021 issue: https://smallboatsmonthly.com/articl...e-in-the-rain/
    Cheers
    Kent and Skipper
    Small Boat Restoration blog

My boat is not open like yours; however, I also needed sun protection for sailing on the Sacramento-San Joaquine Delta during the Summer. This photo shows the awning I made.

0-B. Important addition.jpg

It is suspended from the peak halyard, which I transfer to a harness that supports the awning's ridge pole. Notice that there are two additional lateral poles that give the awning its breadth. The awning itself is made of Sunbrella. I bought a roll of this wonderful fabric several years ago, back before it became so expensive. The poles are generic 1/2 inch tentpoles purchased on the Internet. They have a bungee core and break down in typical fashion.

Let me know if you would like more details. I could send you some crude sketches.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post

Tom
    That certainly had been my plan -- and still is my plan for myself, and probably any adults. I have a 2 year old though, and while he'll certainly be wearing a hat, him having a more comfortable place to get out of the sun would be nice (but, as a result, it doesn't need to be particularly large! And also, doesn't need to handle high wind / rough weather -- as he'll really only be going out on nice days on well protected waters).

I hadn't thought of this at all until taking the boat out rowing -- I had no masts yet, and so stuck a beach umbrella where the mizzen mast goes (the main mast step wasn't installed) -- aside from not being very well balanced (too much weight in the rear), it was surprisingly nice, hence starting to think about a more principled version of this:
    IMG_8606.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, all. And I hadn't thought of looking for similar-ish production production boats -- that's a good idea.
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.