Thread: CA glues - a primer

Default CA glues - a primer

Cyanoacrylare adhesives are nifty in a lot of ways. Here's a short video on some basics --

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/disc...,12VZDA,GWQL,1
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: CA glues - a primer

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Many production fiberglass boats no longer bolt, screw or fiberglass the hull and deck together. Instead, they use a CA adhesive.
    Going this route requires that builder have excellent, precise tooling. The glue can't be used to pull ill-fitting parts together the way fasteners can.

Kevin

I knew they were acrylic based but didn't now there was CA in the chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Many production fiberglass boats no longer bolt, screw or fiberglass the hull and deck together. Instead, they use a CA adhesive.
    Going this route requires that builder have excellent, precise tooling. The glue can't be used to pull ill-fitting parts together the way fasteners can.

Kevin
    I think that the folks who are using CA adhesives for structural bonding are using the two-part goops in 400 ml. Siamese tubes like Plexus 310.

I’ve used to to stick a polycarbonate sail track to a carbon spar. It worked well.
    Last edited by JimConlin; 01-14-2022 at 08:49 PM.

Jim and John, you are both right. It is METHACRYLATE, not cyanacrolyte, I was thinking of. I am going to delete my post.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Boy howdy do those two-part methacrylate products stink. Use proper PPE when exposed or you’re gonna regret it!

The Lee Valley website recommends Starbond products.
    This is what I used for my project. EM02 viscosity is like water.
    I used it for finishing the wood inserts on my CZ pistol.
    They are very thin and can crack, from firing.
    The CA not only finishes, but penetrates the wood and strengthens it.
    i discovered it's "finishing" use in wood pen maker forums.
    https://starbond.com/blogs/tutorials...olt-action-pen
    Note: It can be applied with your finger, but use a nitrile glove.
    Your body moisture accelerates curing.

CA glue is not uv tolerant.

Jeff

rather than using the "applicator tip" that comes with the glue..I've found disposable transfer pipetts work a "charm".. once a crust is allowed to form on the tip, the contents, rapidly go south

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Cyanoacrylare adhesives are nifty in a lot of ways. Here's a short video on some basics --

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/disc...,12VZDA,GWQL,1

Not really much on the basics of the glue as a brief description of the different types. That said, thanks for posting this - I am a big fan of CA glue's - I've used them for various things in the past 3-4 years. In the past if I was making a jig or a mold, I would use a hot glue gun to assemble it - now I use CA glue with the accelerator - much quicker and easier. The only down side is if it is a temporary jig that I will be taking apart - then the glue gun is better because I can use a heat gun to quickly disassemble.

It is also great around the house for quick fixes - especially where clamping is impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    Not really much on the basics of the glue as a brief description of the different types. That said, thanks for posting this - I am a big fan of CA glue's - I've used them for various things in the past 3-4 years. In the past if I was making a jig or a mold, I would use a hot glue gun to assemble it - now I use CA glue with the accelerator - much quicker and easier. The only down side is if it is a temporary jig that I will be taking apart - then the glue gun is better because I can use a heat gun to quickly disassemble.

It is also great around the house for quick fixes - especially where clamping is impractical.
    For those who want a deeper dive --

https://www.cyberbond.de/wp-content/...ap04_ca_gb.pdf
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    CA glue is not uv tolerant.

Jeff
    I have never heard that, and am a bit skeptical. Tell us more...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by JOBBER View Post
    The Lee Valley website recommends Starbond products.
    This is what I used for my project. EM02 viscosity is like water.
    I used it for finishing the wood inserts on my CZ pistol.
    They are very thin and can crack, from firing.
    The CA not only finishes, but penetrates the wood and strengthens it.
    i discovered it's "finishing" use in wood pen maker forums.
    https://starbond.com/blogs/tutorials...olt-action-pen
    Note: It can be applied with your finger, but use a nitrile glove.
    Your body moisture accelerates curing.
    Never tried the Starbond, though a couple of trusted suppliers carry it.

Here's the FastCap type I use. I keep the kit in the shop refrigerator, and am amazed at how long it lasts --

https://www.fastcap.com/product/2p-10-kit
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I have never heard that, and am a bit skeptical. Tell us more...

I made a small sculpture once that was comprised entirely of smallish pieces of 1/8" thick glass. I glued the pieces together with CA glue. The piece was on display in a gallery right near the large front window. Southern exposure. It completely fell apart within a few weeks. I presumed then and still think it was due to uv degradation because I've glued other glass bits together using CA that don't get exposed to sunlight and they are still sound. Anecdotal evidence, I realize. Still....

Jeff

I made a small sculpture once that was comprised entirely of smallish pieces of 1/8" thick glass. I glued the pieces together with CA glue. The piece was on display in a gallery right near the large front window. Southern exposure. It completely fell apart within a few weeks. I presumed then and still think it was due to uv degradation because I've glued other glass bits together using CA that don't get exposed to sunlight and they are still sound. Anecdotal evidence, I realize. Still....

Jeff
    I glued 2 pieces of wood together using CA glue 3 years ago to make a bracket for an outdoor floodlight. 3 years later and everything has stayed together nicely. I know CA glue likes at least one of the two objects to be porous could that have been the problem?. I've glued glass with CA glue and have had limited success - they were not in the sunlight. Again, both pieces were non-porous.
    Last edited by Boatbum; 01-19-2022 at 08:55 AM.

For those who want a deeper dive --

https://www.cyberbond.de/wp-content/...ap04_ca_gb.pdf
    Very interesting, but I was thinking more about the practical tips, techniques and applications. You know, like what the Gougeon Bros do with epoxy.

I have not tried it yet but I have seen some videos of people using CA with a wood glue like titebond at the same time for quick bonding and long term strength. anybody done this?

I glued 2 pieces of wood together using CA glue 3 years ago to make a bracket for an outdoor floodlight. 3 years later and everything has stayed together nicely. I know CA glue likes at least one of the two objects to be porous could that have been the problem?. I've glued glass with CA glue and have had limited success - they were not in the sunlight. Again, both pieces were non-porous.

Maybe. All I know is that the stuff doesn't work long term on glass. Because of the location to a lot of sunlight I presumed UV damage. Also because I too have glued glass to metal in other applications and didn't suffer such failure.

Since that project I've located and used glues that are intended to glue glass. This stuff sets with UV light.

Jeff

We all know that CA glue can stick your fingers together. When I lived in Alaska, wintertime humidity was virtually non-existent and as a consequence, my fingers split something horrible. CA glue was my friend then. I'd use it to seal the painful cracks in the skin on my hands. I read somewhere that the hobby type CA is the same as the docs use after surgery... just not as sanitized.

Jeff

Maybe. All I know is that the stuff doesn't work long term on glass. Because of the location to a lot of sunlight I presumed UV damage. Also because I too have glued glass to metal in other applications and didn't suffer such failure.

Since that project I've located and used glues that are intended to glue glass. This stuff sets with UV light.

Jeff
    I do not believe that it was the sunlight. Maybe in the light it became warm and there was some sort of differential expansion between the pieces. I have seen no evidence of adhesive degradation in sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by gray duck View Post
    I have not tried it yet but I have seen some videos of people using CA with a wood glue like titebond at the same time for quick bonding and long term strength. anybody done this?
    This is a trick I've used for many years. If you have a joint that will be hard to clamp in place long enough for your main glue to dry/cure... one can 'spot-weld' it with dabs of either CA or hot-melt.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

This is a trick I've used for many years. If you have a joint that will be hard to clamp in place long enough for your main glue to dry/cure... one can 'spot-weld' it with dabs of either CA or hot-melt.
    But don't most traditional wood glues require solid clamping? Wood glue has good adhesion but poor cohesion.

But don't most traditional wood glues require solid clamping? Wood glue has good adhesion but poor cohesion.
    Correct. One has to now the properties of the adhesives used as 'main' adhesives in that scenario. Two that work are thickened epoxy, and thickened polyurethanes (like PL Premium). Slow cure, but good gap-filling and low clamping pressures. You wouldn't want to attempt it with resorcinol, for instance. Or even PVA.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

thanks for tips