Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The flying Baroudeur

beneteau-baroudeur-sport-mk1-69613030170257485248525051534570g.jpg

Baroudeur

"Adventurer" in french

D/L: 300
    LWL: 19,19 feet

Hull speed in real world: 5 Knots = Froude 0.35 = 1.16 SLR x Squared Root 19,19

Carene potential speed: 6 Knots = 1.4 SLR = 8.26 / (D/L)^0.311

This humble old boat in the hands of a retired merchant navy radio operator made a remarkable sail to the Canary Islands in winter

http://m.navegar-es-preciso.com/news...la-graciosa-9/

first made planing/surfing of 9-10 knots of speed down the waves, then reached 12-14 knots of speed down the Waves and at the end reached 20-22 knots (!!!) down a big wave, and did it in a controlled manner ... controlled by a little/crude automatic pilot

I have always defended what we can call the "classic (hydrodynamic) solution", but this case has left me wondering

It seems to me that it is clear that the Resistance Curves are a concept born in large ships like the Royal Navy destroyers at the beginning of the last century, and the HydroDynamics of the small sailboat going down a wave must be thought of in a different way

Default Re: The flying Baroudeur

But that's not the end of it, two years after this striking sailing in an old and humble 6 k Euros boat ... sailed a naval architect in his shiny, modern and loaded with the latest fashions reigning in the market ... toy of 600 thousand Euros ... and the behavior of the sailboat was despicable

I can imagine Tomas H. Butler and Ed Burnett and all the supporters of the classic Carene/Hull having a good laugh

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

a burst of speed on a gps does not equate to 2 or 3 hundred miles a day

OMFG

What a depressing and silly comment

---

You have failed to add that ... no one comes after the last one, and the pipes are hollow inside
    Last edited by Juan; 01-06-2022 at 03:14 PM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

yea thats what i forgot to say, you betcha

Southampton Wave Tank

Andrew Claughton

Andrew in his 1984 research was very surprised at how well the classic sailboats surfed in a controlled manner.

How is it possible for a 300 D/L hull to descend a wave towards the center of the earth by gliding-surfing in a controlled manner without capsizing

Half of the point is (B) that a really successful classic hull (such as those of Thomas H. Butler) has a very low Yaw-Turn Moment, yes, but this is only half an explanation.

My suspicion is (A) that a good part of the Resistance to the Advance by Wave formation from Froude 0.35-40 and around Froude 0.5 is due to the Attitude of the Hull, stern down and bow up; but precisely this is the ideal Attitude to surf down a Wave: the Low relative pressure created by the curvature of the stern (rocker) and a small stern that was not resisted from a hydroStatic point of view ... that could be the explanation.

Last edited by Juan; 01-07-2022 at 08:05 AM.