Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheeled bases for power tools?

Default Wheeled bases for power tools?

Hitting the fount of all knowledge again. In my new shop, I'll need the table & band saws mobile. All the bases I find online seem to have issues with not sitting level with the wheels up, cheap plastic wheel levers that break, crummy casters, etc. True, the 1 star reviews are the minority - but before spending ~ $80-100 each, I'd like to know I'm getting good ones. Both saws (Jet 14" bandsaw & Delta nothing fancy table saw) are under 300 lbs.

Thoughts/experience? Thanks!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Default Re: Wheeled bases for power tools?

I made an excellent one for my table saw using a set of nice casters (2 swivel, 2 fixed) from Harbor Freight mounted on a stout oak pallet I made from scratch using quality lumber. There are a pair of leveling screws beside the front swivel casters which serve make up for my uneven garage floor and to elevate the swivels off the floor once it's in position. It's a 10" saw with extensions on each side and a 2hp motor; not something one wants to lift in order to move.

I've just put my 12" bandsaw, 330mm thicknesser and wadkin table saw on mobile bases...

I can't say if these are available in the USA, but most things are going to be remarketed probably by someone.

I bought a strong adjustable mobile base (Axminster - 100) then bought a (quite cheap) workstand that fits inside (Rutlands - 40). On the bottom of the mobile base is a plywood sheet (15mm) and I used plywood for the top to bolt the bandsaw and thicknesser. There's also a plywood shelf mid way. The bottom bolts the stand through the ply through the metal base.

So...I have a saw station and a planing station. All the saw stuff, blades, fences, circular saw and panel saws or there depending on what I want to pick up. On the thicknesser I intend to have all my planing stuff. I want to build a drilling station for my pillar drill, all my hand drills and stuff plus a heavy metal vice next summer when the boats out.

The bases mobility is restricted by having two mobile and two fixed castors so the bases sit accross the direction of push with a piece of wood, besides when the foot down the front castors are off the ground. They seem stable enough and the work stands are adjustable for height. I find most stuff too low and I have my bandsaw table at around 115-120cm I think from the floor.

I have typical UK garage so getting machinery out is necessary really for me to get in. The LPHV extractor is on a wheeled base and that can journey out also.

I pleased with it...it's progress...what could be better...well the stands have a plastic click on fitting on each leg that gets bolted down, I'd rather the metal had a 90 bend and a hole to bolt it through for more security. I think some do some don't depending what china's making. Also wheeling it out onto the drive, as the front wheels start to go downhill over the lip bit, the bolts that lift the base up can beach and I'm playing tug of war for a few cm.

If you get a stand like this (they're pretty generic) beware that if you adjust the height later, it will change the position of the feet holes on the ply sat into the base...so do your figuring first.

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

Don't know why they're rotated.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 12-20-2021 at 04:50 PM.

The Delta bandsaw I bought used came with the Delta base. No idea if it's still available, but it's pretty good. There is sort of an inherent limitation to how good a bandsaw mobile base can be, given how top heavy bandsaws tend to be. I think I have the documentation for it, would be happy to share if it's of any help.

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated. Seems everything has some negative reviews. I realize most are done right after purchasing, but the folks who use the item for a bit & then respond are great. I also understand that some people are idiots, but comments like "saw moves all over on it its not solid in any way" (Jet bandsaw on a Jet base) make me kinda nervous.

Axminster, Delta, & Jet all seem to get some negatives. I see Lee Valley sells HTC, but for 15-20% more than Amazon & they get a lot of 1 & 2 start reviews on Amazon - LV doesn't have reviews.

I have several tools, (bandsaw, table saw, planer) on bases from Grizzly. They work, smooth moving, no issues.

Hmmm... The Grizzly ones look pretty good. One small enough for the bandsaw & another for table saw & Jointer - though I may sell that as I just don't use a 6' joiner much. Same thing for the radial arm saw - more likely to use the cutoff saw.

I've had no issues with one of these HTC bases, but I see that others have. Mine is 6 or 7 years old. Perhaps the newer ones have been cost controlled.
    -Dave

My 17 Grizzly bandsaw has the corresponding Grizzly base. It works well.

My 600# table saw has an HTC base, which is good.

I’ve got some of these Rockler mobile base kits. You can make them any size you want.

https://www.rockler.com/power-tool-mobile-base-hardware

A933D5F5-0741-4971-93B7-93183B23A5E3.jpeg

I fastened a stout oak block 2 -3" H to each corner leg of the machine's stand. Top and bottom faces parallel to the floor, bottom large enough to mount a quality caster, and with additional space for the vertical lifting screw described next. Drill a 15/32" vertical hole in each block and run a 1/2" machine thread tap through the holes. Screws are 1/2" threaded rod length to suit. Double nut at the top. Well lubed at the oak. Move the equipment to where you want it, run the screw down with a socket on your drill to where the bottom of the screws lifts the equipment up off the casters. Works great on level and unlevel floors. Not suitable if you move the equipment around all the time, but worked for me for many years.

All my tools are on wheels, but home brewed stuff, nothing fancy store bought. My table saw is on a setup that is like a wheel barrow, two short handles on one side and two wheels on the other. When it is sitting it is on four legs, so there’s no chance of it scooting around while using it.

this guy made some good ones

https://youtu.be/7TTnb3TyH5Y

In the responses above, you probably notice that nobody thinks locking casters are worth a darn for a power tool. You want to lift it up on casters to move it around and then drop it on it's own solid base to use it. Theatre people need to deal with this all the time: you roll a piece of scenery that represents someone's bedroom onstage and then need it to sit still while dramatic action takes place on it. I am searching for my photos of various gizmos I have used, but until I find them: Simple Mechanical lifts are variations on the commercial things pictured above, a latching lever forces the caster downward, lifting the tool. In theatre we also use "trip jacks": which are good for a thing with a relatively high center of gravity. For instance, a 14" bandsaw or drill press would have two permanent non-swivel wheels at the rear of the base, and then it would have collapsible back legs like those on a refrigerator dolly with swivel casters. Tip it back at a 20 degree angle, the back leg casters come down and the thing ends up with two non-swivel casters and two that swivel. In this and other rigs, buy leveling feet from Grainger, etc for when you stand it up. The next level in theatre tech. is pneumatics: Something underneath where you hit the air pressure, the thing lifts up on a caster frame, you roll it where you want it, and then cut the air. This can be done within the height of a platform made with 2x4 and 3/4 plywood: get those 3-wheel furniture casters from a hardware store with a recessed center meant for moving a sofa, get short throw air cylinders, maybe 1.25" diameter piston and 1" travel, and you can make a 4'x8' platform that will lift a couple hundred pounds with a 90# air line, and when you cut the air, it is totally stable. Want more Rube-Goldberg? get some old fire hose that has a woven exterior and rubber interior. Drill, glue, and clamp the ends of a 4' section using 3/16" bolts and 3/16 x 1" steel bar-stock, fit an air connection, and you can lift tons: If you have 4" x 4' fire hose, you get about 190 square inches, put that between a couple pieces of 2x6, give it 10-15psi and do the math, you really want a good pressure regulator or you will break stuff... I speak from experience.

Ken

I'm making my own bases, but they will roll into a U of bench, so each powertool is secured in use, I think conventional casters will work OK in that situation.. The top of the work area of the power tool will be set the same as the height of the bench, so extending the work area,,
    Under each tool, will be a cupboard / shelves for things that are used on the power tool, plus, where required, ducting for sawdust...
    Just an amateur bodging away..

I'm pretty short of space, especially with my boat inside. What I've done is make my own bases, and set them all at the same working height. It's pretty handy when working with long lengths. Lay it across the tool your using, and the other ends can rest on whatever is to hand. I've got 2 swivel castors with brakes on one side, and 2 fixed castors on the opposite side. The frames are simple 3"or4" x2" and the castors are fixed with 2" coach screws. 20211222_085936.jpg
    Last edited by biglad; 12-22-2021 at 04:29 AM.

About 20 years ago I had a Startrite bandsaw on wheels, One morning i had to take my young son to playschool, it was chucking it down with rain so i decided to drive.
    I had a Morris 1000 pickup truck, opened the passenger door & put Nick in his seat, threw the up & over door up & jumped into the drivers seat.
    Fired the engine up stuck it in gear & rolled out the door quite fast, Behind me there was the most almighty crash & i stopped to shut the garage door.
    To my horror the power cable for the bandsaw which was coiled up hanging on the guide rail on the front of the table had fallen off & got caught on the rear bumper of the truck, I had violently pulled the thing over.
    The bandsaw was laying on its front with its table twisted round by 30 degrees, A great cloud of dust hung in the air.
    I slammed the door shut & took Nick to play school. I did not dare go into the garage for two whole days.
    Fortunately the cast iron table wasnt broken just its steel plate mounts twisted which was quickly fixed. But that machine was never the same again!

The moral of this story is that top heavy machines like bandsaws need a wide wheelbase to be safe!

Never been much on mobile bases but just moved my shop to a smaller space and had to put some machines on bases.

I bought the Bora Portamate Mobile Base Kit PM-1100 and I am impressed... so far. It is just the wheel hardware and you supply a base cut to side.

Put my Unisaw and a 14" bandsaw on them and they roll around very easy. Lock well. Just to my surprise work like they should. I think I will be buying one more.

As others I have built them too. Not hard to do and you can pick your casters. I have my PM-100 planer on it and it works. Casters are not that great but that is my fault. And the base works perfectly and has held up with no issues.
    Jeff
    Kudzu Craft Skin boats
    SoF boat kits, supplies and plans

I have a base from Harbor Freight, less expensive than the others. A small workbench (~ 30" x 42") is mounted on it with a Williams & Hussey molder/planer and accumulated junk. The load is not too heavy, maybe a couple hundred pounds.

The base works OK, but could be better. The wheels are small and there is not much clearance ( 1/2") between the bottom of the base and the floor. Shavings accumulate under it and are hard to remove because the bottom of the workbench is solid. It is difficult to roll the base but fortunately I only have to move it a couple feet. The setup would function better with access to vacuum up the stuff that accumulates underneath.

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb...ase-95288.html
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

(Post #19) - perhaps obtain one of those flat, refrigerator coil brushes to help in clearing out the shavings (?)

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    (Post #19) - perhaps obtain one of those flat, refrigerator coil brushes to help in clearing out the shavings (?)
    Good suggestion, Hawkeye. Or, I could even get off my duff, drag a hose across the shop, and blow the shavings out with compressed air....
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

14" bandsaw with 2 wheels and a fold down handle

IMG_0381.jpg

R
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sleep with one eye open.

8" Wheatley jointer
    generic base
    IMG_0382.jpg
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Attachment 102089
    12" Poitras,cast iron base with top/ bottom feed drive.(heavy little monster, 800-ish lb
    on a homebrew base of 1/4" steel and 800lb(each)rated polyurethane casters
    R
    Last edited by Ron Williamson; 12-26-2021 at 05:09 PM.
    Sleep with one eye open.

Thank you all for your input! I ended up going with Chris' recommendation for Grizzly. They had sizes that worked well for my table saw & band saw. $89 & $82US respectively. $20 or so more than the ubiquitous brands - but over double the capacity (1200 lbs for these 2). Of course I won't be putting that much weight on, but it implies ruggedness. I also have to give them a thumbs up on the assembly destructions: clear writing, good pics, & options for several ways to do it.

base.jpg

Nice! Will we get a full review after you've used it for a few weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Nice! Will we get a full review after you've used it for a few weeks?
    We'll see. I've already moved the table saw around a bunch (damn motor sticking out the back is a PITA space-wise) & it moves very easily & the rubber pads that get pressed down seem to hold it pretty steady. I haven't tried to rip a 16' DF 2x8 yet - but that's on the list for the next couple of weeks. I figure that will be a really good test.

Cool! I have a couple of the old Shop Fox stands, but my floor isn't level enough for the brakes to work well...it always seems I end up parking my tool with one wheel in a dip and I have to play with the screw feet to level it out and keep it from rocking.

Garret your far wheels are the wrong way around. You want them 90 degrees to the direction of push of wood through the saw so its got less chance of moving even when its 'down'. Nota big job. You can just move the saw 90 degrees if it's square or adjust the base sides if its rectangular, also the moving castors won't be under your feet then when working at the saw either. While you're doing it also make sure you can then roll it out of the corner you're keeping it and get to the release catch thingies (they should face out into the room).
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 01-01-2022 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    Garret your far wheels are the wrong way around. You want them 90 degrees to the direction of push of wood through the saw so its got less chance of moving even when its 'down'. Nota big job. You can just move the saw 90 degrees if it's square and adjust the base sides if its rectangular, also the moving castors won't be under your feet then when working at the saw either. While you're doing it also make sure you can then roll it out of the corner you're keeping it and get to the release catch thingies (they should face out into the room).
    While I get what you're saying, the way I need to store it would make that difficult. I did think about it - but went this way. We'll see how it does. Thanks.

It's not my business either, but I know most American saws (and Americans) still don't use a riving knife, I can't see your set up but with potential for a bit of movement in a saw base (4 castors on an uneven floor) and thus the wood on the table, I think that (and a crown guard) is probably (even) more important, to avoid any kick back. I know, I know, I know...just American table saw safety never has been a thing and the more classic saws don't seem to have them. That switch doesn't look like an NVR either but I guess you can knock it with your knee off. Only sayin coz I don't want you hit with a piece of wood and these things are a chain of events.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 01-01-2022 at 01:34 PM.

I have a couple of tools mounted on bases with pedaled casters that lift the legs like this:
    07F7DB98-72FB-47D1-B95F-8AC5D45AFD8E.jpeg

But now I see many are set up with pedaled legs that lift the casters like this instead. I wonder if this is better.

I have used four casters on two-by-four framing on my homemade stands for table saw and drill press. Two casters are fixed, two are swivel. All are locking. Locking all serves pretty well for most jobs, but in cases where it seems there might be slippage, I have just lifted up each side and slipped a thicker board underneath. This isn't as slick as the pre-fab bases, which I really like, but it is the cheapest method I know of, and you mentioned cost as a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    I've had no issues with one of these HTC bases, but I see that others have. Mine is 6 or 7 years old. Perhaps the newer ones have been cost controlled.
    I've been using 2 of these- one for a 14" Delta bandsaw, and one for a 10" Powermatic open stand table saw- for 20+ years. They've been a godsend in my small shop. They're very stable set up this way; I would not consider changing the orientation of the wheels. I have run 16' 2x12s through the ts with no problem, but you obviously need proper outfeed support ;-)

Here's some homemade bases:

Bandsaw
    IMG_1921.jpeg

Mortiser
    IMG_1922.jpg

Sander
    IMG_1924.jpeg