Thread: Tide Apps?

Default Tide Apps?

Coming from the Great Lakes, I am newbie on tides and looking for a phone app. I have just moved to Port Townsend and am hoping for a resource that is good in the sound. Please advise.

Ken

Default Re: Tide Apps?

I use AyeTides on my iphone. It is good one for me.

Jeff

I use Tides on the IOS it is really great

I like Deep Zoom

https://www.deepzoom.com/
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Another vote for Aye Tides. BTW, about three cubic miles of water flow past Port Townsend a couple of times a day. Tides are good to know, and pay attention to the difference between tides and currents. Not always intuitive.

Get a tide book and use it. Use apps as a backup! / Jim

This, in conjunction with Captain Jack's tide book has worked for me. On the Salish it is more about which way the currents are running (and when) than what the state of the tide might be at any given time.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Capt Jacks plus Navionics Boating paid app. Washburn's Tables are great too, but once you have Navionics you have access to tides and currents.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I just call up SailFlow, which has weather, tides and anything else you might wonder about wherever you might be. The wind predictions are the most accurate I've found.
    -Dave

I like Ocean Watch (here on the Maine coast).

My Tide Times for Android. I am in Southeast Alaska and it works great. It also has a good widget for my home screen.

Port Townsend is on the left side of this picture, note that it is about half way to the high tide in Seattle, see how many directions the water is moving in? Whatever app you use needs to be able to give you this information to be of much use getting around on the Salish. The current, it's speed and direction are nominally based on the tide but the coastline is convoluted enough to make the water do very unexpected things (often at a very fast pace) if you only think of it as going in and out.

PT is a great spot to be sailing out of with lots of places to visit within easy distance, just remember you can't beat the current.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

Port Townsend is on the left side of this picture, note that it is about half way to the high tide in Seattle, see how many directions the water is moving in? Whatever app you use needs to be able to give you this information to be of much use getting around on the Salish. The current, it's speed and direction are nominally based on the tide but the coastline is convoluted enough to make the water do very unexpected things (often at a very fast pace) if you only think of it as going in and out.

PT is a great spot to be sailing out of with lots of places to visit within easy distance, just remember you can't beat the current.

I remember getting stuck at Bush point at full flood, making something like 5 knots through the water and 0 knots over the bottom for quite some time, until I figured out that I needed to as close to shore as possible and out of the current.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I can remember being in Rich Passage, sprawled across the cockpit soaking up some sun, listening to the water rush past the lapstrake hull and watching the same tree abeam an oarlock for 10 minutes.
    Steve

H.A. Calahan

I have been charging through the water in Spieden Channel and then looked ashore and realized I was going backward

Speiden Channel is an industry leader when it comes to handing me my ass. Amazing amount of energy flowing through there.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I still have this early edition of Tide Prints of Puget Sound on my boat and use it often. Steve's pic on post #12 is from this. I got mine originally for sailboat racing, still comes in handy. Anybody remember the scale model of Puget Sound that used to be at the Pacific Science Center? It had actual tide rise and fall as well as streams entering. And you could push a button that would squirt ink into the water so you could watch it flow.

image_2021-12-27_160227.jpg

I am always amazed that I spend almost as much time looking at the tides with a powerboat than I did with my sailboats

Well, it does reduce the chances of running out of sufficient water to stay afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I am always amazed that I spend almost as much time looking at the tides with a powerboat than I did with my sailboats
    And in my case, my power boat isn’t that much faster than my sailboats were. So there’s that.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    And in my case, my power boat isn’t that much faster than my sailboats were. So there’s that.
    True, but I can always go in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    True, but I can always go in the right direction.
    Yes. We no longer have to avoid that pesky upwind quadrant. A trade off for the noise I guess.

It seemed to me that most of the sailboats I saw in Puget Sound were under power. A friend took his sloop to Glacier Bay; he was under power 80 percent of the time and 90 percent of the distance. So I decided I could live with a powerboat. I have paid my dues with an engineless sailboat and I don't have that kind of time anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I still have this early edition of Tide Prints of Puget Sound on my boat and use it often. Steve's pic on post #12 is from this. I got mine originally for sailboat racing, still comes in handy. Anybody remember the scale model of Puget Sound that used to be at the Pacific Science Center? It had actual tide rise and fall as well as streams entering. And you could push a button that would squirt ink into the water so you could watch it flow.
    That model of Puget Sound was still there the last time I was in the Science Center (for the model train show last year). I don't know if they still run it any longer though. I've never seen it working other than in videos. But it's pretty amazing to see the complexity of the water flow that we have to deal with around here.

Another vote for AyeTides, backed up by a copy of Captn Jack's almanac and a current atlas.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Here in the north east we have “Eldridge” for tide and current information. Invaluable.

One thing to be aware of is that this book uses Bush Point as the primary reference for timing the north end currents. The Bush Point buoy is no longer in use so it doesn't show up in Captain Jacks anymore. House building and the pandemic curtailed the last two sailing seasons so I didn't use either reference book but I think adding or subtracting 15 minutes from whatever was happening in Port Townsend allowed me to use them reasonably accurately.
    Steve

H.A. Calahan