Thread: Craftsman Lathe, FREE to a good home

Default Craftsman Lathe, FREE to a good home

Lathe OA.jpg

Some months ago we were discussing old tools and someone here was interested in this Craftsman Lathe I have no use for. It came to me as part of as package of tools of which a floor-standing Belt/Disc Sander is much more useful.

Someone said they would stop and pick it up on their next trip to the midwest, however, I lost track of who that individual is. The lathe id not complete, but most of the components are there.

Default Re: Craftsman Lathe, FREE to a good home

I'm a little too far away, maybe next summer, maybe.

Dang! I’d be right over if I was within a hundred miles.

same here !!!!!!!!!!!
    "Little Bear" 1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Have one, set up for template tracing for making wooden fishing plugs, a great little lathe.

Craftsman/AA "109" 9" lathe. It's a great little lathe for home shop use in making smaller boat parts and model-making. Parts and tooling are relatively available on eBay or at https://troutunderground.com/Lathe-C...9-Metal-Lathe/ . If it's not trashed in some way, it's a great candidate for a rebuild for home shop use or as a "starter lathe" for somebody wanting to learn machining. There's lots of information on them on line. They are definitely "old school" though. (Early models may have babbitt bearings, IIRC.) If you're interested in DRO and CNC machining, this lathe probably isn't for you, but an old time machinist can do a lot with them. They're in demand by guys who don't want to make the jump to a 12" or larger swing lathe and don't want to pay the bucks for a Sherline or Taig with much less capacity.

Nicholas, do you still have that? I'm in Milwaukee, so an easy trip. I grew up in Rockford, in fact. Thinking I could take it to our volunteer youth boatworks.

I'm replying again because the forum list doesn't show my reply, even though it seems to be here. In any event, Nicholas, if the lathe is still available, I'd love to drive down from Milwaukee and pick it up for use at our volunteer youth boatyard. Thanks.

Thought I had posted a reply here earlier today, but maybe I neglected to hit the "post" button. Anyway, Paul and I have already been in contact via PM.

Picked it up Monday, a very thoughtful donation by Nick. It will go to All Hands Boatworks here in Milwaukee. Thank you, sir! So nice to meet you and the Mrs.

^ One of the great aspects of this Forum ! ! ! Well done to you both
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

And then Nick's donation led to another donation - postage paid - by a fella who I believe wishes to remain anonymous. He contact me through private message and shipped a dozen or so really nice wood lathe tools. So, as Hawkeye said, a great group of folks on board here. Thanks!