Thread: Fisherman to my miniature schooner.

Default Fisherman to my miniature schooner.

I have decided that I want to try a fisherman in my schooner. Since a schooner of this size (7.3m/24' on deck) doesn't make any sense in the first place, please save the comments about the sensibility of a fisherman. The two reasons why I want one are: 1.) It MIGHT add some drive on light air and 2.) it definitely DOES add to the looks .

So my question is about halyards, sheets and downhaul. I don't want to strike and set completely on every tack so I have studied different solutions. One that came to my mind hasn't been mentioned anywhere so I suspect there is a reason why it doesn't work.

I have a spring stay between the trucks of the masts so I need a way to negotiate the sail from side to side. Usually this is done with the sheets where the idle one is over the stay. In my case also the tack downhaul would need the same treatment because I want the fisherman's tack to be around fore throat. What if I use the peak halyard instead of the sheet and pull the peak under the spring stay when tacking? Throat halyard sheave would be at or slightly below the spring stay anyway so there will be less sail above the stay than there is below.

Anybody ever tried something like this?

Anna-SofiaLaiturissaCrop.jpg
    Last edited by Timo_N62.9_E27.7; 12-19-2021 at 09:20 AM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Fisherman to my miniature schooner.

whuts that ridiculous line from the fore peak to the triatic ?
    you want to run the fisherman from the truck of the main top ...is is un stayed?
    the tack of the uppers should be quite a bit lower than what you have with the main top and what you seek with the fisherman.hoist of the main top should be almost the same as the hoist of the main.
    bruce

That line is the fore gaff vang, far from ridiculous, maybe the most effective piece of rope in the rig. It was the easiest and quickest solution to splice the block into the stay. With the fisherman being hauled across the stay it probable needs to move to the mast.

Lowering the tack of the fisherman lower than fore throat is not a problem, actually it makes the part of the sail below the stay even bigger compared to the one above.

But to the original problem: is it possible to haul the peak under the stay instead of tack and clew going over it?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I recon one would need a downhaul on the fisherman head to the deck. More lines to get hung up on stuff aloft.
    One still needs to swap out the halyard though ,no?To the other side of the triatic.Thus, the head needs to be lowered quite a ways to reach the knot(or clip).
    Maybe a sketch of what you seek? I don't really see it happening
    b

My idea was a double halyard, both sides of the triatic and both attached to the peak when hoisting but leaving one of them slack. When tacking I would lower the peak to the triatic and then rehoist with the other one. Throat would take care of itself because it is below the triatic. Obviously the fisherman would be out/inside the fore on alternating tacks but I can live with that.

I'd forget the fisherman and go for one of those flipping topsail gimmicks, roll it over that spring stay/triatic. I've only ever seen it on one boat. Someone will have a pic.

You mean this?
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?259254-interesting-boat

Looks interesting. But not as salty as a fisherman

Another question concerning the fisherman is the cut. How flat/deep should it be? Considering how it is set and sheeted one would think that there is a lot of belly anyway so is there a need put very much/any belly in the sail itself?

And I haven't seen any comments on my original question about tacking. Where are all the schooner skippers, I know there are several on the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Timo_N62.9_E27.7 View Post
    Another question concerning the fisherman is the cut. How flat/deep should it be? Considering how it is set and sheeted one would think that there is a lot of belly anyway so is there a need put very much/any belly in the sail itself?

And I haven't seen any comments on my original question about tacking. Where are all the schooner skippers, I know there are several on the forum?

Not sure I've ever even seen a schooner with a gaffed foresail and no fore topmast setting a fisherman. Usually, fishermen are set on staysail schooners, since the mainstay runs down from the mainmast crosstrees to somewhere near the or to the deck in way of the foremast, which allows the fisherman to be tacked over the mainstay. This may explain why there haven't been any comments regarding tacking by lowering the peak.
    Without a fore topmast and having the fore gaff/vang and spring stay, there's an awful lot of obstructions in a very small area, vastly complicating your concept. Suggest you just try it and see what works. As for belly/draft in the sail, since you have indicated use would be most likely in light air, you'd want more draft to increase power to move in the light stuff.
    Please keep the Forum informed of progress.