Thread: Chemical remover for barnacles

Default Chemical remover for barnacles

One of the boats got left in the water too long without antifouling. We scraped off most of the wildlife but still have the remnants of the barnacles. They can be sanded off, but that removes a lot of paint. I remember there were acids that dissolve them but canít remember product names.

Default Re: Chemical remover for barnacles

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    One of the boats got left in the water too long without antifouling. We scraped off most of the wildlife but still have the remnants of the barnacles. They can be sanded off, but that removes a lot of paint. I remember there were acids that dissolve them but can’t remember product names.
    Most acids will dissolve calcium carbonate. Some quicker than others. Try cheap white vinegar. If that does not work, you can pretend to be Scots and put it on your French fries.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Muriatic acid. Other weaker acids like citric will also work if given sufficient time.

Muriatic works super-quick, bear in mind it reacts with the copper bottom pant as well, discolors it. If youre going to paint over, no worries.

If you make up a wallpaper paste mix with either citric or acetic acid then it can be painted on and stays in place until you hose it off.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    If you make up a wallpaper paste mix with either citric or acetic acid then it can be painted on and stays in place until you hose it off.
    And either of those are far friendlier acids than muriatic / hydrochloric. My choice would be for citric, available in bulk quantities for a pretty cheap outlay.

I've used it to de-lime hot water tanks for decades. Or the off-the-shelf product LemiShine for taking hard water scale off cooking utensils that have been used to boil water.

I got the job done with judicious application of diluted muriatic acid.
    Making a glop with wallpaper paste sounds like a good idea. I’ll file it away.
    Last edited by JimConlin; 12-18-2021 at 07:50 PM.