Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire-Drake’s Last Cruise

Default Re: Fire-Drake’s Last Cruise

Great Trip Report!

Sorry about the calf, the transition back to land is always bracing.

-Derek

Scamp #169

Thanks Alex. If this is the last cruise aboard Fire-Drake you made it a good one!
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty53 View Post
    Great Trip Report!

Sorry about the calf, the transition back to land is always bracing.

-Derek

Scamp #169
    It is indeed. This trip not quite as bracing as some extended wilderness trips in the past, but it is quite a shift.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Thanks Alex. If this is the last cruise aboard Fire-Drake you made it a good one!
    You're welcome! It was memorable.
    Alex

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.”
    - Vincent van Gogh

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Update on Elliot Creek landslide and tsunami

I mentioned earlier in this thread (post #23) that I encountered floating debris that was a likely result of the Elliot Lake landslide/tsunami that delivered a whole lot devastation into the Elliot Creek and Southgate River beds, and subsequently, Bute Inlet.

Now the University of Northern British Columbia has completed a study on the event that quantifies it.

Lots of geeky data in the study for those inclined that way, but suffice it to say that it was really big and you wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere in its path.

For those wanting just a quick gargle rather than the full firehose of data in the study, there is a CBC News story about it, too.

Finally, it turns out these events are common enough to have their own acronym. They are known as
    “glacial lake outburst floods” or GLOFs. I am pleased to be able to add GLOF to my vocabulary.
    Alex

"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.”
    - Vincent van Gogh

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca