Thread: Devlin Surf Runner 25

Default Devlin Surf Runner 25

Here are some pics of a Sam Devlin Surf Runner 25, I started in late August. Sam modified the plans to accept a 200HP outboard. I’ll add to this thread occasionally with updates, but more detail, if you care to see, is on my website where the entire build is photo/text documented almost daily:Surf Runner Build Website

Building a stitch-and-glue, this time, mainly because it's the largest boat I’ve built and I didn’t want to make too much of a life career out of it – want to finish in one year total duration, working part-time on it. We’ll see.

Here’s where she stands today. ” ply was applied over the sapele core on the stem/keel. Now tapering the stem.
    stem_taper.jpg

Now back to the beginning, to show a few pics in chronological order.

Laser level used to align bulkheads through “mouse holes”. Note scarfs joints on long panels.
    BH123_on_frame.jpg

Bulkheads and longitudinals in place.
    Longs_in_place.jpg

As I’m building this boat 98% by myself, I’ve been using a cherry picker with 2x4 extension arm as a crane.
    sides_wiring.jpg

All stitched up and after some minor alignment of panel edges it was ready for epoxy “tabbing” on the inside.
    sheer_panels_on.jpg

Continued in next post..
    Last edited by garyb; 12-05-2021 at 07:23 PM. Reason: fix font

Default Re: Devlin Surf Runner 25

Part 2 of post..

Overhead joints got small rectangular “tabs” of glass over thickened epoxy fillets. >80 Vertical joints, bulkheads to hull, got a thickened epoxy fillet, 2 layers of 12 oz biax, a layer of 6 oz woven glass, and peel ply (which is still on in this pic).
    fillets_done.jpg

” Meranti ply is cold-molded with thickened epoxy over ” okoume on the bottom. Screwed down with ~400 screws using packing tape covered ” ply “washers”. Filled screw holes after with toothpicks dipped in thickened epoxy.
    cold_mold_1.jpg

Breasthook and Doubled sheer clamps were installed, and then the hull was glassed with a layer of 6 oz woven.
    underneath2.jpg

Stem and keel made from laminated sapele, 1 ” wide. Used laser level to mark locations of strakes, not yet installed in this pic.
    strake_lines.jpg

” ply was applied over the sapele core on the stem/keel. Now tapering the stem. Brings to the present.
    stem_taper.jpg

That is going to be a fine looking boat. 200hp sounds like a lot, how does that compare to the inboard diesel Devlin originally specified?
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Why twice the designer's HP?

The original that Sam Devlin designed and built had a Volvo Penta 160HP. Sam suggested a 200HP outboard for it, for my purposes and he modified the design for that.

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    The original that Sam Devlin designed and built had a Volvo Penta 160HP. Sam suggested a 200HP outboard for it, for my purposes and he modified the design for that.

That jibes with my general experience, which is that because of diesel having more torque the equivalent horsepower is lower. The outboard will also likely swing a smaller prop

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Since I was catching up on the forum this morning, thought I'd post a couple more recent pics of this Surf Runner build. The Stem and Keel are ready for the filleting, including layers of glass on each side. The lifting strakes and flat chines are installed and shaped. I'm doing some final sanding and fairing, and then after the filleting work I will be ready for a layer of Dynel as the final "cloth" layer before finish fairing/sanding and paint.

I've been stalled due to cold weather though - epoxy just isn't flowing very well in our cold north-west garage. So have been distracting myself with other projects.

Must say that I'm nervous about using the Dynel. Haven't used it before, except for on a test board with a strake on it to see how it laid up. But, Devlin highly recommended it. I already bought the Dynel so am committed, but I'm building this boat on my own, so trying to figure how how to apply it in small enough batches that I can be successful. My understanding is that one does not overlap seams when using Dynel, as they don't squish down together nicely like fiberglass. I used peel ply on earlier fiberglass layers. Is peel ply useful over Dynel to help fill the weave on the first go?

Any tips on Dynel are appreciated. I've watched one youtube video on Dynel (Tips from a Shipwright), but I'm not convinced on that method if I'm doing it single-handed. thanks.

Here's the latest on the build:
    hull_shot.jpg

gains_shaped.jpg

I used Dynel on Marianita's deck, mostly because I was looking for that elusive textured canvas look. The "look" part didn't really work out but the application did. Started by rough cutting the shapes then laid down a coat of epoxy on the bare wood, let that tack up a bit and carefully laid the Dynel onto that followed by a more generous application of epoxy squeegeed on. I had trouble getting an even surface texture, some places ended up perfect, others the weave filled in, more than willing to accept a "user error" mark on that. The thick weave of the Dynel will suck up a lot of epoxy before the surface is flat, peel ply might help, I don't have any personal experience using it.

One of the pictures on your blog had a System 3 tub in the background. Using their "slow" hardener in a cool shop would give you some extra working time. Call them about the possibility of blush, it would be a real pain to get all those pockets in the weave cleaned out if that happened. Hot coating here would probably help.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

There are some good videos on Off Center Harbor on using peel ply and at least one on applying dynel.

Great looking build!

There are some good videos on Off Center Harbor, if you are a subscriber to that website. Like Stromborg I have only used Dynel for an epoxy version of canvas deck texture, where the goal is to leave just enough epoxy to bond the Dynel but leave the texture of the weave.

I'd worry about floating the cloth off the substrate if you try to fill the weave in one go.

Dynel drapes nicely but if there are any folds or, god forbid, creases, you need to iron them out or they will lift right up off the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    One of the pictures on your blog had a System 3 tub in the background. Using their "slow" hardener in a cool shop would give you some extra working time. Call them about the possibility of blush, it would be a real pain to get all those pockets in the weave cleaned out if that happened. Hot coating here would probably help.
    I used System 3 on a prior boat (the Morbic). On this Surf Runner I'm using non-blush MAS. I have both Fast and Slow Part B, both in temperature controlled containers and I've played around with temperature of the epoxy when dispensed prior to mixing. But, the boat temperature and garage is what it is (cold!). I can do okay with Slow part B, with temps > 50F, but below that it just doesn't relax and smooth out very well on the boat on it's own. The peel ply helped a lot when doing inside fillets, tape on the chines/taints, and on the 1st layer of glass.

Thanks all for the comments so far on using Dynel. Very helpful. Will check out the Off Center Harbor site too.

I subscribed to Off Center Harbor and found the videos there very well done and helpful. "Thanks for that tip!

I went forward with the dynel as the last layer on the hull and it came out alright - whew! Rolled the epoxy on in small batches, as I was using Fast part B, and then used a squeegee to remove excess epoxy and avoid floating. I then filled with 3 more coats with increasing amounts of fairing filler. Much sanding later, with touchup fairing in between in ever decreasing quantities until I'm at the point where I'm ready to apply primer to the bottom. Decided on Interprotect 2000e for bottom barrier coat.

Now I'm getting ready for boat flip and thought I'd present my strategy and get your feedback..

The hull is presently quite level to water-line. I plan to level it to waterline after it's flipped as well. The building frame is level side-to-side, but has about 2" of fall from stern to bow. Using a laser level and found the relative differences in building frame elevation at the locations where I have 3 supporting cradles and accounted for that in their construction.

After bottom painting, I will add cushions to the cradles and strap these in place on the upside-down hull. Using a quite hefty U-bolt at bow and a 3/4" eye I plan to mount in the transom, I plan to use an engine hoist at each end to hoist the hull and rotate it rotisserie style. The engine hoist legs will be fit to the building frame so that they can't roll sideways. Will use various lines with purchase, and anchored high up on the walls in our garage (to double 2x6 studs), to control the speed of rotation. After touchdown, right-side-up, I can tune the cradles with shims to get to water-line level and will anchor and brace them to the building frame.

Will spare you some details (like removal of existing bulkhead bracing ahead), and I do plan to have enough help (and I don't want to hurt any of them), but to get to my question..
    How do I locate the Vertical Center of Gravity at the transom and where should I mount the 3/4" eye relative to that?
    The U-bolt at the bow will be mounted where Devlin calls it out on the plans, just above (below as the hull is presently upside down) where the chines meet the stem.

cradles_done.jpg

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I've flipped a number of boats, but none this large. Could weigh about 1500 lbs at this point.
    A link to build pictures is in my signature below.

thanks!
    Gary

Backing up to some of your earlier posts - Are you an auto-mechanic? I ask this because you did some impressive upsidedown work on the inside of a flipped boat! I don't think anyone on this site has put a breasthook in upside down. Nice work.
    I don't know any tips on rotisserie flip but am watching to learn.

I also liked your use of the engine hoist with 2x4 as a "dumb robot" helper with the side panels. 10-20 years from now there may be someone posting a pic of a real robot from Boston Dynamics or Acme helping to build there boat. Good luck with the flip.

Quote Originally Posted by gray duck View Post
    Backing up to some of your earlier posts - Are you an auto-mechanic? I ask this because you did some impressive upsidedown work on the inside of a flipped boat! I don't think anyone on this site has put a breasthook in upside down. Nice work.
    Thanks Gray Duck, and nope on my being an auto mechanic, except for work on my own cars. ;-) Ugh, I can't tell you how many times I've climbed under that boat (and hit my head on things).

Quote Originally Posted by gray duck View Post
    I also liked your use of the engine hoist with 2x4 as a "dumb robot" helper with the side panels. 10-20 years from now there may be someone posting a pic of a real robot from Boston Dynamics or Acme helping to build there boat. Good luck with the flip.
    Yeah, the hoist has come in handy countless times, as this build is mostly on my own. I'll get help to flip her though.

Got the first coat of bottom paint on today.
    bottom_paint_2.jpg

Still could use some ideas on how to estimate the vertical center of gravity on the transom would be, so I can mount a 3/4" eye there for a hoist point for the "rotisserie" style flip coming up.

thanks

[QUOTEStill could use some ideas on how to estimate the vertical center of gravity on the transom would be, so I can mount a 3/4" eye there for a hoist point for the "rotisserie" style flip coming up.
    ][/QUOTE]

I don't see a way except by guess...I'd compensate by maybe mounting lever arms to the transom and running control lines to them. Basically count on not getting the balance right & control the turn another way if necessary...

Still could use some ideas on how to estimate the vertical center of gravity on the transom would be, so I can mount a 3/4" eye there for a hoist point for the "rotisserie" style flip coming up.
    ][/QUOTE]

I don't see a way except by guess...I'd compensate by maybe mounting lever arms to the transom and running control lines to them. Basically count on not getting the balance right & control the turn another way if necessary...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply Moe. Will take my best crack at it.

You're right to just not count on getting the balance right. I plan to have lines (low stretch, high load halyard/sheets from a 35' sailboat) with 4:1 purchase anchored high on the walls in the garage, with the bitter ends around cleats, that will be managing the spin rate.

Will let everyone know later how it turns out. ;-)
    Gary

Some good intel here from Forumite, MMD. He oughta know: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ter-of-Gravity

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Some good intel here from Forumite, MMD. He oughta know: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ter-of-Gravity

Kevin
    That's a good thread, thanks for sharing. It is mostly about fore-and-aft center of gravity. I'm looking for the Vertical Center of Gravity (VCG). I.e. how high up the transom should I mount an eye bolt so that the boat could rotate without having some bias (if uncontrolled during rotation) toward settling keel-down, sheer-down or something else.

She is flipped using a rotisserie style with an engine hoist at each end. Went well.

It's documented in THIS "Flipping a Surf Runner 25 Hull with How-to Video THREAD. I created a separate thread for the flip as it could apply generally to any other larger boats that need flipping how-to ideas.