Thread: Understatement

Default Understatement

“Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.”

Captain Eric Moody, British Airways, Flight 009, June 24, 1982.
    AKA “The Jakarta Incident”.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Default Re: Understatement

The captain sounds like a very trusting man.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

She has a fear of flying yet She had to fly a lot for business. On one flight she was sitting next to her boss and she started to come unglued. She grabbed him in a panic and said, “Did you hear him?!! He said ladies and gentlemen, we are trying to extinguish some fires!” Her boss gently told her, “No, he said, ladies and gentlemen, we would like to welcome executive fliers.”

Was flying back to the US from Okinawa in the mid '50s, probably a DC-4. Lost an engine and had to make a stop at Midway for a new engine, no big deal. Left Midway and had to divert to Hickam AFB in Hawaii after losing two engines. No big deal. Finally got to Edwards AFB in SOCAL without further incident. Routine flight for the time. No one seemed concerned.

Amazing they got them started again.

Screen-Shot-2017-06-23-at-08.18.35.jpg

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

A military pilot called for a priority landing because his single-engine jet fighter was running “a bit peaked.”

Air Traffic Control told the fighter pilot that he was number two, behind a B-52 that had one engine shut down.

“Ah,” the fighter pilot remarked, “The dreaded seven-engine approach.”

I read about that Jakata incident. Flying through volcanic ash at night. Sand blasted the windshield so bad they couldn't really see the runway when they finally got there.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    “Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.”

Captain Eric Moody, British Airways, Flight 009, June 24, 1982.
    AKA “The Jakarta Incident”.
    Another entry for the Hirohito Award for Understatement. (“The war situation has not necessarily developed in favour of Japan”).

For consideration:
    “There’s something wrong with our damned ships today!” (Admiral Beatty at the Battle of Jutland, as the third battle cruiser in his squadron exploded).
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT