Thread: Police equipment. 2 questions.

Default Police equipment. 2 questions.

Why are police tasers shaped like guns? Couldn’t they be shaped like flashlights?

Why don’t officers carry batons like European cops?
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Default Re: Police equipment. 2 questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Why are police tasers shaped like guns? Couldn’t they be shaped like flashlights?

Cops use flashlights as batons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Cops use flashlights as batons.
    "I thought I was reaching for my taser!"
    “Aren’t you supposed to be the gentlemen who lie for the good of their country?”
    “That’s diplomats. We’re not gentlemen.”
    “So you lie to save your hides.”
    That’s politicians. Different game entirely.”

European?
    Police carry firearms in Germany, France, Sweden, Netherlands, and more.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Instead of 'defunding' the cops, we should disarm them.

Let them have some minimum defensive gear, and communications such that when a situation calls for some force, they put in a call for more troops similarly equipped.

When all the sociopaths and bullies enamored of indulging in personal power walk off the job disappointed, the worthy ones can stay for the retraining.

Rather than then focusing on how vulnerable that makes them, consider how the general public would then be able to relate to them. Imagine some heavies willing to use force against the unarmed cops and the cops being backed up by concerned citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post

Let them have some minimum defensive gear, and communications such that when a situation calls for some force, they put in a call for more troops similarly equipped.

When all the sociopaths and bullies enamored of indulging in personal power walk off the job disappointed, the worthy ones can stay for the retraining.

Rather than then focusing on how vulnerable that makes them, consider how the general public would then be able to relate to them. Imagine some heavies willing to use force against the unarmed cops and the cops being backed up by concerned citizenry.
    'policing by consent'
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Far too many guns in the community, cops equipment is a reflection of the risk.
    Their selection, educational level, training and attitude is another matter entirely.

finished it for you 'and the cops being backed up by concerned citizenry with concealed carry licences?.'

Why are police tasers shaped like guns? Couldn’t they be shaped like flashlights ?
    Jim, back in the early 2000's a police officer in Rochester, MN went to tase a suspect, and ended up shooting him - as both weapons had similar shapes. I think, if you check, you will find that they have attempted to make them appear somewhat dissimilar.

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Tasers should be penis shaped, that would work

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Jim, back in the early 2000's a police officer in Rochester, MN went to tase a suspect, and ended up shooting him - as both weapons had similar shapes. I think, if you check, you will find that they have attempted to make them appear somewhat dissimilar.

Rick
    From today’s paper:
    Trial to begin for officer who said she confused her gun with Taser in Daunte Wright killing
Kim Potter, who subsequently resigned, is charged with first- and second-degree manslaughter in the April shooting
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    European?
    Police carry firearms in Germany, France, Sweden, Netherlands, and more.

Kevin
    Yes, but the flics in Paris also carry far less lethal collapsible batons.
    London Met PCs don’t carry guns.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

They'd be dead on the street.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

When all you have is a hammer all problems look like a nail.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Yes, but the flics in Paris also carry far less lethal collapsible batons.
    Plenty of police carry a baton and a gun(s). Depends on the specific duty or circumstance. Often, its a collapsible baton in a belt sheath rather than a " nightstick," so not always noticeable, though cops working crowds or events often do carry the traditional type.

This from your city, Tacoma Police (bold is mine):

R)ASP® or Wooden Tactical Baton™ CALEA 1.3.9
    The ASP® or wooden baton issued by the Department is required police equipment and will be carried in a holder
    on the belt by all uniformed personnel, the rank of Sergeant and below while on duty in the field or acting in an
    official capacity in a uniformed off-duty position. The Quartermaster is responsible for maintaining documentation
    relative to the types and specifications of all ASP®/wooden tactical batons approved for use by Department
    personnel.

https://cms.cityoftacoma.org/police/...t_Policies.pdf

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Breakaway, thanks for the link, but unless they carry them in their pants, no one is following the manual.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

I've seen British and French police armed with submachine guns. In person.

The Brits around a political location (in London) and the French at CDG.

The world is not so benign, as the average American believes.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Breakaway, thanks for the link, but unless they carry them in their pants, no one is following the manual.
    You may be correct, but that's your solitary observation. It is hardly statistically significant.
    Have you asked this question of the community relations officer at your local precinct?

Kevin

Edit: ASP model baton referenced is telescopic--as I mentioned in other post. It fits in a belt holster and more or less looks like a mag light when holstered.

Screen Shot 2021-12-02 at 1.47.43 AM.png
    Last edited by Breakaway; 12-02-2021 at 01:49 AM.

High school friend of mine, a Brit, who taught me to play the bagpipes, moved back to England after high school. Got accepted at Sandhurst, he did.

Served as an MP at Edinburgh Castle. Said that when they went on patrol -- as, apparently, squaddies who get themselves knackered get a bit . . . rowdy -- has to check out truncheons.

On returning them to the armorer, they had to account for any new dings or nicks in them.

Paul did say that they weren't often needed. A simple "You're under arrest in the name of HM the Queen" was, apparently, generally sufficient.

Then he served in Ulster with the Black Watch, and later in Argentina (!) and the Falklands with the SAS.

Told me that the hardest bit of that was after his crew had ... terminated an Argentine machine gun emplacement in the Falklands. After action, they had to go through it for any potential intelligence. Said that the gun crew were kids, 12-15 years old or so. They had teddy bears with them.

Just kids, wanting their moms.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I've seen British and French police armed with submachine guns. In person.

The Brits around a political location (in London) and the French at CDG.

The world is not so benign, as the average American believes.

OMG, I have [not] fond memories of, back in the late 80's - early 90's of getting through

- Air France security and
    - CDG security ...

Only to be stopped by the Police Nationale on the way to the gate.

Machine guns. Dogs. Zero sense of humor.

This is at least a decade before 9/11, and I'm having to justify my beloved Opinel #6.

And then there was the south of France (Nice?) when there was a terrorist threat on.

And let me say, it harshes your mellow, to walk down the street, and see soldiers in full battle rattle on every street corner, and the streets being patrolled by [the French equivalent of a jeep] with with a crew manning a Browning 50 on the back.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

aI was reading recently about a cop in the US that shot a bloke in an electric wheelchair armed with a knife. Shot him 9 times then handcuffed him...bloke died naturally. The cop was sacked.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Two stories applicable to this thread - I was in Palma de Mallorca in the late 1970's and needed to make a phone call back to the States. When I approached the telephone exchange building, I was stopped for a document check by police / soldiers carrying short-barreled machine pistols.

Later, I boarded a flight ( pre-9/11) on El-Al from New York to Tel Aviv, and in response to the ticket agents question, admitted I was carrying a pocket knife. I showed it to her ( a small Buck folder ) , and she responded " That's not a knife, please go ahead and board, Sir"
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

My son tells me the latest gizmo is the bollo.....oh, and they cops here still carry batons.

Last edited by Fitz; 12-02-2021 at 04:04 PM.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau