Thread: Court hearing on abortion

Default Court hearing on abortion

Listening to Miss. Solicitor Gen.

He just told the court abortion rights should be left to the people. Are women not people?

Wouldn't leaving this to the people mean letting the pregnant woman decide?
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Default Re: Court hearing on abortion

there's a lot of pro life women out there john
    especially in southern conservative church going states
    and districts with lots of catholics
    don't fool your self into thinking abortion breaks cleanly between women and men
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    don't fool your self into thinking abortion breaks cleanly between women and men
    Why not just leave it to the pregnant woman?

There's also a lot of men out there who don't wish to pay child support.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Sounds like Roe is in trouble. McConnell’s cheating seems to have worked.

Default Court hearing on abortion

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Sounds like Roe is in trouble. McConnell’s cheating seems to have worked.

Yes. Be interesting to see how this affects the next election cycle.

There are a lot of pro-life women out there (and men) -- at least, until their 14-year old daughter gets knocked up, or they get their own unwanted pregnancy or pregnancy with severe genetic abnormalities or congenital defects.
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 12-01-2021 at 02:34 PM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Listening to Miss. Solicitor Gen.

He just told the court abortion rights should be left to the people. Are women not people?

Wouldn't leaving this to the people mean letting the pregnant woman decide?
    Oh?

"Three-quarters of Americans say they want to keep in place the landmark Supreme Court ruling, Roe v. Wade, that made abortion legal in the United States."

"A total of 77% say the Supreme Court should uphold Roe, but within that there's a lot of nuance — 26% say they would like to see it remain in place, but with more restrictions added; 21% want to see Roe expanded to establish the right to abortion under any circumstance; 16% want to keep it the way it is; and 14% want to see some of the restrictions allowed under Roe reduced. Just 13% overall say it should be overturned."

Sounds like "both sides" would like to shift things - which is the essence of compromise.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post

There are a lot of pro-life women out there (and men) -- at least, until their 14-year old daughter gets knocked, or they get their own unwanted pregnancy or pregnancy with severe genetic abnormalities or congenital defects.
    Just so.

It does if you look at the gender mix of the various legislatures that propose these bills. Sure you’ll find some women supporting forced pregnancy or unequal health care but in the states that support these bills you’ll find primarily male Republicans making the vote for the bill possible. Just as you’ll find some women committing violent crimes but the majority are men. Susan Collins is pro choice but she does not represent the majority of Republican Senators.

Here you go. Look at these states with less than 20% of the legislators are women. Sure many are Republican but the fact is it’s majority men in Republican dominated legislatures.

https://www.ncsl.org/legislators-sta...-for-2021.aspx
    Last edited by LeeG; 12-01-2021 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post

There are a lot of pro-life women out there (and men) -- at least, until their 14-year old daughter gets knocked, or they get their own unwanted pregnancy or pregnancy with severe genetic abnormalities or congenital defects.
    I knew two women in that category. Pro-life, but got abortions, then went back telling others not to.......

I just don't get why the only people who's opinion matters aren't pregnant women.

I see a lot of religion in this debate, including the idea that men should rule over women.

I knew two women in that category. Pro-life, but got abortions, then went back telling others not to.......
    The "It's OK for me, but not for you" argument is hypocrisy of the highest order, IMO.

I just don't get why the only people who's opinion matters aren't pregnant women.
    It's a decision to be made by the society, not forced by a minority.

I see a lot of religion in this debate, including the idea that men should rule over women.
    Ya think? Definitely a situation where belief plays a significant role. It is one that certainly tugs at heart strings on both sides of the issue - for mostly justifiable reasons on both sides. The view of a woman going for an abortion as malicious seems very much at odds with women that I know of who have undergone the procedure - it is one that they wrestled with.

If Pro-Life individuals and legislators would step up to adopt and support these children... Particularly those babies who experience life-limiting disabilities that are born because of limited options for the mother, I might change my opinion on the motives of pro-life individuals who think they know better. Harsh, but real.

The "It's OK for me, but not for you" argument is hypocrisy of the highest order.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    It does if you look at the gender mix of the various legislatures that propose these bills. Sure you’ll find some women supporting forced pregnancy or unequal health care but in the states that support these bills you’ll find primarily male Republicans making the vote for the bill possible. Just as you’ll find some women committing violent crimes but the majority are men. Susan Collins is pro choice but she does not represent the majority of Republican Senators.
    the law in question before the court from mississippi was voted into law unanimously by the mississippi legislature

36 republican state senators 16 democratic state senators
    74 republican representatives 45 democratic representatives and 2 independent representatives

45 of those members are women

the law in question before the court from mississippi was voted into law unanimously by the mississippi legislature

74 republican representatives 45 democratic representatives and 2 independent representatives

How much of that do you think is political posturing for their voter base? In other words, that they'd get primary challengers who are even further to the right than they are.
    -William A. Ward

I am pro-abortion.

Although not at very late stages of pregnancy unless for medical reasons.

This highlights, one example (there are many) why abortion should be allowed.

That song makes me sad.

Little, if anything, has changed since Elvis released that song in 1969 . . . 42 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    That song makes me sad.
    it's supposed to

https://legiscan.com/MS/rollcall/HB1510/id/719308

75 for 34 against, it passed mostly along party lines where men dominate the legislature. I completely agree there are women who support restrictive healthcare especially for those without means but that’s the price they’re willing to pay to be on the majority platform.

As alluded to earlier - I'm really curious the fall-out in the upcoming elections, were RoeVwade reversed.

'Careful what you wish for' comes to mind. And buyers remorse. Maybe. And maybe that's what it'll take for some semblance of a 'return to normal'.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    https://legiscan.com/MS/rollcall/HB1510/id/719308

75 for 34 against, it passed mostly along party lines where men dominate the legislature. I completely agree there are women who support restrictive healthcare especially for those without means but that’s the price they’re willing to pay to be on the majority platform.
    that's interesting, thanks for the correction

i got my numbers from the former mississippi republican governor who was being interviewed this morning - should've known i couldn't trust his sorry ass

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    The "It's OK for me, but not for you" argument is hypocrisy of the highest order, IMO.

It's a decision to be made by the society, not forced by a minority.

Ya think? Definitely a situation where belief plays a significant role. It is one that certainly tugs at heart strings on both sides of the issue - for mostly justifiable reasons on both sides. The view of a woman going for an abortion as malicious seems very much at odds with women that I know of who have undergone the procedure - it is one that they wrestled with.

If Pro-Life individuals and legislators would step up to adopt and support these children... Particularly those babies who experience life-limiting disabilities that are born because of limited options for the mother, I might change my opinion on the motives of pro-life individuals who think they know better. Harsh, but real.

The "It's OK for me, but not for you" argument is hypocrisy of the highest order.
    No one is forcing anyone to get an abortion. The only forcing is from the other side.

If they really want the people, as a whole, to decide; put it up as a question next election.

A secondary question here is medical records are private, so how do people know a woman had an abortion?

Wonder if any of those women are pregnant, or have had an abortion.

Our democracy is being run by a minority.

On more ways than one.

The tails seem to be wagging the dogs.

liberals suck

I just saw this meme.

'You can't eliminate abortion with legislation. You can only eliminate safe abortions.'

As long as women have an absolute right to NOT get an abortion, I fail to see the logic, or even the emotion.

How does a person care so much about the unborn, yet so little about them after birth.

And isn't this procedure protected by Hippa?

No.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Our nation was established to be run by a minority. It's been that way since it was founded.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com