Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Lee wants a new trimaran design...

Default Re: Lee wants a new trimaran design...

Two batteries will run my 1 ton boat for hours. A light multi should be fine with a 12 volt motor and a single deep cycle. Of course, lithium is much better if you want to pay for it.
    -Dave

Hey Dave, I know we aren't supposed to promote products on here, but can you recommend a name brand or three that are good, and which ones I should stay away from? When you say a light multi, do you mean a trolling motor, or an actual electric outboard motor? A lot of the electric outboards I have seen on amazon are 48 Volts, and the batteries are like 300~400 bucks. I would rather stick with 12 volts so I can pick up a marine battery locally when I need to. Oh yeah, I went sailing again today. I am going to post some videos when I get a chance on my other thread. I won't hijack my own thread with the details. But yeah, let me know what you think the best bang for the buck is with electric motors. If two batteries will run a 1 ton boat for hours, I am sure 150 pound boat should get up and go pretty good on electric power.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn’t thinking.”
    “You’re never beaten until you admit it.”
    - General George Smith Patton

No problems with naming brands here as long as it's not a salesman talking. I use a 24V Minn Kota trolling motor on my pocket cruiser powered by a pair of MTech or Miller Tech lithium batteries. But that's a ton of boat to be pushed. I would expect a 45-pound thrust 12V motor to be plenty to drive a 20' trimaran. Paired with a lead-acid deep cycle marine battery you'd be set for $500 or less. Go to a lithium battery and the cost would go up by several hundred dollars, but you'd save a lot of weight and you can actually get more miles out of a lithium battery with the same amp-hour rating as a lead acid battery. So the calculations can get confusing. (The lithium battery delivers good voltage until it's nearly dead. The lead battery voltage drops off as the cells discharge.)

Even the smallest outboard will set you back close to a grand, and they're noisy and require keeping gas in the boat and all that mess.

You could get more efficiency in a smaller package with a Torqueedo, but the cost gets crazy for what I see as a small advantage in a motor that won't be used most of the time.
    -Dave

Greetings trimaran fans! Long time no posting. Sorry, I have been busy with work, Soldier, training, master's degree, all kinds of worthless things that take away from my boat time. So update on this new trimaran project, I emailed Duckworks to see if they had any contact with Mark Gumprecht. No joy. But, their design guy said there is a 20% rule of thumb on changing dimensions. As long as you don't change dimensions by more than 20%, you don't need a complete re-design. Not sure if I am real comfortable with that, but I ain't no naval architect. I am going to stretch the drifter 16 out to 18 feet, and see how it goes. Only bad thing is, I have to wait for my 21 year old son to finish restoring a 1982 Jeep CJ7 so I can have room to build a new boat in the garage. Maybe by then lumber prices will come back down. Anybody know where I can get some cheaper than dirt Cedar?

Anyway, I got out on the water Friday evening. Gorgeous sunset on Strom Thurmond Lake. Finally got time to get another video in while the water and the wind was sort of calm. Water calmed down after all the crazy power boaters ran like chickens from the storm and stopped churning up the lake. I stayed out, furled the jib, left the main up, and held on for dear life. Once the storm passed, I was treated to this AMAZING sunset. The 3 foot waves calmed to a ripple so I let the jib back out. There was still some big wind that kept me moving at 4 to 7 mph. That feels like 60 on a small kayak Trimaran. According to the history on my Garmin GPS, I hit 10 mph (8.7 kts) in the storm. New speed record for me!! I was hiked out as far as I could go and was still burying the leeward ama. Almost went over several times but I was able to let the sheet out to dump some air, turn into the eye of the wind, and slow her down before I flipped. I probably shouldn't have been out there, but I always say if you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much space!! Enjoy the sunset:

The video didn't show up as well as I thought. Here is a pic I snapped with my phone:
    IMG_20220617_210414739_MP.jpg
    Last edited by Lee.007; 06-19-2022 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added pic

Wilhelmshaven, Northwest Germany, Jade Bay at the North Sea Coast

Hello, sorry, Iam late to this thread.

Motor: If you are interested: a Torqueedo or a E-Propulsion E-Outboard motor with 1100Watt are a 3HP petrol outboard (thrust) equivalent. With a included Lithium battery it wheighs in at 17kg. More than enough for a light trimaran.

Boat: If you have decided for the Seaclipper or Drifter trimaran design, give the W17 Trimaran Design a chance. Mike Waters has got all the design details right, that are so important to give the three panel Vaka with a flat bottom a good performance and -balance. An excellent boat!!! A much better design than the Drifters.

Have Fun, Michel

Thanks, I was just doing the Drifters to have something for right now, and to do it on the cheap. The Seaclipper 20 is the ultimate goal. It will be the flagship in my family armada.

Quote Originally Posted by luckystrike118 View Post

Motor: If you are interested: a Torqueedo or a E-Propulsion E-Outboard motor with 1100Watt are a 3HP petrol outboard (thrust) equivalent. With a included Lithium battery it wheighs in at 17kg. More than enough for a light trimaran.
    Whooaaa... That torqeedo or the e-propulsion is going to cost more than I planned to spend on the boat hull and half the sail. Sorry, I'm a cheapskate cause my status in life forces me to be. Especially in today's world. That's why I am going to build a small boat with free wood I picked up from my father-in-law. Thanks for the tips though. I will certainly keep them on my wish list.

If you are building a trimaran, in wood, it's crazy not to do a stressform boat. I built an ama for my 24 footer, it was 20 foot long, in 20 hours. 5 evenings 2 hours ish, and 10 hours over a weekend. Compare that to the Devlin I am building at 13 foot where just tabing the hull is taking like 30 hours, and it is a step that really doesn't do anything that is essential in the final boat. I am sure I am doing it wrong, but I am closing on 300 feet of stitch and glue, and am normally ahead of the pack. Hey, Jim Brown said so.

It is the cheapest way to build a multihull, and the fastest, and the lightest. My boat is 24 foot. I was looking at a sailing mag where there was an ad for a "24 foot" (turned out to be 22 foot) trimaran, that was carbon fiber foam, and the weight was higher than my boat. No doubt it was great, but plywood in stessform will regularly beat carbon fiber super yachts, in some conditions. And, as I said, light and high performance also translate to cheap and fast to build in this one case.

You need to get some mastery of numbers if you haven't already. So what is a reasonable displacement for 20 foot trimaran main hull. Well KHSD has one and it is 900 pounds, and the boat weighs 500 pounds. Now yours might weigh less if it is not designed to carry heavy sailing loads and is basically a canoe. But I would guess that you will not get a hull that weighs 200 pounds and carries 800. Say a 16 foot stripper is 60 pounds, a 20 footer, all else equal would be exactly twice as heavy.

You don't need to design it yourself, but one does need to get some numbers under the belt. Nothing is more common than a mountain of BS, and fake promises where multihull designs are concerned, particularly for the small ones. That double berth turns out to 16" wide. And here is the kicker I was on one of these designer geniuses's boats once, and his double was the same width as on my 24 footer.

Gougeons built a trimaran in this class, the Victor T. and you can find their plans and their boatbuilding book online, or probably in libraries. They also had a plan for a 20 foot proa canoe. They used that hull over and over in a variety of projects.

1/4" ply, which is the most likely material for a flat panel boat this size, is about 30-40 pounds a sheet, and would add 100 pounds just for the wood. the Weight will add up.

Nothing is more common than a boat features list that has a lot of interesting and reasonable sounding parts, and for which no boat actually exists that will fit it. But there are usually a lot of boats out there that claim that they do. Nowhere is this worse than in small multis. They are not just large multis scaled down. I have said it twice...

If I was building a boat that was sorta what you want to build, and would actually work, it would be a Farrier 18. But I wouldn't built that today. I would be tempted to build a Scarab 18. Plans are 100 bucks and the end result would be something you could sell, so over time it would cheaper than building something less well thought out.

I have had consistently bad luck trying to nail a boat to a social obligation. And I have tried. Ends up the kids aren't interested, the girfriend wants a horse, etc... I have learned to be entirely selfish. What boat do I want for the next while.

Lee,

I know of a Farrier 18 which has never been completed. The current owner just died, his widow needs to sell it.
    Amas are complete, the Main hull is framed but not planked.
    Both were done in West system. Planking is a part of the package.
    Cross arms are not built, but the folding mechanism is complete but not assembled.
    A trailer is available - it was used to bring all the components from Oregon. It used to be mine for a Tornado catamaran 20+ years ago. New tires.

If you have any interest, I can contact the lady.

Marc

During Covid, Dudley Dix beavered away turning his Paperjet into a trimaran...

More pictures on his facebook stream...

https://www.facebook.com/DudleyDixYachtDesign/

Thanks so much again guys for all the advice. I wish I could just take off and start building right now. The itch hasn't been scratched in almost a year. But, I gotta finish my masters degree, and my son needs to get his jeep out of my boat building garage.

upchurchmr - I really appreciate the offer to help broker a deal on the Farrier, but I can't swing a trip to Texas right now.

Tomcat - Sound advice. Duly noted about being selfish on my next boat. Now you have me wondering if I want to be selfish about a boat right now, or wait until the next one. I don't know what the stressfoam method is. I will have to read up on it. You have a link to some good instruction?

Edward - Now you have me thinking also. I saw a video on Dudley's facebook about a race to Alaska. The sailboat had four oarsmen. I am pretty sure they knew what they were doing cause I noticed they feathered their oar blades with each back stroke. Maybe setting some oarlocks on some amas and stowing oars aboard would be a lot better when becalmed than a single paddle, hmmmmmmm...

I was going to go sailing this weekend, but the honey-do list wouldn't let go of me. Maybe next week!

For a detailed Information you can download the famous Gougeon Brothers Book for free: "The Gougeon Brothers On Boat Construction". Beside all (and I mean "all") information on how to use Epoxy and modern wood construction techniques you will find a detailed discription about compounded plywood construction and design (Sressform, tortured plywood).

https://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/GougeonBook-061205-1.pdf

Have fun, Michel