Thread: Removing Westerbeke/JS Reverse Gear Coupler

Default Removing Westerbeke/JS Reverse Gear Coupler

I'd like to remove the reverse coupler plate for re-facing from my Westerbeke 20B-two with a JS transmission. As you can see from the photo, the nut is locked by a keeper ring which has been bent into a notch in the shaft. I hope that there is an elegant strategy for releasing the nut rather than hammering on the keeper ring with a screwdriver and risk damaging the transmission gears. Please educate me!50C0C502-E6F2-44B6-B584-67E425406494_1_105_c.jpg

Default Re: Removing Westerbeke/JS Reverse Gear Coupler

They hammered it in without damaging anything, so you can hammer it out. But please make a drift, rather than abusing a screwdriver.
    Putting a dolly (big heavy hammer) against the edge of the flange to absorb the shock will be helpful, but will require a second pair of hands.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Default Re: Removing Westerbeke/JS Reverse Gear Coupler

I would just put an impact gun on there and spin it off. It won't do anymore damage then buggering the threads with a drift.I have done this more than once with no ill effects. If you are really concerned use a wee 1/8" burr and grind the material out of the slot.
    (This is a pretty common locking technique and the shaft is harder then the nut)