Thread: Is anyone currently building/sailing a Caledonia Yawl in the south of England / UK ?

Question Is anyone currently building/sailing a Caledonia Yawl in the south of England / UK ?

Hi, I'd be interested in ideas or general do's and dont's. Or even a sail together sometime!

Default Re: Is anyone currently building/sailing a Caledonia Yawl in the south of England / U

I'm in Australia which probably a bit far South............... Have you had a look at Off Center Harbor website and the videos made by Geoff Kerr - he goes into real detail and shows you how to build a CY step by step.

Other thing worth doing is to buy the books by Iain Oughtred, Greg Rossel and John Brooks/Ruth.

Good Luck Neil

Default Re: Is anyone currently building/sailing a Caledonia Yawl in the south of England / U

I've got the slightly smaller sister - Ness Yawl here in South Wales, near Swansea, and really loving her. Sails super well on a balanced lug sail. Only done one season on her sand hoping to get out on some longer trips next year.
    might be a bit far, but Be great to hook up one day!

Hi, Thanks for getting back, I do plan to get her trailed around when shes finally built, so may try to catch up with you. Currently further behind than I'd hoped. Originally hoped to be sailing this year but now looks like it will be next summer. Shaping thwarts/benches at the moment had hoped to have all the spars built by now but recently a grandparent, so finding myself on unexpected babysitting duties!
    Has yours got a mizzen? Did you build the Ness Yawl yourself?

Hey there!
    Nope to both questions...
    No mizzen, just a simple lug sail, and I didn't build her. Bought her a few years ago, did a few bits of work and finally got on the water this year - sails amazingly, and now looking to explore further afield over the next few years!
    Burry_Port_Sailing.jpg

NY1.jpg

I'm always so impressed at people building their own boats, so best of luck and be great to see a few pics of your progress!

Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the pics. She looks beautiful.....traditionally built with larch and frames I see, Mine is Ply and epoxy without frames, I'll get some pics together for you soon. Happy New Year

Larch plywood perhaps?