Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Has there been a thread on our new national religion?

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Has there been a thread on our new national religion?

Michael Flynn, former national security adviser in the Trump administration, on Saturday said the United States should have a single religion.

"If we are going to have one nation under God, which we must, we have to have one religion," he said while speaking on the "ReAwaken America" tour Saturday night. "One nation under God and one religion under God."

Default Re: Has there been a thread on our new national religion?

Dominionist, then? Something in favor of a good, strong monarch?

Wow. That is completely contradictory to our constitution.

Rather obvious isn't it?..... The god of the USA is money. No more needs to be said......
    but feel free to elaborate because freedom ( whatever that is ) is high up on the list of priorities so we are told!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

I'm all for it. Lets go with Atheism.

Quote Originally Posted by garland reese View Post
    Wow. That is completely contradictory to our constitution.
    so is trump
    hell, so is the gop
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

"If you can keep it……….."

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    so is trump
    hell, so is the gop
    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    "If you can keep it……….."
    Ayup
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Michael Flynn, former national security adviser in the Trump administration, on Saturday said the United States should have a single religion.

"If we are going to have one nation under God, which we must, we have to have one religion," he said while speaking on the "ReAwaken America" tour Saturday night. "One nation under God and one religion under God."
    Did he mention any god in particular?

Seriously, though, does he know anything about Bloody Mary?

Is this the point where I mention the television commercial for the 'Freedom from Religion Foundation' (no affiliation) , narrated by Ron Reagan ? The commercial ends as he says " not afraid to burn in H*ll "

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Flynn is stark raving mad...has been for years.

The US of A cannot even agree on one form of Christianity, so how are you going to choose one of the 2500?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

No one should go through high school without a course dedicated to the entire constitution.

Those who wave it the highest, have not read it. Same is true, I believe, with the Bible.

Trump, IMO, had read neither.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    No one should go through high school without a course dedicated to the entire constitution.
    I am reminded of a quote from one of the Darwin vs God threads.
    Someone quoted a Fundy college student studying biology who said that once he had graduated and been awarded his piece of paper, he intended to unlearn everything that he had been taught about evolution.
    You can drive a horse to water, but you cannot make it think.

Know the difference between a Christian and an atheist? The Christian doesn’t believe in 2499 gods, the atheist doesn’t believe in only one more.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    . . . he intended to unlearn everything that he had been taught about evolution. You can drive a horse to water, but you cannot make it think.
    The physical world does not care in the slightest what you believe.

I don't think I really have the vocabulary to do justice to what I think of Mr. Flynn.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

What humans believe, or not, won't save them from eventual extinction.

Many years ago I did a course in "Comparitive Religions". I was/ am a fairly liberal New Englander ( I lived 15 miles from Cambridge, Mass) and had friends who were Protestants, Jews, Catholics, Baptists, Episcoplians even. The course was an eye opener. Should be mandatory study for everyone. Remember, just because you read Mein Kampf you're not necessarily a Nazi.

The problem with religion is those who believe in their particular religion seem to want to force it upon everyone else.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

The problem with religion is those who believe in their particular religion ,who seem to want to force it upon everyone else.
    A minor 'touch-up' John, but I otherwise believe you are 'spot-on'

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    A minor 'touch-up' John, but I otherwise believe you are 'spot-on'

Rick
    Perhaps, although part of all religions appears to be spreading the word. I suppose not all of a faith feel that way.

One nice thing about atheists, is none of them have ever knocked on my door and tried to sell me their product.

Personally, I am the world's first, and perhaps only, "Irrelvantist". If God exists, but does not keep people safe inside a church, mosque, etc., he is not relevant. The very least a loving, caring God would do is render the gun inoperable inside a house built to worship Him. He could make the church fireproof.

I am told by religiously inclined friends that he does not do these things because He never gets involved in the affairs of humans. Yet, those who tell me this often pray for Him to do just that.

^ Agreed, John, even as a young boy, I wondered at those folks 'praying for an "A" ' , as if any deity had time to deal with such an insignificant issue . .

Rick

What attracted me to Buddhism and other "eastern" thought, when I was young, was that they do not ask you to join their respective "club" - you are not made to feel guilty if you do not believe as they do, etc
    I saw / heard the Dalai Lama do a talk some years ago in Pittsburgh, his best comment was, when asked, how do we take your teachings out into our daily lives? - he said.....while laughing heartily - "stop try so hard - just go be good humans!" - love that!

He is a symptom of the very dangerous infiltration, particularly in the Air Force, of religious fanatics. I would purge them all.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

The whole point of religion is to foster tribalism and make the masses easier to oppress.

The problem with religion is those who believe in their particular religion seem to want to force it upon everyone else.
    Religion is the biggest pyramid scam ever created.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Perhaps, although part of all religions appears to be spreading the word. I suppose not all of a faith feel that way.

One nice thing about atheists, is none of them have ever knocked on my door and tried to sell me their product.

Personally, I am the world's first, and perhaps only, "Irrelvantist". If God exists, but does not keep people safe inside a church, mosque, etc., he is not relevant. The very least a loving, caring God would do is render the gun inoperable inside a house built to worship Him. He could make the church fireproof.

I am told by religiously inclined friends that he does not do these things because He never gets involved in the affairs of humans. Yet, those who tell me this often pray for Him to do just that.
    I agree that evangelicals, for any belief system, are tedious and annoying. Including those who attempt to push us toward Atheism. Maybe Atheists don't knock on your door (very few religions proselytize that way)... but I've certainly see a lot of social media posts pushing that belief system. Including here. Even on this very thread.

"part of all religions appears to be spreading the word" would be incorrect. There have already been posts here pointing that out.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

One thing I cannot understand. Today we can find a video a man walking on water, and we know it's a trick. We see magicians do the impossible. We don't know how they do it, but we know it's a trick.

Thousands of years ago, these could well be seen as miracles. But today?

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I agree that evangelicals, for any belief system, are tedious and annoying. Including those who attempt to push us toward Atheism. Maybe Atheists don't knock on your door (very few religions proselytize that way)... but I've certainly see a lot of social media posts pushing that belief system. Including here. Even on this very thread.

"part of all religions appears to be spreading the word" would be incorrect. There have already been posts here pointing that out.
    Atheism is not a belief system.
    Maybe you should to something about your social media. I certainly see no such posts.

Atheism is not a belief system.

Maybe you should to something about your social media. I certainly see no such posts.
    'Not a belief system'. I suppose one could make that argument. But you'd be quibbling. And very possibly wrong. From Merriam - Webster (sounds like belief system to me) --

a) lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

b) a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

But regardless... and whatever your social media looks like... I don't think you can deny that people proselytize for atheism. Post #5 here argued for it for example. And often just as vehemently as the most devout Christian Evangelical.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

^ Not believing in something is as much a belief as not collecting stamps is a hobby. Atheism is a lack of belief. Lack of belief cannot equate to belief.
    Edited to add.
    Thanks for clarifying
    Even on this very thread.
    Although, post#5 is hardly a strong argument, just an expression of a desire.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 11-17-2021 at 05:16 PM.

On the issue of evangelical Atheists, there are perhaps two surviving famous ones. The most vocal is less worried about some (deluded ) belief system, but the inhumanity to our fellow man that some religious belief systems cause.

^ Not believing in something is as much a belief as not collecting stamps is a hobby. Atheism is a lack of belief. Lack of belief cannot equate to belief.

Edited to add.

Thanks for clarifying

Although, post#5 is hardly a strong argument, just an expression of a desire.
    Yes, #5 is a mild comment. But still 'advocating' for a position. A specific position. Not a non-Christian religious position. Not a position of agnosticism. Atheism. Not 'aggressive' proselytizing... but not just stating a personal choice, either.

That's (stamps) a faulty analogy. I know atheists like to stake out that territory, but I call 'Sophistry'.

The issue dividing theists from atheists is gods. Theists believe they exist. Atheists believe they don't.

If you want the middle ground, you want the Agnostics. They don't actively believe that gods exist, not to they actively believe that gods don't exist. They carry it as an open question. Their 'belief system' is that we don't know (and likely can't know)... at least to their own personal satisfaction and level of surety,
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Yes, #5 is a mild comment. But still 'advocating' for a position. A specific position. Not a non-Christian religious position. Not a position of agnosticism. Atheism. Not 'aggressive' proselytizing... but not just stating a personal choice, either.

That's (stamps) a faulty analogy. I know atheists like to stake out that territory, but I call 'Sophistry'.

The issue dividing theists from atheists is gods. Theists believe they exist. Atheists believe they don't.

If you want the middle ground, you want the Agnostics. They don't actively believe that gods exist, not to they actively believe that gods don't exist. They carry it as an open question. Their 'belief system' is that we don't know (and likely can't know)... at least to their own personal satisfaction and level of surety,
    We do not believe they don't. Religious belief is a Faith,
    • faith
      noun
      noun: faith
    • 1.complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
      • "this restores one's faith in politicians"

2. strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.
      "bereaved people who have shown supreme faith"
    I know, I am certain, that there is no god, there is no proof that gods exist, the hypothesis is not falsifiable, whereas scientific enquiry answers the questions that gods were invented to answer.

There is nothing at all wrong with the "not a hobby" analogy. How can you see into my mind ant tell me that I have a "Belief"
    • belief
      noun
      noun: belief; plural noun: beliefs
    • 1.an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially one without proof.
      • "his belief in extraterrestrial life"
        • something one accepts as true or real; a firmly held opinion.
          "we're prepared to fight for our beliefs"

a religious conviction.

"Christian beliefs"
    when I am certain that I do not?

I used to think that I was agnostic, until debates on here caused me to think it through, and climb down off the fence.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 11-17-2021 at 06:08 PM.

We do not believe they don't. Religious belief is a Faith, I know, I am certain, that there is no god, there is no proof that gods exist, the hypothesis is not falsifiable, whereas scientific enquiry answers the questions that gods were invented to answer.

There is nothing at all wrong with the "not a hobby" analogy. How can you see into my mind ant tell me that I have a "Belief" when I am certain that I do not? I used to think that I was agnostic, until debates on here caused me to think it through, and climb down off the fence.
    You assert that there is no god. Yet you say the proposition is not falsifiable, meaning that you cannot prove there is no god. Your belief that there is no god is a non-provable belief about god.

An agnostic like myself says there is no proof god exists or does not exist, and it is quite possible that no proof either way is possible. This is a belief about epistemology that becomes a belief about god.