Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John B
    • Aug 2000

Re: Dodger design

Yes , I feel your pain.... moving my primary winches aft was a priority for me and I may have even done that a couple or few years before building the dodger.
    One reason was the same as your issue, the other was they were out of reach for a two handed or single . Old fashioned big crew boat always dependent on 4 or 6 people aboard. hahhaha, like that happens these days.

Comment

• RFNK
      Port Stephens, Australia
      • Feb 2007

This bloody dodger's a'gonna be the death o' me... I've spent the last week frigging rather than rigging, in between showers of rain. We've had enough for a while .... please!!

Aaanyway, I found this picture in an old book. I think this is a really nice dodger, even though it's probably a doghouse.

IMG_20221024_072729522.jpg

One of the nice features of Masina is the curved coaming that sweeps across the cabin and then forms the cockpit sides. I'm reluctant to spoil that. But I also want a functional dodger. I want to use flat glass windows at the front and probably the sides. The problem with that is matching flat glass panels to curved coaming. It comes down to two choices: I either flatten the curve by running the three forward panels forward of the coaming or I continue with curved panels and form flat housing for the glass panels ... yuck!

So, here's some shots of deliberational activity:

IMG_20221023_120331965_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20221023_121140893.jpg

The blue sticks are set up to show the forward angle and also to bring the dodger a little forward of the coaming, to flatten the curve. In effect, the front of the dodger sits forward of the coaming and then leaps onto the top of the coaming as it becomes the cockpit sides. By reducing the width of the glass panels, I'm hoping I can shape the 'posts' between the windows to roughly follow the curves.
      Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• RFNK
        Port Stephens, Australia
        • Feb 2007

Here's a rough drawing of the coaming from above. Note the offset companionway.

IMG_20221024_071907549.jpg
        Rick

Comment

• Priscilla
          • Jan 2016

That black and white is almost Rhodes like. Cicero another Thunderhead had to my eye a great fixed dodger come doghouse.
          Actually it was open to the cockpit so I guess not a doghouse.
          IMG_20221024_072729522.jpgrhodes-aluminium-classic-50-06225070141852546653676752504557x.jpg

Comment

• RFNK
            Port Stephens, Australia
            • Feb 2007

That photo of mine is actually Thunderhead, from a book by Besler. So yes, a Rhodes design.
            Rick

Comment

• Larks
              Larks
              • Jul 2007

Would you consider getting an estimate on curved glass? You might be surprised how affordable it can be, I’ve had to order some for a few different commercial projects in the past - all they really do is cut a sheet of flat glass to shape, drape it over a mould and cook it until it sags over the mould.
              Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
              “It’s risky”, said experience.
              “It’s pointless”, said reason.
              “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• Priscilla
                • Jan 2016

Going to ask a silly question ,what does the fixed dodger achieve that a standard folding one doesn't apart from present a huge aesthetic challenge.
                I can see the reason in a larger craft but isn't your boat this ones sister.
                There is such a real sense of space achieved in a modest sized craft being able to fold a dodger down we reduced ours to the bare minimum so as not to impede companionway access and standing at the helm the forward view was not impeded.

IMG_3287.jpgIMG_5220.jpg

Comment

• RFNK
                  Port Stephens, Australia
                  • Feb 2007

Hi Greg, yes, I have considered it and it's a good suggestion. I want the middle panel to be able to be opened so that's easier if it's flat and not too big. So it would leave the two outer ones curved, and that would have advantages. My friend David tried to get curved glass for his recent boat build but found it difficult and expensive, and hard to replicate if necessary, at reasonable cost. I think if I end up using curved panels, I'll probably go with polycarb or acrylic, and just replace it every so often. In the first instance, though, I want to see if we can make flat, glass panels work as that's the simplest, lowest maintenance option. I think.
                  Rick

Comment

• RFNK
                    Port Stephens, Australia
                    • Feb 2007

Why a hard dodger? After two soft dodgers, we found we never folded them down, the clear screens don't last, the canvas deteriorates, they're not solid in rough conditions, they're not very weatherproof, you can't stand on them, you can't attach a thing to them etc. We always want rain and sun protection.
                    Rick

Comment

• Priscilla
                      • Jan 2016

Get your point about “clears” we did have a removable panel to add some longevity.
                      Halberg Rassy 35 Rasmus may well be worth looking at.
                      Aluminium can be curved however if you are thinking of relocating your main sheet to the dodger top it would require some extra thought.
                      BFA48003-ACA0-4192-8078-7F8A59AB7E17.jpg
                      Last edited by Priscilla; 10-24-2022, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• John B
                        • Aug 2000

Guava Jelly was the Rasmus we met up with in Minerva reef in 2011 and I've mentioned a few times in my threads. ( Actually he was one of the visitors who stayed with us at our house after Nina was lost). Cool and inexpensive boat that Rick just sailed all over the pacific. Seattle to Savusavu.

Comment

• RFNK
                          Port Stephens, Australia
                          • Feb 2007

Yes, they're quite nice dodgers. I'm not planning to move the mainsheet onto the dodger although I will be converting the traveller to a two or even three point setup something like the twin point setup in that first HR35. Those dodgers have a 3 flat panel windscreen arrangement. Looks nice and traditional, I think.

John (Johnno) has sent me a conceptual drawing of a system whereby I'd have the 3fp windscreen built from - whatever (I'll use glassed foam) but the roof and sides are supported by SS tube. So rather than supporting the rear overhang with box-type construction, there are SS posts forming a rear hoop frame. The other SS tube is a hoop frame behind the windscreen. It's a sort of modular arrangement with several separate components fitted together. The 3fp screen, a grp roof, SS hoop frames and detachable clears at the sides and rear. John referred me to the Tartarooga website https://tartarooga.com/gallery/ which shows some ideas on integrating handrails into the SS frame and roof setup.

One issue with Masina's dodger is that I can't have too much camber. The dodger needs to be fairly low to fit under the boom and Masina has an offset companionway. This means I can't take the dodger roof down at the sides very much or there just won't be enough room to wriggle down into the cabin. Some people find it awkward even without the dodger, due to the low boom.
                          Rick

Comment

• John B
                            • Aug 2000

Interesting. Tartarooga is what I've been calling the Califorinia style dodger as earlier in the thread.
                            Its subjective but , as much angle forward even if its a trick of the eye ,makes for the best looking dodgers to me. I had much angst over that same issue.

Comment

• RFNK
                              Port Stephens, Australia
                              • Feb 2007

Okay, a bit more progress on the mock-up

IMG_20221030_103314698_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221030_103338656.jpg
                              Rick

Comment

• RFNK
                                Port Stephens, Australia
                                • Feb 2007

IMG_20221030_103359275.jpg

The roof won't be this long. It's already been cut off to about where the clear is between the winches. Tomorrow I'll put some sides on it. After that, work out the shapes of the windows. The height is roughly 150mm below the boom. It's comfortable enough and is about the same as the old dodger.
                                Last edited by RFNK; 10-30-2022, 05:08 AM.
                                Rick

Comment

Working...