Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Penobscot 13 Build

Default Re: Penobscot 13 Build

Boat looks great!

Interesting choice to leave out a thwart--I take it you aren't planning on doing much rowing? Or if you are, how will you handle the lack of a permanent thwart?

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    It's looking really good!
    If you glued that centerboard case down with thickened epoxy, expect no leaks.
    Thanks Rich, I hope you are right. I did use thickened epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Boat looks great!

Interesting choice to leave out a thwart--I take it you aren't planning on doing much rowing? Or if you are, how will you handle the lack of a permanent thwart?
    The idea is for my wife and I to be in the boat, whenever we take it out. I’m not planning on doing any solo rowing. But in case I do, I have a plan to place a removable “jump” seat, aft of the daggerboard case. I’ll provide photos when its done.

The work continues, abate more slowly than I wish. More of the seating has been done, but didn’t get photos prior to flipping the boat for paint. Weather has been a problem until quite recently. (Was too cold for varnishing or paint). So far only got the transom, stem and gunwales varnished and two coats of primer on the hull. Using Interlux Pre Kote. The top strakes (on the bottom in the photo) is acrylic enamel paint. I may change the colour .. not sure at the moment. Quite pleased with the results so far.

3D716AB3-00F5-4B17-90E2-408FAA30111F.jpg

40950324-7033-4248-978F-2A82D010C330.jpg

Got the hull painted with 2 coats of Brightside matternhorn white. Peeling off painters tape seems to be one of the more satisfying aspects of the build. I don’t know why …. it just brings on a smile.

88DE57EF-E6D4-4EC1-B888-47984D0B6099.jpg

9987E238-9C47-454A-B66B-8100B3EC6F77.jpg

Flipped once more to finish varnishing the transom, breasthook, stem and rails. Getting close to being done …. Except for making the mast, rudder, rigging …. OK … not so close ..

BE21B838-AE2A-4212-9BE9-E3F103F4B5C2.jpg

7BBFBB4F-BEA3-4701-AB90-C86C849429A9.jpg

Looking good!

You might have said earlier and I forgot, but have you picked your sail plan and how are you going to acquire the sail(s)? And are you going to put in oar locks? What will be your cleat style and arrangement? Most important, does she have a name?

Quote Originally Posted by dt123 View Post
    Looking good!

You might have said earlier and I forgot, but have you picked your sail plan and how are you going to acquire the sail(s)? And are you going to put in oar locks? What will be your cleat style and arrangement? Most important, does she have a name?
    Definitely leaning towards the lug sail plan … and get a sailmaker to make it. I looked into doing it myself, but a kit is not available in Canada (at least I can’t find one) and ordering from the USA with exchange rate, shipping & duty cost … works out about the same as having it made here. Ordering materiel and doing it myself is beyond my confidence level.

Oarlocks are going in at the bow station. Not putting them in midship. As for cleat style …. I don’t know what that is …..rigging arrangement? If so, I know there’s a few choices, but not knowledgable enough at this time to say what I would do.

The name of the boat? …. Still thinking about it … how about, “ Time well Spent”

Hi Kunz,
    That is a very nice looking boat you are creating.
    I like that outer laminate at the forefoot shown in post #74.
    You are doing a fine job, some nice neat work going on there.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

"Don't take life seriously. Either way, you won't make it out alive."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Hi Kunz,
    That is a very nice looking boat you are creating.
    I like that outer laminate at the forefoot shown in post #74.
    You are doing a fine job, some nice neat work going on there.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    I consider this high praise coming from you …. thanks! I have been marvelling at your build over the last year .. that is some impressive work and very creative.

Your boat is looking great!!!!

I should be painting in a couple weeks. Exciting stuff!

I missed this thread so far!
    Very nice build and beautiful color scheme.
    Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

http://www.goelette-anthea.fr

Quote Originally Posted by Rapelapente View Post
    I missed this thread so far!
    Very nice build and beautiful color scheme.
    Thank you, Gerard. I got lucky on the colour scheme. It just worked out quite pleasing. At one point I had considered black, but I think the white looks better.
    Last edited by Kunzwerks; 08-02-2022 at 03:44 PM.

By cleat "style" I meant the type and material of the cleats. They come in modern and more traditional shapes, several of each, and in brass, bronze, stainless, chrome, or black nylon. Or make your own out of wood. They come in 3, 4 and 5 inch sizes, for the ones you might use, and it is totally up to you where to attach them and how many to have. Since when you attach one you are drilling into your beautifully finished woodwork, you will want to be really sure you will like what you did after. You want to have enough in the right places and not too many. You could have none if you never intend to dock the boat or anchor off the stern. If you put in a bow eye, you might not need a cleat at the bow. I spent a lot of time looking at, and not liking, what other people had done before committing to my cleat scheme.

By cleat "style" I meant the type and material of the cleats. They come in modern and more traditional shapes, several of each, and in brass, bronze, stainless, chrome, or black nylon. Or make your own out of wood. They come in 3, 4 and 5 inch sizes, for the ones you might use, and it is totally up to you where to attach them and how many to have. Since when you attach one you are drilling into your beautifully finished woodwork, you will want to be really sure you will like what you did after. You want to have enough in the right places and not too many. You could have none if you never intend to dock the boat or anchor off the stern. If you put in a bow eye, you might not need a cleat at the bow. I spent a lot of time looking at, and not liking, what other people had done before committing to my cleat scheme.
    I hear you. I do have a couple black nylon cleats, but I also plan on making some wooden ones. As to how many and where they go, I need to give it some more thought. This ties into the rigging layout and I’m not up to speed on this, yet.

Seating is done and interior finished. Floatation bags are positioned under the seats fore and aft. Together, they provide about 200lbs of buoyancy. If I find I need more, I can use the space under the side seating area.

5C0285B0-A39F-4349-B581-4088C62AA84A.jpg

There’s quite a bit of information on what bedding compound to use for securing hardware, but I decided that some closed cell foam about 1/8” thick, should work for the oar locks. A strip of self adhesive rubber keeps the oar lock from rubbing against the hull in the down position.

2CCA9FAC-6948-4EA1-96A9-1E01DB6D3611.jpg 2B04BC29-BF06-4003-8260-24493D73706A.jpg

As mentioned in an earlier post, I chose not to have a centre thwart, but did make a removable seat in case (one day) I decide to do solo rowing. I would need to install another set of oar locks, too. The seat uses a sliding connector (from Lee Valley) that allows easy removal. I’m not planning on using it when sailing.

755440E8-84E2-4C81-A17F-CE5C0A0C6DF5.jpg

40C9171A-F1BA-44F7-A37F-DB10827F4161.jpg

Starting on the oars. Cutting up some yellow cedar and marking out the spoon shape of the blade. Wish I could visit Shaw & Tenney to see how they do it ….

F742A242-E788-44B4-BDC6-98F24718CB01.jpg

BEB5A0E2-6323-4073-8E52-6E83F0484A42.jpg

Very nice work! I ordered a lug sail for my shellback from sailrite and it was still about half price or less than having one made here. A good experience too as I am more aware of their construction and feel more comfortable doing repairs, additions, modifications of other sails etc.

Make sure the sailmaker you choose has experience with lugsails. My Gartside 130 had a lugsail made here in BC by a reputable maker who was unaware of how they should be constructed. The general comment from those who knew was that the only thing the sailmaker got right was the outside shape. Lot's of unnecessary detail and I had to add some extremely necessay reenforcing to the luff etc.
    I actually might get a sailrite kit for that boat in the future so I'm sure I have something good and designed properly.

Where can you get a sail made for the same price as a sailrite kit in BC? I'd be interested!

Lug sails are great in my opinion, and your build is beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Kunzwerks View Post
    Starting on the oars. Cutting up some yellow cedar and marking out the spoon shape of the blade. Wish I could visit Shaw & Tenney to see how they do it ….

F742A242-E788-44B4-BDC6-98F24718CB01.jpg

BEB5A0E2-6323-4073-8E52-6E83F0484A42.jpg
    I've been on the S&T website. Seems like I remember watching a video of them making their oars. Might pick up a tip or two. Yours are looking nice so far. And your boat is beautiful!!!! How nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Toxophilite View Post
    Where can you get a sail made for the same price as a sailrite kit in BC? I'd be interested!
    Thanks for your comments. My quote came from Leitch and McBride Sailmakers in Sidney, BC. www.leitchandmcbride.com
    The price was close (taking into account exchange rate, shipping, duty) and considering I would have to buy a sewing machine, bits and bobs, and spend time making it …. the savings were not going to be worth it to me.

Who made the Gartside 130 sail for you?
    Last edited by Kunzwerks; 08-14-2022 at 12:58 AM.

It wasn't Leitch and McBride. They used to have a loft in North Van, but no longer.
    I got a couple of quotes locally for the shellback sail but they all seemed to be in the $6-700 range for a 56 Sq ft sail with a reef.
    The Gartside came with the rig. I've just been tweaking and 'repairing' it.
    I imagine Leitch and Mcbride know they're stuff. I'll have to see what they charge for a 68 sq ft lug

I was lucky to be able to borrow my friend's sailrite machine, though I did buy the #2 spur grommet die set with the sail. I was going to use my Pfaff before I realized I could use my friend's sailrite unit. Shipping has also shot up lately too.

I hope you get sailing soon. I was ogling a Penobscot 13 that was for sale on one of the gulf islands a while back. Just out of my price range but a fine looking boat.

"I chose not to have a centre thwart"

Is the centre thwart optional on the plans for the 13?

"I chose not to have a centre thwart"

Is the centre thwart optional on the plans for the 13?
    No such option. Plans lay out a traditional thwart build.

I'll have to see what they charge for a 68 sq ft lug
    They quoted me $725 for a 69 sq. ft. Lugsail. Maybe we should team up to see if we can get a better price.

Sailrite's quote on a 68 sq ft sail (mind you with 3 battens and one reef) is $304US plus 61 shipping which comes out to about $465 Can.
    I can see how if you didn't have access to a strong machine (industrial or older all metal domestic) then that, plus buying a spur grommet die kit, might not be worth the savings. For an extra 1.5 - 2 hundred difference it's probably worth having it all done for you, professionally.sa

Sailrite's quote on a 68 sq ft sail (mind you with 3 battens and one reef) is $304US plus 61 shipping which comes out to about $465 Can.
    I can see how if you didn't have access to a strong machine (industrial or older all metal domestic) then that, plus buying a spur grommet die kit, might not be worth the savings. For an extra 1.5 - 2 hundred difference it's probably worth having it all done for you, professionally.sa
    Have to agree. There’s probably duty charges as well .. I estimated $50 ( could be wildly out) and my time to sew it all together. I have tried to economize here and there on the boat build, but I feel better just having the sail made (hopefully done right).

Continuing on with shaping the oar shafts. Marked out lines using a spar gauge (7- 10-7 ratio) so that my rectangular stock can be planed down into an octagon. From there I just planed down the high edges until it was reasonably round. Sanding with 80 grit strips of sandpaper did the final shaping. I started trimming the handles using a hand saw and chisel, but it was not going well. So I used my router table with a box core bit (shaped like half a ball) set at height for the materiel to be removed. Positioned the fence half the thickness of the shaft away from the centre of the bit. By holding the shaft against the table top and the fence, I advanced the shaft into the bit and rotated the shaft all the way round to get a nice curved transition from handle to shaft.

A2F0E1D0-12B4-45D9-8EDA-1F655302D8B2.jpg 55573CBA-7328-44AB-BA4C-FF3C19B2AD05.jpg B661B3C0-2991-4E2B-A198-800421E909A0.jpg

With the oar shafts done, the blade was glued up with the pre-cut curved side pieces. Overall width at this stage is about 5” and blade length is 24”. The centre part was cut away to match the blade curve and then a contrasting piece is glued into a rabbet at the blade tip. The blade is sanded down with a random orbit sander.

7DD4136E-1870-44CA-ABA8-8B647B741FA5.jpg 59681B57-6129-4FF0-8968-3656EA420CFD.jpg

I made up a template to draw out the blade shape and cut away the excess. With the front of the blade done, I started shaping the back of the blade.

E7F2744E-7146-4D15-9C8F-A4507634D642.jpg DB2B9BBB-ED2C-4D76-9549-65F60DEA1FEB.jpg

It took a lot more time to finish the backs of the blades. The blade edges still need to be rounded, but they are essentially done. Final blade width is 4.5” at the widest point …. 4” at the tip.

3D401DD4-ABF6-44E5-9864-CB254E52D020.jpg

42F73EAF-4DA0-4EAC-9FD3-AF7D0AA78155.jpg

Very impressive! Wish mine turned out as nice. May have to go back and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by dalekidd View Post
    Very impressive! Wish mine turned out as nice. May have to go back and try again.
    Thanks dadekidd. The sense of satisfaction is on par with completing the boat. I might be giving S&T a run for their money.

Fantastic oars!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.