Thread: Plumbing Repair Question

Default Plumbing Repair Question

Today, while cleaning the dryer hose, I noticed that we have a crack in the PVC waste piping leaving the house. It appears to be about 2" long in a 4 way junction piece, where three waste pipes meet and join the exiting pipe, diameter is about 6" OD.
    My impulse is to get some epoxy putty at the hardware store (I've used it on cast iron before, It was two sticks that you cut the amount you wanted and kneaded them together.) and reef out the crack a little, flush it with water, then acetone, and smash the putty in.
    Advice, critiques, ridicule?
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Plumbing Repair Question

I presume it'll get replaced "someday"? There's nothing quite so permanent...

I think your approach will work, though I'd rough up the pipe around the crack with maybe 80 grit. Some epoxies aren't great on PVC. I'd do a test piece that you can bang on & also take from hot to cold & bang some more.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Epoxy wont stick. Don't really know what will...perhaps one of the many flavors of JB Weld?

That said, filling the crack will contain liquids and odor but wont likely restore structural integrity to that section of pipe. (Of course, filling with goop might just last forever and might likely be my first approach, depending...)

Reefing the crack out my result in a much bigger crack because PVC can be brittle. Be careful

Replacing the fitting is really not that hard.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Wrap it with glass tape, and impregnate...or use self amalgamating tape. You don't say what passes through the pipe nor the likely temperatures, both factors for a successful repair.

IU would drill each end of the crack to stop it running. Then glue a patch of PVC pipe on with PVC weld glue.
    Pictures would be good so that we can see how complex the shape is.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

duct tape
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

As Breakaway suggested, Epoxy won't stick
    6" is pretty big, more likely it is 4"
    Plastic,or iron, just cut it out and cripple a new section in using rubber connectors. That will last as long as the pipe. I might be tempted to use some sealant (sikaflex/5200, or permatex maybe) in the coupling to avoid having to overtighten the clamps.
    Over-tightening the clamps might crack the pipe and we are dealing with poop here.
    Don't ask me how I know this might crack the pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Epoxy wont stick. Don't really know what will...perhaps one of the many flavors of JB Weld?

That said, filling the crack will contain liquids and odor but wont likely restore structural integrity to that section of pipe. (Of course, filling with goop might just last forever and might likely be my first approach, depending...)

Reefing the crack out my result in a much bigger crack because PVC can be brittle. Be careful

Replacing the fitting is really not that hard.

Kevin

A four way 4” PVC fitting? With the other ends of the four sections of pipe already fixed in place? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    A four way 4 PVC fitting? With the other ends of the four sections of pipe already fixed in place? Really?
    I missed that... Ugh
    thought it was just next to it!
    Sorry
    Look here: https://upgradedhome.com/repair-a-ha...k-in-pvc-pipe/

Even the smallest hairline crack in a PVC pipe can lead to major problems down the line, and it requires your immediate attention. PVC pipes are durable, but hairline cracks can grow into bigger problems, but luckily a little bit of PVC glue can fix that problem. Between sanding the pipe down and patching the crack with glue, lets see how you can easily fix the hairline crack in your PVC pipe...

check the link for a bit more...

And what I might do is: cut a length of PVC pipe long enough to cover the crack, section lengthwise a piece out of it to serve as a patch and then using a heat gun soften it until it will conform to the existing pipe clamp it up,with zip ties until it cools (3 minutes) Then use PVC cleaner than cement liberally both pieces and hold it in place with more zip ties. That should be a permenant repair.
    About 200f should work (I have heard that judicious use of a micwave works well to soften pvc to a moldable condition if your wife is not home. Wear gloves )
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 11-08-2021 at 05:41 PM.

Originally Posted by StevenBauer

A four way 4” PVC fitting? With the other ends of the four sections of pipe already fixed in place? Really?
    Sure. Ever use a slip fix?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I think the crack is in the center of the fitting. If it's hairline, just PVC glue may work.

Article on using epoxy: https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php...ic-with-epoxy/

First,I would get a scrap of pipe and the proper glue( pvc or abs or conversion).
    With a saw or coarse sander, make some dust or shavings by making cuts on the pipe.
    Mix the shavings with a small amount of the glue, to make a stiff paste
    Apply with a stiff brush or putty knife.

I've seen it done by a real plumber when the homeowner drove a screw to hang a picture.
    His stud finder found the 3" drain from upstairs.
    Since the drain ran through a 2x4 wall(3 1/2"thick) there wasn't room for a coupling.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Picture?
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

If it were in the middle of a nice straight section, it would be apiece of cake. However, it is where the female flange that provides a coupling, curves into the 1-2" of pipe leading to the 4 way intersection. Yes, it is coupled to 4 different pipes, pipes piping poop.
    I like the advice to drill anti propagation holes at either end. Perhaps instead of epoxy, I'll try PVC cement, loaded with shavings of PVC.
    Just as a BTW, the 15' dryer hose had lots of lint in it. I disconnected both ends, laid it out and sucked a toilet brush through it with the shop vacuum. The wad in the vacuum was about the size of a large house cat. We are religious about cleaning the lint trap. You all might want to check yours, the lint can be pretty flammable.
    And, thank you all for your advice.

An easy source of 'plastic' glue is gutter joint cement/weld. A test on some old plumbing should make it obvious if it's appropriate. I've used a variation of Ron's method on head plumbing as well as home.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    First,I would get a scrap of pipe and the proper glue( pvc or abs or conversion).
    With a saw or coarse sander, make some dust or shavings by making cuts on the pipe.
    Mix the shavings with a small amount of the glue, to make a stiff paste
    Apply with a stiff brush or putty knife.

I've seen it done by a real plumber when the homeowner drove a screw to hang a picture.
    His stud finder found the 3" drain from upstairs.
    Since the drain ran through a 2x4 wall(3 1/2"thick) there wasn't room for a coupling.
    R
    I like that idea.

and, of course, what Nick said.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    IU would drill each end of the crack to stop it running. Then glue a patch of PVC pipe on with PVC weld glue.
    Pictures would be good so that we can see how complex the shape is.

It's a good thing you noticed this crack while messing with the dryer hose. At least you know there's only this one simple crack and that the entire rest of the system, the parts that feed the three-way junction, is fine and not cracked and won't need any repair. It's not like the rest of the system is subject to the same age and forces that cracked the one you noticed, right? Phew, what a relief.

^^^^^^ brain poison .
    lol
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    ^^^^^^ brain poison .
    lol
    R
    'twas cruel, no?

As someone who has done a lot of PCV work during my home improvement career, I'd say go with the PVC glue first and see how it does. Scratch the crack out a bit, clean it with PVC pipe cleaner and apply the PVC glue.
    Where is the crack? On top of the pipe? Side? Bottom? Is it leaking?
    Much more chance of success if on top and you're just dealing with fumes and not liquids/poop.
    Of course, I'm sure this fitting is in the most inaccessible area possible, correct? It always works out that way!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Sure. Ever use a slip fix?

Kevin
    On a 4 way coupling? How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    On a 4 way coupling? How does that work?

You make as many of the connections as you can carefully and conventionally. The telescopic coupling provides the wiggle room needed to account for inaccuracies in cutting, measuring and assembling so you can finish the job.

I stated: Not too hard.

I did not state: Easy as pie.

Kevin

You make as many of the connections as you can carefully and conventionally. The telescopic coupling provides the wiggle room needed to account for inaccuracies in cutting, measuring and assembling so you can finish the job.

I stated: Not too hard.

I did not state: Easy as pie.

Kevin
    Telescoping fitting.... I had to goggle it. Pretty nifty gadget. Those weren't around when I was in the game years ago.
    David, let us know your progress.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

is it ABS or PVC ?
    Is it carrying gasses (vent) or liquid?

tis a dryer vent line..most likely lint and warm/hot air

Quote Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
    tis a dryer vent line..most likely lint and warm/hot air
    No - the break is in a septic pipe. He discovered the break when cleaning the dryer vent.

Self-amalgamating tape would probably work OK. Belt and braces? Do what Nick suggests in #5 then wrap around with this kind of tape to reinforce it. It's better than duct tape for that kind of job.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/self-amal...m-x-25mm/2115v
    Structures without reference to geometry tend toward the ramshackle

sorry bout that
    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    No - the break is in a septic pipe. He discovered the break when cleaning the dryer vent.

One of the solutions suggested on YouTube is GorillaWeld. Apparently an epoxy from the Gorilla glue people, that will stick to PVC and ABS pipes.
    Just FYI, the installation is only about 6 years old. The pipe opposite the crack, applying tension to the location of the crack, goes off about 3-4', then is forced down as it passes under a joist. That may be the root cause, although, I would have expected the pipe, even though 6" in diameter, to bend enough to take up the stress.

These slip compression fittings have their uses.

2C568E20-A0C6-40E9-9415-E136859C37CA.jpg
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I missed that... Ugh
    thought it was just next to it!
    Sorry
    Look here: https://upgradedhome.com/repair-a-hairline-crack-in-pvc-pipe/

Even the smallest hairline crack in a PVC pipe can lead to major problems down the line, and it requires your immediate attention. PVC pipes are durable, but hairline cracks can grow into bigger problems, but luckily a little bit of PVC glue can fix that problem. Between sanding the pipe down and patching the crack with glue, let’s see how you can easily fix the hairline crack in your PVC pipe...

check the link for a bit more...

And what I might do is: cut a length of PVC pipe long enough to cover the crack, section lengthwise a piece out of it to serve as a patch and then using a heat gun soften it until it will conform to the existing pipe clamp it up,with zip ties until it cools (3 minutes) Then use PVC cleaner than cement liberally both pieces and hold it in place with more zip ties. That should be a permenant repair.
    About 200f should work (I have heard that judicious use of a micwave works well to soften pvc to a moldable condition if your wife is not home. Wear gloves )
    that is informative mate

I'd go this route, while maybe giving the idea in #5 above some consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    As Breakaway suggested, Epoxy won't stick
    6" is pretty big, more likely it is 4"
    Plastic,or iron, just cut it out and cripple a new section in using rubber connectors. That will last as long as the pipe. I might be tempted to use some sealant (sikaflex/5200, or permatex maybe) in the coupling to avoid having to overtighten the clamps.
    Over-tightening the clamps might crack the pipe and we are dealing with poop here.
    Don't ask me how I know this might crack the pipe