Thread: It's over ten years since Chuck died...

Default It's over ten years since Chuck died...

... as I learned, incredulously, when going through some old files two days ago. (Chuck died from a heart attack on 7 March 2011, at the age of 70.)

Those who, like me, remember him, remember a thoroughly fine man and a true gentleman. We also remember his remarkably checkered career, recounted in snippets on this Forum over the course of the last few years leading up to his death -- and often prised out of him by interested enquirers who (like me) always seemed to want to hear a little more.... It was clear from his stories that he was tough, that he was a bit of a larrikin, and that he had high personal integrity and a strongly-developed moral code.

Those who have joined the forum in the last decade might sometimes have been puzzled by references to 'Chuck', 'Paladin' or 'Chuckie Bear'. By reading those forum entries we can learn about him, or nostalgically remember his doings.

I started collecting those little snippets of stories when they ere published, and put them into a text file. All the file is is a collection of copy-and-pastes from forum posts, strung together chronologically in the order in which they appeared. It may be that I missed some (I can't swear I didn't), and the file remains unformatted, unedited, and un-spell-checked. The few aside comments from posters other than Chuck have had the posters' names removed.

So here it is for anyone who's interested -- Chuck's story.
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Default Re: It's over ten years since Chuck died...

I never met him in person. But via another forumite (Jim Ledger iirc) I sent him a box full of bronze opening ports. In gratitude, he made me some teak/bronze belaying pins that are in use on Wandering Star. I always remember, and sometimes share the story of those pins. I know he never built the boat he was planning at last, I hope the ports made their way into a boat somewhere. I like to think those sailors who have passed the bar are still sailing somewhere. Maybe we will join them someday to sail again.

Ten years, wow. I read all this years ago buts it’s worth a re-read.

Amazing stories about a complicated time. Thanks for posting this.

Me too, his self depreciating stories about vietnam were fascinating and got attacked by some bozos who likely never were there.
    His extensive covering of those years, from his perspective, were a brilliant read. Along with ACB's times in Asia.

Thank you for the collection. I miss his generosity here. This collection helps.

He told me a story about what he did to a dentist who took liberties with his wife. I don't remember the details but I'm glad I wasn't the dentist.
    We exchanged a few PMs, he was a good man.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

I miss Chuck. Thanks for compiling his posts.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Yes- I miss Paladin, too. I enjoyed his stories and his well reasoned answers t osome of the Forum questions and his technical advice.
    I remember somewhere that he spoke of some time flying the Helio Stallion (U-24) in Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos. I had hoped to catch up to him, I think he was at Chesapeake Beach in those days. He was also on dialysis on a weekly basis at that tiime.
    I regret that I did not make the effort to go meet him personally while possible- I thought I might be too intrusive. Does anyone know what happened to cause his kidney failure?

Nice to see you on here Mike.
    I think these were written when I was a resolute "above deck " forumite. I spent most of yesterday reading them and they are so far new to me.

I think he was in a car accident that aggravated some of his earlier injuries.

An amazing man who led an amazing life (and yes, at times a bit checkered).

So many have come and gone here, but he is one of the notables for sure.

Downingtown Pa (S/V NIrvana down in Rock Hall, Md)

I can't believe it has been ten years.... I still have a reference to bronze chainplate sizes from him in my library somewhere....
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

I used to tune in regularly to read Chucks stories and was really saddened by his passing. Never met him, but enjoyed his banter a great deal. We also corresponded a couple times and I feel grateful for that. Thanks for posting Chucks story. Nice to read his words again

He had some amazing stories. The one that immediately came to mind was his account of being shot while wearing a bullet proof vest.
    He drew some conclusions from that, If I remember correctly, one was that he was thankful it was not an AK47 that shot him!

RIP Chuck.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

I enjoyed his story's, he added a lot of colour, common sense and a moral centre to this place.
    Did a bit of hunting with an NZ Vietnam vet in the late 1980's and 1990's. Paladin's story's help me understand more about these guys.
    Z

I remember Chuck's generosity well . I was working a few bugs out on my newly launched boat here ,including some battery problems . He offered help and later I recieved a book in the mail : The 12 Volt Docktor's Practical Handboook ; Inscribed : Chuck Phillips ;Tana Mari ; Georgetown NC . This I continue to consult ,but I preserve it in my office .
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 12-24-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Well remembered and well missed.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

and he was a great cook. I still have and use his recipe for fish chowder.

An incredibly interesting life, and a very generous soul, as I recall. You can tell the character of the man by how much he is missed and by whom. He was a special person.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

At one stage I mentioned being in Rhodesia, and got a PM enquiring in what capacity, he had friends there at the time.

Chuck was indeed one of the greats. We had some fascinating PM chats about our respective adventures which weren't suitable for general publication, as well as a lot of "boat talk. I still have the plans he drew for a small cruising boat, nicely done. I wish I'd had the chance to meet him in person. God bless him!

Seventy. I turn that age in a few days. He was too young to pass away. He had so much more to contribute.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."