Thread: Hartley ts16 across the Atlantic.

Default Hartley ts16 across the Atlantic.

And here was me thinking it would be daring to take my ts16 over the bar and 15 miles up the coast to Southport.
    FB_IMG_1636164338898.jpg

FB_IMG_1636164353556.jpg

FB_IMG_1636164367611.jpg

FB_IMG_1636164382656.jpg
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Default Re: Hartley ts16 across the Atlantic.

I'm enquiring about page 67.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Wow Gary, thanks for posting this. I’d heard of the voyage but hadn’t ever seen this article.

I had read a bit about it on a site somewhere quite a while ago when I went looking for information on a couple that I’d met in Darwin and again up in Indonesia who’d sailed their TS16 from Perth (they’d intended to cruise up the coast a bit and kinda just kept on going) - the site had information on a whole bunch of amazing TS16 voyages including these guys. If I can find it again I’ll drop a link to you.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Wow Gary, thanks for posting this. I’d heard of the voyage but hadn’t ever seen this article.

I had read a bit about it on a site somewhere quite a while ago when I went looking for information on a couple that I’d met in Darwin and again up in Indonesia who’d sailed their TS16 from Perth (they’d intended to cruise up the coast a bit and kinda just kept on going) - the site had information on a whole bunch of amazing TS16 voyages including these guys. If I can find it again I’ll drop a link to you.
    Please do Greg.

Thanks for posting the article. An article to remember. Curious what page 67 may bring. C.

I'm guessing that it was modified in various ways, perhaps including a fixed keel with extra ballast?

Sorry I have to ask but the pic is too low res for these old eyes to read :-0

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mitziel View Post
    I'm guessing that it was modified in various ways, perhaps including a fixed keel with extra ballast?

Sorry I have to ask but the pic is too low res for these old eyes to read :-0

Yeah fixed keel with about 380 LBS of lead and substantial reinforcing of the hull and deck.

I have two more ts16 articles i can post if people are interested. Off topic but relevant to TS16s.

Hurricane Andrew? in a ts16? WOW! I hadn't heard about this journey before. Thanks for posting it and good luck finding pg 67. I'm ready for it!

And please do add those other two articles. Definitely interested!

Thanks again!

Eric
    “Perpetual optimism is a force to live by.”

Colin Powell

Page 67 has been found...apparently.

This is worth de-lurking to say thank you for posting this article.

I have a fascination with small boats sailing across oceans and fell in love with plywood Hartleys back in the early '90s when I spent a fair bit of time falling out of a friend's TS16 when I was still living in Australia. This ticks both boxes. I've just bought a set of TS18 plans and was wondering whether I could beef that up to do offshore passages and this kind of answers that.

Interesting thing is that the article is from 1988 and the really big Cat 5 Hurricane Andrew was 1992 so there must been an earlier one as well, still massively impressive for a TS16 to survive it though.
    a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings

It does look quite low in the water and the provision lists and fuel are quite hefty..
    I do wonder a bit about the fascination of crossing big bits of sea in very small boats... It is slightly more comfortable in a bit bigger ones. The fame is not long lived?
    OK in this case some TS16 owners are keen, But? The boat souds quite modified.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    It does look quite low in the water and the provision lists and fuel are quite hefty..
    I do wonder a bit about the fascination of crossing big bits of sea in very small boats... It is slightly more comfortable in a bit bigger ones. The fame is not long lived?
    OK in this case some TS16 owners are keen, But? The boat souds quite modified.
    I have absolutely no desire to emulate the feat in any way. The boat was structurally reinforced and it did have a fixed keel.

Having owned a Hartley 14 I was always amazed by its ability to carry weight but looking at the store list of supplies carried by these guys I’m almost tempted to call it fud

Their water and fuel alone is up around 550 kilos with other provisions easily doubling that and just where does one store 9 slabs of beer in a TS 16.
    Realy the provisions and supply list is more in line with a 35 footer, and who in the world carries 3 Sextants.

Being fascinated doesn't mean I have to do it luckily. I'll happily read about people braver/crazier than me getting out and doing it but stay to waters I'm happier in. More traditional UK offshore jaunts (Channel, North Sea, Irish Sea) are enough for a small boat sailor to want to do imo.
    a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings

Sextants? Well it's Irish to be sure, to be sure, to be sure.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Having owned a Hartley 14 I was always amazed by its ability to carry weight but looking at the store list of supplies carried by these guys I’m almost tempted to call it fud

Their water and fuel alone is up around 550 kilos with other provisions easily doubling that and just where does one store 9 slabs of beer in a TS 16.
    Realy the provisions and supply list is more in line with a 35 footer, and who in the world carries 3 Sextants.
    yea...not to mention the spare man

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Yeah fixed keel with about 380 LBS of lead and substantial reinforcing of the hull and deck.
    Spoil sport alert: Well they are very brave - if that's the right word - but it's not really a ts16 then that crossed the Atlantic :-)

Spoil sport alert: Well they are very brave - if that's the right word - but it's not really a ts16 then that crossed the Atlantic :-)

There are fibreglass TS16s. The shape of the hull wasn't changed, nor was the cabin or rig. TS16 rules only apply to racing boats.

There are fibreglass TS16s. The shape of the hull wasn't changed, nor was the cabin or rig. TS16 rules only apply to racing boats.
    True, but the TS bit stands for trailer sailer :-)

Still, I suppose some small keel boats can be trailered; just not so easy to launch & retrieve. Cheers

True, but the TS bit stands for trailer sailer :-)

Still, I suppose some small keel boats can be trailered; just not so easy to launch & retrieve. Cheers

Ah, I understand.
    20210810_141632.jpg

Okay I'm having a problem with the next page.

Okay I'm having a problem with the next page.
    I'll try again.
    FB_IMG_1636165957357.jpg

FB_IMG_1636200708187.jpg

FB_IMG_1636200718065.jpg

FB_IMG_1636200746618.jpg
    With luck, I have them in the right order.
    I have another article about a TS16 cruise to Zoe Bay on Hinchinbrook Island in Queensland. I'll see if I can find it but it might be a day or two.

Ah, I understand.
    Of course you do; sorry if it seemed I was implying otherwise.

I was just lazily querying whether it is right to regard such a modified boat as being a ts16 which crossed the Atlantic.

But never mind - moot point it is.

16ft. boat, 2 guys. 450 cans of food, 6 cases of beer, etc. . OK, that was 1988, and what's done is done, but my third thought -today- is: What happens to all the litter and trash ocean crossers produce en route? Is there an ocean-crosser code of honour to "Take Your Litter Home!". -I doubt it, and that sours my enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    16ft. boat, 2 guys. 450 cans of food, 6 cases of beer, etc. . OK, that was 1988, and what's done is done, but my third thought -today- is: What happens to all the litter and trash ocean crossers produce en route? Is there an ocean-crosser code of honour to "Take Your Litter Home!". -I doubt it, and that sours my enthusiasm.

All you can do is lead by example and hope others do the same.

Thanks for these article's Gary!

Barrie Heath's article is just what I need right now as I'm finishing the rigging and such. Great reference!
    “Perpetual optimism is a force to live by.”

Colin Powell

Quote Originally Posted by FishoutaFlorida View Post
    Thanks for these article's Gary!

Barrie Heath's article is just what I need right now as I'm finishing the rigging and such. Great reference!
    Yeah there's some good information there that i will be making use of as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Well, one can hope (probably in vain), that cans were smashed and stuck back where they were when full (now taking up a fraction of the space). But, if it makes you feel any better (it won't) dissolved CO2 and plastic (of the micro sort) are a much bigger problem for the oceans than any number of aluminum cans...
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.

This is a fantastic thread. Thanks for posting.

My pleasure.