Thread: Fun Chandlery

Default Fun Chandlery

I hope no one hates on me for giving away a regional treasure, But Longship Marine in Poulsbo, Wa. is a peach! Crazy mix of new and used stuff. Guys coming in with stuff to sell to the place while others are buying. They don't give it away, especially if it is bronze, but it beats dealing with the bidding war online for "antiques" that some bilge-brain wants to make into a table lamp. Downside: the town has decided to wear its distant Scandinavian immigrant heritage pretty thick and tourists are lapping it up.

Ken

Default Re: Fun Chandlery

Quite an interesting website - https://www.longshipmarine.com/

All my boats have bits and pieces from Longship, looking around the room right now I can see 4 oil lamps sourced from there. When Aaron bought it the place was a shambles, bringing in his female partner (not sure what her name is) brought a lot more organization to the space. Lately they seem to always have a wooden boat under going renovation too, good people.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

The place IS a treasure.
    These two own Red Jacket!
    I never go Poulsbo without swinging by, land or sea.
    every town on the water is a tourist place....just go when it's raining not sunny.

Love the store, didn’t know they were the new owners of Redjacket. I’m always amazed that Redjacket can avoid touching bottom at her moorage location. I also miss the black hull, but I understand why they wanted a lighter color.

Longstanding fan! Always a stop if we get to Poulsbo.

I am long overdue for a pilgrimage to Longship. I haven't been there in years. Since before Aaron's ownership for sure.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

I had to visit Poulsbo this morning on another errand which led to 45 minutes of wandering about Longship. No treasures for me today but that's unusual.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by GregH View Post
    Quite an interesting website - https://www.longshipmarine.com/
    Greg, thanks for posting the link - I spent over an hour just browsing their online catalog of boat stuff - thank heavens I am over on the East Coast ! ! !

Rick

Now you've got me looking.

So what would I use this for? A double vice clamp. All I know is that if I saw it at a flea market for $15 I would buy it. They have a pair of single vice clamps, too.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Now you've got me looking.

So what would I use this for? A double vice clamp. All I know is that if I saw it at a flea market for $15 I would buy it. They have a pair of single vice clamps, too.

Those are used when doing standard planking over ribs. One screw clamps to the rib and the other presses the new plank toward the adjacent plank. One generally needs a bunch of them, or some other system of blocks and wedges to do the same thing. Actually now that I look at it more carefully the two screws might be swapped: You can use the simple crank to clamp to the frame, but you would need the clamp with the sliding lever to force the plank because the handle would run into the rib,.... I think....

Ken
    Last edited by kbowen; 10-31-2021 at 09:04 PM.

Yeah, Dave, I saw that clamp, and the calking tools, and the calking mallets, and the epoxy rollers, . . . . . . Interesting how time slips by when you 'browse' a site like that .

Rick

The local place shut down and I have some unneeded stuff. I will swing by there next time I'm in the neighborhood.
    The trick will be leaving with less stuff than I arrived with.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

^ Unheard of -- unless, perhaps, one is in the company of ' the keeper of the checkbook/ chequebook'